• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited
    Most of the TV shows I follow are either on hiatus - for example V, DR WHO, TORCHWOOD, PRIMEVAL, WAREHOUSE 13, THE WALKING DEAD - or cancelled/ended altogether (too many to list).

The only ones still "alive" and airing are FRINGE and STARGATE UNIVERSE.

So I need some recommendations of good sci fi/paranormal TV shows from the 1990's and onwards?

Since I've gone "dry", you can imagine that I've seen a lot. So no point in recommending X-FILES, LOST or BATTLESTAR GALACTICA etc. You get the point.

Thanks!

PS. Not too keen on the sci fi/fantasy/"pointed ear"-type sci fi a la STAR TREK, FARSCAPE or earlier STARGATE incarnations. BABYLON 5 is about the only series I've liked in this category.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011
    For me, nothing beats BABYLON 5.

STAR TREK in it's various incarnations ( Deep Space 9, Voyager, the other one I can't remember but had that geezer from Quantum Leap in it ) were incredibly variable, mostly in the negative for me but did have the odd stand out episodes.

X-FILES I liked, LOST I hated, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA I've yet to see.

DOCTOR WHO & TORCHWOOD has been both excellent and utter dross at times.

PRIMEVAL is the most fun.

I'm really not sure what the point of my pointless post is Thor, I haven't got anything "new" I can think of to recommend?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. First thing that popped into my head was a show called Warehouse 13.

I've seen it said that this is a cross between The X-Files (paranormal/sci-fi), Raiders of The Lost Ark (secret warehouse collecting artifacts from across time) and Moonlighting (male-female partner double act).

A couple of secret agents are assigned to a secret warehouse that houses supernatural artifacts. They retrieve artifacts missing from the warehouse and also investigate reports of new ones.

A trailer here gives a sense of what it is about.

I liked it but lost track of when it was showing as it was consigned to the depths of satellite TV.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, you'll see that I mentioned WAREHOUSE 13 above. I've seen the whole show so far, but it doesn't start up again untill July, so it's one of those that are on hiatus right now. Fun show, though. Very unpretentious and not very "heady" - but straightforward with lots of comedy elements.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Yeah, you'll see that I mentioned WAREHOUSE 13 above. I've seen the whole show so far, but it doesn't start up again untill July, so it's one of those that are on hiatus right now. Fun show, though. Very unpretentious and not very "heady" - but straightforward with lots of comedy elements.

Damn! Sorry about that. Missed that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, there is this series called BEING HUMAN on BBC

Being Human is a British supernatural drama television series. It was created and written by Toby Whithouse and is currently broadcast on BBC Three.[1] The show blends elements of flatshare comedy and horror drama. It stars Aidan Turner as Mitchell (a vampire), Russell Tovey as George (a werewolf) and Lenora Crichlow as Annie (a ghost) all of whom are sharing accommodation and attempting - as best as they can - to live a "normal" life and blend in with the ordinary humans around them. The first two series were set in in Totterdown, Bristol; during the show's third series, Sinead Keenan became part of the main cast, and the series relocated to Barry Island, Wales.[2][3]

I haven't seen it but Mel reckons it's absolutely brilliant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds a bit like BUFFY, tone-wise.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Dollhouse!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

The few bits and pieces I've seen of it look good, it's all high quality stuff and looks a lot grittier than Buffy.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

The few bits and pieces I've seen of it look good, it's all high quality stuff and looks a lot grittier than Buffy.

It is a lot grittier than Buffy and definitely one of the best things on TV at the moment. The recent series has just finished on BBC3 and it had left a big hole in the week's viewing.

And something else that's absolutely brilliant is True Blood - another vampires/werewolves show. There are 3-4 of these left until the end of season 3 and that's going to leave another big hole when it ends.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

It is a lot grittier than Buffy and definitely one of the best things on TV at the moment. The recent series has just finished on BBC3 and it had left a big hole in the week's viewing.

Being Human

And something else that's absolutely brilliant is True Blood - another vampires/werewolves show. There are 3-4 of these left until the end of season 3 and that's going to leave another big hole when it ends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked
    I tried the first episode of True Blood, and I thoroughly disliked it.
    Hokey, uninteresting plot, utterly unlikeable characters (not because they're evil. Because they're F*CKING ANNOYING! Especially the "heroine")...and those accents.... see, American Gothic got away with it because it was such an excellent show....this? Not so much. Yuck!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    TRUE BLOOD?!? I thought that was teenage schlock like those TWILIGHT thingies??
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Being Human is a lot grittier than Buffy and definitely one of the best things on TV at the moment. The recent series has just finished on BBC3 and it had left a big hole in the week's viewing.

