• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The places I go (used to go):

Filmtracks - While people may bash Film Score Monthly for the low quality of discussion, I really think that Filmtracks is the ghetto of film music discussion in the online world. I can justify it through, the lack of discipline or monitoring by Christian Clemmensen (site operator). Simply put, he just allows anything to be put on the forum; religious trolls, picture of male genitals, political rants, anything. There's probably a reason why businesses can less willing to put advertisements on Filmtracks, with the recession as a convenient excuse. Plus, the film score topics on the board sort of repeat themselves after a while. Some of the poster there just take CC's opinions and make them their own, rather than thinking for themselves (an example is the flaming of The Social Network score).

(Warning: I may be biased because I was almost banned from Filmtracks, because a few elitist influential people, who did not like me, and had Christian's ear).

Film Score Monthly - While people have had their fun over the years poking fun at FSM and its users, there are a few decent things about it. First is the quantity of users that visit Film Score Monthly every day. Another is that there is a dedicated moderator that keeps people [relatively] in line with the forum rules and such. If you don't flame anyone or start a controversial thread, Film Score Monthly is not a bad place to talk about film music. Plus, there are a fair number of industry experts on FSM so there's always hints about releases and such. That being said, it's nostalgic station number one (alot of older people on there), where sweeping generalizations are made about modern film music everyday and the prejudice of the only way to score a movie is with a 100 piece orchestra and not electronics is always present and visible. And that they want every score released, no matter how mediocre, and will act like children if it isn't released.

JWFan - It's like an American MainTitles. Small and lesser known than the two mentioned above. It's very intimate (like a pub) with a clique of users already there, so if you're a bit of an outsider, you probably would be there too. One bad thing about the place is that it gets horribly off topic rather quickly. It shares the nostalgic feelings of 'orchestra only' like FSM.

Movie Music UK - Dead.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011
    Also ScoreReviews.net.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Also ScoreReviews.net.

And here at MAINTITLES would not exist if it hadn't been for ScoreReviews. For which we thank Andy and our keeper of the flame Bregt punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If you don't mind a little copy-pasting from your topic over at jwfan, Kevin:

FSM is the place I've been the longest (since its inception back in 1997), so I have a special relationship to that. However, over the last 6-7 years, I've felt more and more alienated from the main crowd there, for a variety of reasons (cultural, interests, background, general way of debating). It's by far the most active board on the net, though, so you may find some interesting discussions once in a blue moon. If the other boards are slow, you can always find something going on there.

Maintitles.net is by far my favourite film music board on the net. Good mood, few controversies, people having respect for opposing viewpoints and preferences, nice debates once in a while and a casual, informal atmosphere that I like. Plus it's European-heavy, which makes it closer to home. If FSM is the big disco, this is the little pub on the corner. I also met several of the regulars in Ghent last year, which was an awesome experience. If it had been more active, I would have been there all the time.

This place [jwfan] is nice too, although there are some elements that don't QUITE make me feel "comfortably at home" here, which is one of the reasons why I haven't been very active here over all these years. Not sure how fruitful it is to point out these elements when I'm in the lion's cage, though! [but since I'm reposting this outside the cage, I can say that it has to do with the general "fandom level" related to Williams, too many jokes and too little serious discussion (I love an even balance), a bit too defensive attitudes in terms of opposing viewpoints and preferences and a bit too "cluttered" interface].

The Music for a Darkened People board is nice for Elfman discussions, although the tree-format is archaic and cumbersome and the activity is low.

I occasionally drop by moviemusic.com and intrada, but not for long. Not a lot happening there. I haven't visited Filmtracks since the late 90's, I think.

That's about it for me, I think.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I don't think I've ever been on any score related forum before MT. Here I found my place, and I wasn't even looking. I'm not the most discussing person ever born, I'm just not too technically proficient about scores, orchestra's and such but I do like to give my two cents once in a while, more a general feeling of how a score makes me feel. I like the people of MT, the overall atmosphere and the fact I've stumbled upon some incredible music that I didn't even knew existed, thanks to some of the cool gents here. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't think I've ever been on any score related forum before MT. Here I found my place, and I wasn't even looking. I'm not the most discussing person ever born, I'm just not too technically proficient about scores, orchestra's and such but I do like to give my two cents once in a while, more a general feeling of how a score makes me feel. I like the people of MT, the overall atmosphere and the fact I've stumbled upon some incredible music that I didn't even knew existed, thanks to some of the cool gents here. beer

Plus you've met some of us "in the flesh". That makes things more palatable.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I only ever visit the FSM board when I am not here. Although it does veer off into ranting arguments there's a lot of knowledge there that makes it a good source of information - my recent Shostakovich question on The Battleship Potemkin there was well received and lots of information was provided. As well as film music enthusiasts there are several business players so - as someone said - there's an industry perspective to some of the discussions. I tend to visit there at least once a day to read about the gossip on possible upcoming releases.

I used to visit Intrada's forum but didn't really participate. A while back their forum seemed to have been hijacked by some rogue code(?) that meant it had been infected by some malware or something (if I remember correctly). I stopped visiting there for a few weeks until it was sorted out and never really went back.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011 edited
    Interesting posts guys. Here're a few thoughts:

There's a wealth of knowledge to be found among the members of FSM. But I've always found it a bit too big, and with very few threads that I bother reading. Sometimes when there are so many members, one kinda develops indifference about them. Here, with fewer members and more personal discussions it's easier to get to know people and be interested in their likes and dislikes. Also, where MT really excels is the humour. These forums have given me many belly laughs, especially from Martijn, Timmer, Steven (sniff) a.o.

