• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Nominees for the Spotify Public Choice Award

Last Passenger by Liam Bates
    Marina by Michelino Bisceglia
    Metro Manila by Robin Foster
    Prisoners by Johann Johannsson
    The Hobit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore

Of the two I am not familiar with, Metro Manila is available on iTunes and Marina is available as a CD from Belgium. I am assuming that they are all available on Spotify?

And I'd be wrong: Bisceglia's Marina isn't on Spotify (in the UK anyway).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2014
    Marina is available on Spotify from here. Nothing extraordinary. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015
    Vote here for Public Choice Award
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en/awards
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2015 edited
    Nominees for the American Soundtrack Awards, I mean the WORLD SOUNDTRACK AWARDS 2015...

Film Composer of the Year
    Bruno Coulais
    for ‘Song of the Sea’, ‘Gemma Bovary’, ‘3 hearts’ (‘3 Coeurs’), ‘Mune le guardien de la lune’, ‘Diary of a Chambermaid’ (‘Journal d’une femme de chambre’), ‘Fly Away Solo’

Alexandre Desplat
    for ‘Unbroken’, ‘The Imitation Game’, ‘Everything Will Be Fine’, ‘Tale of Tales’

Michael Giacchino
    for ‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’, ‘Inside Out’, ‘Jupiter Ascending’, ‘Jurassic World’, ‘Tomorrowland’

Johann Johannsson
    for ‘The Theory of Everything’, ‘The 11th Hour’, ‘Sicario’

Hans Zimmer
    for ‘Interstellar’, ‘Chappie’

Best Original Film Score Of The Year

‘Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)’ by Antonio Sanchez
    ‘Cinderella’ by Patrick Doyle
    ‘The Imitation Game’ by Alexandre Desplat
    ‘Interstellar’ by Hans Zimmer
    ‘The Theory of Everything’ by Johann Johannsson

Best Original Song Written For A Film

The Apology Song from ‘The Book of Life’
    Music by Gustavo Santaolalla, lyrics by Paul Williams, performed by Diego Luna

Carry Me Home from ‘Insurgent’
    Music & lyrics by Joseph Trapanese & Christopher Taylor, performed by SOHN

Glory from ‘Selma’
    Music & lyrics by John Legend, Common and Rhymefest performed by Common & Legend

Grateful from ‘Beyond the Lights’
    Music & lyrics by Diane Warren, performed by Rita Ora

Tell Me from ‘Lost River’
    Music & lyrics by Johnny Jewel, performed by Saoirse Ronan
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    Nominees for the American Soundtrack Awards, I mean the WORLD SOUNDTRACK AWARDS 2015...

I don't mind a bit of American spice in there. I mean it's so often been the European Soundtracks Awards teh previous years.

And admit it, chances are that Desplat will win again anyway...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2015 edited
    Yeah, more like the Desplat Soundtrack Awards....

*sigh*
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2015
    I don't agree. It has never been European Soundtrack Awards. The past years were all winners for big movies. Only the discovery award is perhaps a bit more international. The guests have been equally American focused too. Zimmer, Goldenthal, Shore, Newton Howard, Mansell, Desplat (his concert only featured scores for American movies) and this year's Alan Silvestri are barely coming to Gent to show off their European scores.

The idea that the WSA has been too European is not correct IMO.
    Kazoo
  3. Good to see the usual mix of popular composers and composers-who-we-might-be-able-to-get-to-come-next-year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2015
    I don't really mind the American dominance at all (even though they could easily have incorporated more interesting European composers). They are, after all, still the biggest film music event in the world -- atlhough Krakow is giving them a run for the money -- and American composers dominate the world scene.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Hotel booked... guess there's no turning back now. biggrin
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2015
    Nice! Where are you staying?

