• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011 edited
    Hi,

Someone knows if the concert of the World Soundtrack Awards 2009 (with music by Desplat and Hamlisch between other composers) was released in TV?

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012 edited
    Due to the loss of subsidies for the film festival of Ghent, the organisation of the World Soundtrack Awards could be in trouble (in Dutch):
    http://standaard.be/artikel/detail.aspx … d=LD3O10HV

slant
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012
    Bregt wrote
    Due to the loss of subsidies for the film festival of Ghent, the organisation of the World Soundtrack Awards could be in trouble (in Dutch):
    http://standaard.be/artikel/detail.aspx … d=LD3O10HV

slant

shocked

Oh no!

Basically the same destiny as the Krakow festival, then (which was almost cancelled this year for the same reasons).

I certainly hope they'll work it out somehow. It's the biggest friggin' film music event in the world!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. oh boy, this is not good news. I hope these guys understand what kind of a reputation the filmfestival (and subsequent) world soundtrack awards built these last 11 years. It has become one of the most important awards for filmmusic in the world. That's not to be taken lightly

hoping for a positive outcome.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. So can't the event pay its way without the subsidy?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I hope, but I assume it is almost not possible. The organisation of the film festival is non-profit. It's the biggest film festival of Belgium too, with many volunteers and sponsors. Lets hope the subsidy bureau changes its mind.
    Kazoo
  3. If there is anything we, film music fans, can do, let me know. The response to the film music festival problems in Kraków were so beautiful, I personally feel the need to return the favor. Start an action on Facebook/Twitter and things like that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If there is anything we, film music fans, can do, let me know. The response to the film music festival problems in Kraków were so beautiful, I personally feel the need to return the favor. Start an action on Facebook/Twitter and things like that.

If I have the money, I will try to squeeze in Krakow this year. These festivals are apparently closing left and right, so you better know your 'window of opportunity'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Don't panic. It's not cancelled yet!!! They just didn't receive the necessary subsidies which they count on every year. Lets wait a bit.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012 edited
    I hope this will be remedied and the financial support can still be attributed... Why all of a sudden the backing is gone after the success of the last years is staggering! Let's hope for an early april fools?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012
    Just received this in the mail:
    11e Compositiewedstrijd voor jonge Europese filmcomponisten

Jong Europees filmmuziektalent krijgt opnieuw de kans om de felbegeerde SABAM Award For Best Young European Composer binnen te halen. Die prijs werd in het leven geroepen door de World Soundtrack Academy en staat gelijk aan 2.500 euro én de live uitvoering van de composities van de drie finalisten door het Brussels Philharmonic tijdens de uitreiking van de World Soundtrack Awards op 20 oktober in ‘t Kuipke in Gent. Dat is het officiële slotevenement van het 39e Filmfestival Gent (9 - 20 oktober 2012).

Tickets kosten 29, 39 en 49 € en zijn vanaf vrijdag 27 april verkrijgbaar op www.filmfestival.be en in Uitbureau Gent

Which more or less means:
    Blah blah contest blah ... October 20! Price are either 29, 39 or 49, available as of April 24.

So, I guess it's still on, then, and the tickets are cheaper than last year. If i remember correctly, it was about 70 euros per seat? Or was that the parterre that's now been completely occupied by the sponsers?
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  4. Rian wrote
    Which more or less means:
    Blah blah contest blah ... October 20! Price are either 29, 39 or 49, available as of April 24.

So, I guess it's still on, then, and the tickets are cheaper than last year. If i remember correctly, it was about 70 euros per seat? Or was that the parterre that's now been completely occupied by the sponsers?

I don't remember the prices but I don't care. I'm in.

When are we doing a "let's buy our tickets together so we sit together" round like last year?
    Oh, and I DON'T want to go to the same restaurant as this year.

Just wanted to say that on the record wink
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Good news indeed. Seems like WSA will happen! Looking forward to the announcement.

Here's the English press release.

11th composition contest for young European film music composers
    http://www.filmfestival.be/about2.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
    Kazoo
  5. I can purchase the tickets for us all, like last year or the year before. No problem, 49 euros doesn't seem such a bad price at all, considering the hoopla about the subsidies I seriously don't mind it at all wink

anyway, let me know something and I'll do the rest
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'll have to wait.

If the line-up of composers includes Wolfgang Smortenseiter, Ivan Johnson and Bridget Nanfordshire, I'll have to pass.

But glad to see it happening!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have heard rumours that Kevin Wheelbarrow was invited.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    I have heard rumours that Kevin Wheelbarrow was invited.

Really??? Man, consider me THERE!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    Bregt or Thomas, can you keep me up to date when you're buying tickets? I'm not following the forum that much anymore...
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  6. Rian wrote
    Bregt or Thomas, can you keep me up to date when you're buying tickets? I'm not following the forum that much anymore...