Being Human

True Blood
  6. The accents on True Blood can be annoying because of the Deep South, but I think that the location suits the feel of the whole show down to the ground.

I would thoroughly recommend anyone stick with this as long as they can. There are some great characters in the show. Admittedly the second season does go off course a bit with the storyline but season 1 and season 3 are rip-roaringly good.

And maybe the Scandinavian links of some of the vampires may appeal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    One of the best scenes I have seen on TV was on True Blood: the mad vampire Russell Edgington's interruption on the news channel where he tells people how it is with vampires.

It is very gory at the start and it is a spoiler clip for people who are watching season 3 of True Blood. But it highlights some of the tone in the show at the moment.

CLIP
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    What about Dark Skies (1996) which was excellent but got canned after only one season !
    The new Outer Limits (1994) had some amazing episodes as well , Space Above And Beyond (1995) which had some poignant episodes but unfortunately also got canceled after only one season and of course the above mentioned X-Files (1993) . I was glued to the screen each week when it originally aired here ! Or maybe Gillian Anderson had something to do with that ?! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  7. There was a show called Sliders that I remember but I can't recall whether it was any good or not. Which probably means that it was not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Dollhouse!

I agree. VERY underrated TV show.

Nothing can beat 'The X Files' though. And nothing will.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There was a show called Sliders that I remember but I can't recall whether it was any good or not. Which probably means that it was not.

It wasn't good at all, very cheesy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011 edited
    What about Sanctuary?

I don't know it very well, but on lazy sunday afternoons we watch SyFy channel and lately the program is X-files, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13. And Fringe, I think.

Warehouse 13 is the only one I watch (love it!), the others I listen to with one ear while doing something else.

I got into Stargate from Atlantis onwards. Never watched the original Stargate series, but I like Atlantis and Universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There was a show called Sliders that I remember but I can't recall whether it was any good or not. Which probably means that it was not.

Sliders was a fun sunday morning series. Don't remember very well either, except that we watched it. Perhaps more a youth series?

It was followed by Xena and Animorphs. wink
    That's why I'm wondering if Sliders was more a kids show than adult sci-fi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    And then there was a time when on sunday evening we saw Ghost Whisperer and Medium. Later on there was a new show Supernatural, but I only saw the first episode that freaked me out, so I never finished that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thor wrote
    PS. Not too keen on the sci fi/fantasy/"pointed ear"-type sci fi a la STAR TREK, FARSCAPE or earlier STARGATE incarnations. BABYLON 5 is about the only series I've liked in this category.

What about Star Trek Voyager?

I never liked The Next Generation for the reason you mention here, but I loved Voyager. Full of science, philosophy and ethics.

I have good memories of the 'marathon' we did a couple of years ago. We watched the complete Voyager series in half a year.

Hey, that's funny, I wanted to see how many episodes that is.
    7 seasons x 26 episodes = 182 episodes.
    In half a year, that is exactly one episode a day average.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Unfortunately, it's the whole "aliens with pointy ears, blue faces and twisted foreheads speaking broadly American, maybe with an accent" that turns me off. No matter which STAR TREK version you're talking about, even VOYAGER or the last version, ENTERPRISE. It's also something about the whole gaudiness of the ST universe. It requires some SERIOUS brilliant writing to overcome this annoyance, which BABYLON 5 for some reason managed. Something about the whole political/religious/mythological backstory, I think. And the smokey, industrial, neonlit atmosphere of the station and the home planets, a far cry from the clean and tidy sterility of ST.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Not sure where I saw a question about a season 4 for Fringe but Chris Tilton tweeted last night that there looks like there is going to be a 4th season. Yippee!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not sure where I saw a question about a season 4 for Fringe but Chris Tilton tweeted last night that there looks like there is going to be a 4th season. Yippee!

Great news indeed!!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I still have to finish watching season 1, but I intend to follow this series all the way through. So news of a season 4 is most welcome.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    I remember seeing a show called Earth 2 in the mid nineties which I liked. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108758/

And I assume you've seen Firefly wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ranietz wrote
    I remember seeing a show called Earth 2 in the mid nineties which I liked. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108758/

And I assume you've seen Firefly wink

EARTH 2 is fantastic, one of the most underrated series of all time! Refreshing to see Clancy Brown in something other than villain roles.

And FIREFLY is obviously a classic. I'm happy they got to resolve the loose ends, more or less, in the feature film SERENITY, although I had hoped for more episodes instead, of course.
    I am extremely serious.