Would you be in for a dinner on Saturday?
    Do I need to start arrange some stuff (dinner, activities) for the group, or should we just wait and see?
    Kazoo
  5. I'm staying at Best Western Chamade. Nice n close to the venue.
    Arriving Friday pm so got an entire Saturday to re-explore the city. Would be nice to catch up.
    Still trying to decide to go as Press but that's another expense...hm.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  6. Synchrotones wrote
    Hotel booked... guess there's no turning back now. biggrin

cool, it will be good to see new faces, and familiar faces back again too wink
    this will turn out to be a larger gathering than last year tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2015
    I'll change my status to a 'maybe'. Will have to see how finances go over the next month. Really want to come again though - the line-up this year looks great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015
    I'm getting more and more nervous about my 'press' part of the festival. Not sure about the actual concert tickets yet, and they won't respond to my request for a Silvestri interview.

But all the rest is in place, and this is going to be my highlight of the year regardless, I'm sure.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    I'm getting more and more nervous about my 'press' part of the festival. Not sure about the actual concert tickets yet, and they won't respond to my request for a Silvestri interview.

Do you get an auto invite, or do you have to complete the accreditation forms? I had an email about them the other day. I decided against it as it would cost me another E70 which I don't have.
    But then I replied to filmmusicsite's discussion/meet 'n greet offer, so I'm going to that. smile
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015
    When and where will be the Meet and Greet?

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Synchrotones wrote
    Thor wrote

Do you get an auto invite, or do you have to complete the accreditation forms? I had an email about them the other day. I decided against it as it would cost me another E70 which I don't have.

Depends entirely who I'm talking you. It didn't used to be a problem, but it's getting trickier and trickier every time they swap PR people. I was hoping that my longstanding relationship to the festival would get me some easy access, but that's not the case. Oh well....exciting times ahead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    kilar30 wrote
    When and where will be the Meet and Greet?

Thanks

I don't believe a Meet'n'Greet has been set yet.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Sat 24 Oct. 13.00. Kinepolis. See WSA website for more info.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015
    Best Composer of the year
    Michael Giacchino

Best Original Film Score of the Year
    Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) by Antonio Sanchez

Best Original Song Written for a Film
    The Apology Song from The Book of Life
    Music by Gustavo Santaolalla, lyrics by Paul Williams, performed by Diego Luna

Discovery of the Year
    Antonio Sanchez for Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Sabam Award for Best Young Composer
    Peer Kleinschmidt

Public Choice Award
    The Maze Runner by John Paesano

Lifetime Achievement Award
    Patrick Doyle
    Kazoo
  9. Bregt wrote
    Best Original Film Score of the Year
    Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) by Antonio Sanchez

vomit
  10. I know. But it's the only composer they could get to come next year! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think that was really an original score, and added to the movie 's intensity and its fresh execution.
    Kazoo
  11. Many surprises in there (at least for me).

I love The Maze Runner, but public choice award? Really?
    Michael Giacchino? Really? Over Johann Johannsson? I'm guessing this is the set-up for next year.
    Antonio Sanchez? TWICE? SERIOUSLY? He's not even a film composer, by his own admittance.
    Doyle for Lifetime Achievement? Really? When Alan Silvestri is sat next to him, who's been working in the industry for longer, has scored more films, more blockbusters, whose collaboration with Zemeckis out-does Doyle's relationship with Brannagh; and whose cultural footprint, influence and inspiration far exceeds Doyle's.

I love that the WSA exists and I love everything they do for film music, but I cannot agree on their nominees, let alone their winners.
  12. Judging who won what over the last years: Could it be that there is some slight cultural anti-Americanism / European cultural snobbishness at work at the WSA?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015 edited
    The members of the WSA are here; all your favourite composers are in that list:
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en/the-academy

But that's all I know. I don't think there's European snobbism, because usually a lot of American films get the award.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    The members of the WSA are here; all your favourite composers are in that list:
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en/the-academy

But that's all I know. I don't think there's European snobbism, because usually a lot of American films get the award.

It is an interesting list but one has to wonder how active some of the "voting" members are. Leonard Rosenman is one apparently but has been dead since 2008, but maybe he expressed his enthusiasm for Birdman through a proxy.
  13. For those interested, here's my report on the concert and the preceeding meet-n-greet (I'm sure other members can confirm I'm not making anything up); as well as a review of the associated Alan Silvestri CD, which I think is really good.

http://wp.me/p3hOx4-QH

Thanks for reading! smile