• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not sure where I saw a question about a season 4 for Fringe but Chris Tilton tweeted last night that there looks like there is going to be a 4th season. Yippee!

http://www.facebook.com/notes/fringe/fo … 2343134271
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited
    This thread kinda died here at maintitles, but I kept the copy thread at FSM running -- basically by replying to myself over and over again! smile

Check it out here:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

Has a long list of all recommended titles.

I've just now finished DOLLHOUSE (which I loved, and was stunned to discover all the negative feedback it got!) and prior to that CARNIVALE, also brilliant.

Will seek out THE DRESDEN FILES next, while still following the ongoing shows - TORCHWOOD, FALLING SKIES, WAREHOUSE 13, FRINGE, DR. WHO, PRIMEVAL, SUPERNATURAL, GAME OF THRONES and THE WALKING DEAD.

Other OK-ish shows I've finished due to these threads (but which haven't won me entirely over):

AMERICAN GOTHIC
    JEREMIAH
    MIRACLES
    ODYSSEY 5
    THE 4400
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited
    I've only now seen this thread.
    I have to say my faves from the 90s and 00s have been:
    Babylon 5: Simply the grandest space opera of them all (on television anyway).
    X Files: Has its highs and lows but a great show overall.
    Firefly: Great show that could have really gone places!
    Doctor Who: Has some very memerable episodes (at times).
    Thats about all I can say off the top of my head.
  1. "The X-Files", though really only to about season 6. Losing Mulder was bad, and Gish sucked ass.

"Time Trax" was a rather enjoyable series. Could have been better. No resolution.

"7 Days" was pretty good, with a good two hour pilot. No resolution.

"Firefly" is excellent. Goes without saying "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel".
    IF you can make it through Season 1 of BTVS, you're rewarded with Season 2. Watch S1 anyway to get a feel of the characters. Lots of continuity and character development.
    "Angel" is like a far more depressing universe. Spun off the character Angel from BTVS, Angel moves to Los Angeles, CA (USA) to keep to himself, start anew after the break up with Buffy. Instead he finds himself taking on evil and events like never before, living, what Wesley called, "Very complicated lives". Wesley, also from BTVS (a few episodes in Season 3), is what many people have noted, possible one of the best TV characters to ever be. His transformation from BTVS to the final episode of "Angel" is most remarkable, very thoughrough, and best of all -- believable. Sadly, it's a tragic series of events that shape whom he becomes. You want to talk balsy endings, no stopping mid-sentence like some series. ;-)

EDIT: The first year or two of the "Season 6" comics, written and directed by Whedon, are good, too. IF you enjoy reading sci-fi, check out Whedon's run on the comics "The Astonishing X-Men" -- simply edxcellent.

"Dollhouse", to me, was unbelievable AWEFUL, and poorly written, plotted, executed, and rushed together. And the scoring is very, very, very lack luster; especially when comapred to Beck and Wanker's work on BTVS.

"Sliders" was kind of fun, and some of those earlier episode, most especially the first couple seasons, were actually pretty good. Even after loosing the lead, a it was still okay. But it dwindled down quickly, and as I recall there was no resolution.

"First Wave" was enjoyable, too. Went for more of the emotional, thinking kind of material.

"Stargate: SG1" was a very enjoyable show, but like many shows, really up to season 6. Though there are some strong ones afterward -- like TX-F. IF you thought the plot idea from the film were interesting, it totally expands on it, and has some fun characters intereaction and quotes ("Indeed.").
    Like all the shows listed above, to a certain extend on some, it has heavy continuity, so watch in order. The TV movies afterward, were good too, most especially "The Ark of Truth", featuring an excellent score by Joel Goldsmith. In my opinion, all the spin off series SUCKED ASS.

"Futurama". Enough said. Anybody want to hear a suite of score from the series?

"Forever Knight". Havent' seen the show since about a year after it ended. Seem to recall it being good.

"PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal".

"Red Dwarf". New season, after ten years, starts in a few months.