I will contact you by sms if we're gonna do something, no problem
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012 edited
    Public Choice Award 2012

Vote for your favourite score (for a film released between July 1st 2011 and June 30th 2012)
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.be/awa … &pass=

You can win 2 VIP tickets and a night at the Mariott.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012
    Film Composer of the Year
    Award can be presented in respect of one film or in respect of a body of work in the year

Alexandre Desplat
    (A Better Life, Carnage, De Rouille Et d’Os (Rust & Bone), Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Moonrise Kingdom, The Ides Of March)

Alberto Iglesias
    (Le Moine (The Monk), La Piel Que Habito (The Skin I Live In), Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)

Cliff Martinez
    (Contagion, Drive)

Howard Shore
    (A Dangerous Method, Cosmopolis, Hugo)

John Williams
    (The Adventures of Tintin, War Horse)

Best Original Film Score of the Year

DRIVE by Cliff Martinez
    HUGO by Howard Shore
    THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN by John Williams
    THE IDES OF MARCH by Alexandre Desplat
    TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY by Alberto Iglesias

Best Original Song written directly for a Film

Lay Your Head Down
    music by Brian Byrne
    lyrics by Glenn Close
    performed by Sinead O’Connor

Breath Of Life
    from 'Snow White And The Huntsman'
    music & lyrics by Florence Welch & Isabella Summers
    performed by Florence + the Machine

The Living Proof
    from 'The Help'
    music & lyrics by Thomas Newman, Mary J. Blige, Harvey Mason Jr. & Damon Thomas
    performed by Mary J. Blige

Man Or Muppet
    from 'The Muppets'
    music & Lyrics by Bret McKenzie
    performed by Jason Segel and Walter

Masterpiece
    from 'W.E.'
    music & lyrics by Madonna, Julie Frost & Jimmy Harry
    performed by Madonna
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012
    DRIVE by Cliff Martinez

Great choice.

HUGO by Howard Shore

No Shore fan, but this is OK. The film is wonderful!

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN by John Williams

Disappointed to see this instead of the far, far superior WAR HORSE.

THE IDES OF MARCH by Alexandre Desplat
    TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY by Alberto Iglesias

Boooooooring.

These are my comments. The End.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    Are you serious? Have you seen ides of march and tinker tailor soldier spy?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. He has Demetris. Don't go there.

My comments are of course the reverse of Thor's, minus TINTIN and WAR HORSE since I haven't seen either film.

I think the score I voted for was TINKER TAILOR actually.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. I'll one-up Thor: I see this list and I can't find my Give-A-Fuck. At all.

Now as for the films apart, I can't say
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Are you serious? Have you seen ides of march and tinker tailor soldier spy?

I have, and I find the films extremely boring. IDES OF MARCH, in particular, which I can hardly remember anything of. TINKER had two strengths -- Hoyte van Hoytema's cinematography and Gary Oldman. Otherwise, it's my idea of an 'anti-film'. Iglesias' score was grating and without direction or even an interesting texture. Then again, I've never been a fan of his.

Too bad, because I loved Alfredson's LET THE RIGHT ONE IN.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I have this theory that Thor's appreciation of a film is inversely related to the sum of the number of character names and location changes. Films with too many of these things are branded anti-cinema (although perhaps anti-Thor would capture the subjectivity of it better), and this tar of a label taints every stylistic element connected with them. Particularly if there's a hint of emotional distance about the story.

Zodiac, Syriana, Tinker tailor soldier spy, Red Riding Hood ... I'm sure there's a few others that have popped up along the way.

[Of course if it's something like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars prequels, then the formula is inverted by what we might call the 'mythic resonance' ratio, and a high number of character names and locations actually adds to the enjoyment. There is also a 'genre resonance' ratio. (There need be no Spielberg resonance ratio, for -- with the exception of Munich or Schindler -- he doesn't do complex realities, and even in those cases, hardly dispassionately.)]

What do you think of American Gangster, Thor? I saw that recently and had to express pleasant surprise at a recent Ridley Scott film with a reasonably literate screenplay, not too many cardboard cutout characters among the main players, etc. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. Steve Zallian. He rarely fails.
  11. I think AMerican Gangster is one of the very best Ridley Scott movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    I have this theory that Thor's appreciation of a film is inversely related to the sum of the number of character names and location changes. Films with too many of these things are branded anti-cinema (although perhaps anti-Thor would capture the subjectivity of it better), and this tar of a label taints every stylistic element connected with them. Particularly if there's a hint of emotional distance about the story.

Zodiac, Syriana, Tinker tailor soldier spy, Red Riding Hood ... I'm sure there's a few others that have popped up along the way.

[Of course if it's something like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars prequels, then the formula is inverted by what we might call the 'mythic resonance' ratio, and a high number of character names and locations actually adds to the enjoyment. There is also a 'genre resonance' ratio. (There need be no Spielberg resonance ratio, for -- with the exception of Munich or Schindler -- he doesn't do complex realities, and even in those cases, hardly dispassionately.)]

What do you think of American Gangster, Thor? I saw that recently and had to express pleasant surprise at a recent Ridley Scott film with a reasonably literate screenplay, not too many cardboard cutout characters among the main players, etc. wink

LOL! biggrin You may be on to something. There's also the bit about dialogue, when the main thrust of it is to relate tons of story information rather than realism, poetry etc. That turns me off like few other things.

AMERICAN GANGSTER is far from my favourite Scott film, but I find things to like in everything he's done. I like the visual style (esp. the contrast between 'blue' urban environments and 'green', exotic locales).
    I am extremely serious.