I can kinda see the charm in the non-moderation at Filmtracks, because it makes the place really crazy sometimes; it wouldn't be the same without the religious trolls. That said, it is rather weird that such a place doesn't allow swear words anymore. I really don't get that. As if saying the word "shit" is somehow more offensive than a member's profile picture of an erect penis.

There are lots of good members at Filmtracks, many of whom I think would fit well in here on MT. That said, I often find the place a bit boring. A bit too many threads are about posting long lists of people's favourite scores, something that's not really interesting to look at or participate in. There are good discussions once in a while too though and when you've been there a while you start to realize that many of the members have interesting thoughts and valuable information.

Then there's moviemusic.com's forums. This is a kind of mini-FSM, but the discussions have slowed down so much that I've stopped going there.

Oh, and I don't think moviemusic.uk's forums have been mentioned yet. It seems like a friendly place too, even though there isn't too much activity.

And isn't there a forum called Hornershrine or something?

Peter smile
  4. Thor wrote
    If you don't mind a little copy-pasting from your topic over at jwfan, Kevin:

Hey, it's called creating discussion, and I have no qualms about the copy-paste feature.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I visit almost all of the boards mentioned here and have no problem with any, though this is my favourite and where I am most active.

FSM seems to be the most controversial. My main problem with it is that it is just so popular, I find it impossible to keep up with the discussions. If I make a post before going to bed, say, then by the time I get up in the morning there may well have been 50 subsequent posts in the thread, and several dozen new threads created - so I think it's hard for me to make any meaningful contribution to it. Also, given that it's American-centric (especially compared with here, which is so Euro-centric) most of the posting does take place when I'm asleep!

I also think the heavy participation of people from "within the industry" there harms it. It's fascinating in a way, of course, to read what they have to say; but I think it affects many people's behaviour. It seems to be forbidden to post not just any criticism, but anything other than absolute masturbatory praise, about any of the record labels or stores whose employees post there (ie FSM itself, obviously, and Intrada and La-La and probably others I'm not thinking about). Yet take a label which doesn't post there - Varese Sarabande - and the reverse is true. It seems to be pretty much compulsory to slag them off at any available opportunity.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It does seem hypocritical. My peeve too is that posts just get lost amongst the heavy traffic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've never spent anytime at all on Filmtracks and no little or nothing about CC. FSM does have something to offer from time to time. Intrada is mostly advertising their products. I'm sorry that Golden Scores didn't make it.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's really too bad that you didn't keep Golden Scores up-to-date, Tom. It was a fantastic site and the discussions were stimulating.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. I'm sorry Tom that I didn't contribute to any great extent on Golden Scores. I know when you first started out on it I was hoping to contribute some content to it, however, I wasn't able to commit enough time to add much to it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. My message board seems to have died a death, and I'm not entirely sure why. For a while there it was pretty popular, but people drift away to other places... c'est la vie.

I only post here, at Filmtracks and FSM. I lurk at the Intrada board and look in from time to time, but that's pretty much it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011
    I browse some of the other forums mentioned now and again but rarely post. This is the only one in which I'm active.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011 edited
    Good thread!

ScoreReviews/MT was the only place I used to go with the exception of occasionally posting on hans-zimmer.com

Now however it's just MT and FSM. Here is definitely the friendliest place to be and where I am happiest posting and having a joke. FSM has some "industry" involvement which can be useful for updates but I always feel that someone is going to criticise me if I post something negative. Granted they probably won't but things have felt rather hostile over there recently. It's nice to have a groan about some things. wink
  7. On FSM, the words 'holy grail' come up FAR too often for my liking. What a silly concept.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011
    My Film Music:A Neglected Art is well visited and if Bregt follows thru on the special page for Gerhardt this could lead to more. I could still do Golden Scores but Bregt would have to set it up so I could put up the reviews and then I would have to do some sort of promotion. At this time it seems unlikely.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    On FSM, the words 'holy grail' come up FAR too often for my liking. What a silly concept.

Why? It's only a term to describe an individuals personal quest to own a score that they love and isn't available, I have no problems with that term and have used it myself many times, my personal grails are very few now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    On FSM, the words 'holy grail' come up FAR too often for my liking. What a silly concept.

Then you must absolutely loathe Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    My Film Music:A Neglected Art is well visited and if Bregt follows thru on the special page for Gerhardt this could lead to more. I could still do Golden Scores but Bregt would have to set it up so I could put up the reviews and then I would have to do some sort of promotion. At this time it seems unlikely.
    Thomas

I think you need to merge Golden Scores and Film Music: The Neglected Art into one entity. You need to find a new Wordpress template that has similar colors to your Golden Scores site and can be customizable to make it look for like a "review web site" instead of a blog. Just a suggestion.

-Erik-
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Then you must absolutely loathe Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

-Erik-

cheesy

But in the case of Monthy Python its silliness is all too appropriate.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Why? It's only a term to describe an individuals personal quest to own a score that they love and isn't available, I have no problems with that term and have used it myself many times, my personal grails are very few now.

Yes but,

It's just a CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not "just a CD." We all have a passion for film music (maybe you don't) so we like to consider those scores that we absolutely adore but haven't been released yet to be holy grails. If you don't like it, move along!

-Erik-
  9. All I suggested was that the use of the words 'quest' and 'holy grail' when talking about unreleased film scores that people like/love just seem to be the wrong words (to me at least).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bah! Again, it's passion, it's fun! Seems like you are lacking those two qualities? There is nothing WRONG with being passionate! There are far more serious things to be worried about.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011
    yeah
  10. I think that "holy grail" has really become a phrase for any score that someone really wants but it's not available yet. If that's what the phrase has become then it's not too overused: there are still lots of titles that have yet to see the light of day and which many people are looking forward to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011
    It is a little cheesy though, you have to admit smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.