"Heroes" is poorly executed, written, planned -- a huge wasted oppritunity. I got excited, but after a few episodes I realized it was crap.

I seem to vaguely recall the "Robocop" live action sries being okay. Had a good opening theme:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7h2IZQetVU
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Good suggestions, Justin, although I've seen most of those shows. But some unkonwn too. Thanks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How do you manage to fit "good" and "90's" in the same sentence?

(wink)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited
    I was a teen in the 90's. For that alone, that decade will always have a special place in my heart; my formative years, so to speak. Even though I never connected to the whole grunge thing, for example. But I was very much into the hardcore electronica that surfaced at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I did grow up in the 90's too although as a teen, only in the late 90's but man, stylistically and musically (Except for film music) it has to be the worst decade ever smile
  2. Now, there is some bad news, all the shows are an hour long, only "Red Dwarf" is 30 minutes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I did grow up in the 90's too although as a teen, only in the late 90's but man, stylistically and musically (Except for film music) it has to be the worst decade ever smile

That depends what kind of music you were into, otherwise I say what you just said is nonsense, the 90's was a great time for music, not just film music. So, what exactly were you listening to that makes your 1990's so bad D?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited
    pop crap. The haircuts, the hideous clothing and upper-waist jeans wink the cheesy movies and the action heroes, vomit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    pop crap. The haircuts, the hideous clothing and upper-waist jeans wink the cheesy movies and the action heroes, vomit.

Dude, that was the 80's! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    lol yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not that our time is anything better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
  3. I wish I could relive the 80s, oh man, what a great decade for music, not just film scores. cool

Not so for the school-going part though. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012 edited
    I'm currently following many shows on the air - ALPHAS, AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM, FRINGE, GRIMM, ONCE UPON A TIME, REVOLUTION, SUPERNATURAL, THE WALKING DEAD and also waiting for the return of others with a paranormal vibe -- DR. WHO, WAREHOUSE 13, GAME OF THRONES, FALLING SKIES. And the last half of the new season of non-paranormal BREAKING BAD.

What I need now are more recommendations of high quality shows I've missed. Doesn't really have to be paranormal (I just finished THE WIRE, as I mentioned elsewhere) -- but that's always an extra element of attraction to me.

I'm thinking about delving into the cancelled THE EVENT. Tried a couple of episodes back when it aired, but it didn't engage me very much then. I'm giving it another chance. I'm thinking about doing the same with SOPRANOS and SIX FEET UNDER -- both of which I've only seen scattered episodes. And while the premise of MAD MEN doesn't really appeal to me, everyone raves about it. And BOARDWALK EMPIRE, maybe?? DEXTER??
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor, did you ever catch a series that only lasted thirteen episodes from 2000 called "The Others"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016 edited
    I don't think so. Thanks for the suggestion, Justin.

I've watched countless shows since I first created this thread, but I've only updated the version over at FSM:

...since that seemed to spawn slightly more activity.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016
    Thor wrote
    I'm thinking about delving into the cancelled THE EVENT. Tried a couple of episodes back when it aired, but it didn't engage me very much then. I'm giving it another chance.

No.

I'm thinking about doing the same with SOPRANOS

YES!!!

and SIX FEET UNDER -- both of which I've only seen scattered episodes.

YES!

And while the premise of MAD MEN doesn't really appeal to me, everyone raves about it.

No.

And BOARDWALK EMPIRE, maybe??

YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!

DEXTER??

Sadly, no. It really peters out after season 2.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I'm sure 2012 Thor would appreciate that advice. tongue

Unless you're saying what not to miss in general... then I understand.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. I got up to most of season five of "Dexter" and it was still good, but the thing about season two is that it was a seat-of-your-pants rollercoaster, so it's hard to top that and sets a bar too high.

By the way, fans of that might want to check out a really short-lived series (only seven of eight episodes) called "Profit".

Thor,

In the last couple of weeks I did a thread at FSM covering "The Others" scoring (which was by Shirley Walker), so you may be interested in checking it out for a feel for the show: