• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011
    No, then it would be a Holy Feta.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    It is a little cheesy though, you have to admit smile

A bit of an overstatement, yeah, but it's a term that works and everyone knows what you mean by it. It certainly isn't a term I get worked up about and I'll continue to use it when appropriate.

The one that bugs me is where you have lists of scores/composers/favourite tracks and whatever and there's always a number of people who'll say "I can't believe noboby has mentioned 'composer-X, Track-Y*' etc.

*this happens a lot at FSM.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    No, then it would be a Holy Feta.

Holy chedder cheese Batman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    The one that bugs me is where you have lists of scores/composers/favourite tracks and whatever and there's always a number of people who'll say "I can't believe noboby has mentioned 'composer-X, Track-Y*' etc.

Yeah... that one is a little bizarre!

Here is another interesting comparison. Have any of you visited the FSM Now Playing thread? A good majority of the members just post hyperlinks to a cover image (usually from Amazon) of the score they are playing and don't make any further comments. Zzzzzzzzzz...

That's what makes the MT much more interesting place to hang out. Some of the most stimulating conversations have happened in the Now Playing threads here at MT due to the fact that the people here take the time to at least write a few words about the score they are listening to. Anyone can hyperlink to an image but I think the truly passionate film music fans have something to say about the score they are listening to.

Filmtracks also has Now Playing threads. Actually, a brand new Now Playing thread is opened each and every day and the members over there are as equally passionate about their music as we are.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that "holy grail" has really become a phrase for any score that someone really wants but it's not available yet. If that's what the phrase has become then it's not too overused: there are still lots of titles that have yet to see the light of day and which many people are looking forward to.

I definitely agree Alan but my opinion of the term "holy grail" would mean that one score you're lusting to have that isn't available. I think if you have a 100 holy grails the expression loses its original intent. I would use Shane as an example.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

I think you need to merge Golden Scores and Film Music: The Neglected Art into one entity. You need to find a new Wordpress template that has similar colors to your Golden Scores site and can be customizable to make it look for like a "review web site" instead of a blog. Just a suggestion.

-Erik-

I certainly think that this is a great suggestion but I don't know how to include the messageboard. I think I need server space for that.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I certainly think that this is a great suggestion but I don't know how to include the messageboard. I think I need server space for that.
    Thomas

As long as you have a comment section at the end of each review, blog post, etc you don't need a message board.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    It's just Holy Grail has religious undertones to it all. It just makes your like/love of a score seem over-the-top. Why can't a treasure just be a treasure and not a holy grail. Doesn't everyone know that Holy Grails can take life away (if you choose poorly...)
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Tom, I can host a WordPress installation on the current goldenscores.com address. We can then look for an appropriate layout (temporary). We can then add the older reviews again as well.

Perhaps Anthony might be interested in doing a design for the site? I just don't have the time anymore to do that.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    Tom, I can host a WordPress installation on the current goldenscores.com address. We can then look for an appropriate layout (temporary). We can then add the older reviews again as well.

Perhaps Anthony might be interested in doing a design for the site? I just don't have the time anymore to do that.

We'll see if Anthony is willing to help.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

As long as you have a comment section at the end of each review, blog post, etc you don't need a message board.

-Erik-

I'm not so sure about that. In 5 years I've had film music: a neglected art I've had but 360 comments which amounts to a little more than one comment a week. I think the messageboard would work better.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I will help you with the forum Tom, but can't promise when. I'll set up the WordPress and let you know.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Here is another interesting comparison. Have any of you visited the FSM Now Playing thread? A good majority of the members just post hyperlinks to a cover image (usually from Amazon) of the score they are playing and don't make any further comments. Zzzzzzzzzz...

I actually love that thread, and I think I was at one point responsible for introducing the "image-only" NP....if only people could stick to the rules and post a single pic of the soundtrack they're listening to right then and there. No multiple images, no goddamn embedded youtube videos (that make my computer act up) and so on.

If it had been neat and tidy like that, it would have been cool. There's something about an image that says more than a thousand words, a very "in-the-moment" feel. Discussion ensuing from an NP is fine, but don't quote the picture/soundtrack you want to comment on! Clogs things up.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    It's just Holy Grail has religious undertones to it all.

So...

KevinSmith wrote
    It just makes your like/love of a score seem over-the-top. Why can't a treasure just be a treasure and not a holy grail.

But the Holy Grail is a treasure... the ultimate treasure!

Obtaining your film music holy grail is something very exciting so an over-the-top reaction is usually the normal when a holy grail CD is released. I know that I went absolutely bonkers when Back To The Future was announced. And I will fooking loose it when a complete Hook is announced!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    There's something about an image that says more than a thousand words, a very "in-the-moment" feel.

I guess but if the image is of a CD I've never heard I would like it if the listener would write a little something about the album. Maybe there will be a keyword in the mini-review that will pique my interest.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah... that one is a little bizarre!

That's what makes the MT much more interesting place to hang out. Some of the most stimulating conversations have happened in the Now Playing threads here at MT due to the fact that the people here take the time to at least write a few words about the score they are listening to. Anyone can hyperlink to an image but I think the truly passionate film music fans have something to say about the score they are listening to.

Filmtracks also has Now Playing threads. Actually, a brand new Now Playing thread is opened each and every day and the members over there are as equally passionate about their music as we are.

-Erik-

That thread at FSM doesn't interest me and I rarely look at it, on the other hand I love their OT Now Playing thread because there's stuff there I find genuinely interesting and have gone on to purchase with favourable results.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    It's just Holy Grail has religious undertones to it all. It just makes your like/love of a score seem over-the-top. Why can't a treasure just be a treasure and not a holy grail. Doesn't everyone know that Holy Grails can take life away (if you choose poorly...)

It's here to stay, you'll just have to live with it Kevin. wink Until you brought it up I'd never even thought about it, I can see your POV but really, does it matter?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

Argh, yes! That's one of my worst pet peeves. The number of times I've seen it at FSM makes me want to tear my hair out. The worst is when someone does it in the third or fourth post of a thread. I've actually seen that. Argh!

Peter crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Word. The most fascinating NP threads are indeed here and at Filmtracks. The FSM thread is just dreadful. I want to hear opinions. I've absolutely no interest in seeing some random CD cover and I don't understand why anyone would.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Argh, yes! That's one of my worst pet peeves. The number of times I've seen it at FSM makes me want to tear my hair out. The worst is when someone does it in the third or fourth post of a thread. I've actually seen that. Argh!

Peter crazy

That doesn't annoy me so much. However, when someone starts a topic on the ESSENTIAL or must-haves of a given composer, and then the composer's entire discography is mentioned a few posts down, that's a bit annoying. It's not a competition in naming the most titles by a composer. It's trying to boil it down to the essentials to provide a fruitful buyer's guide.

I feel that most fans often lack the ability to take one step back and look at things a BIT more objectively.

Regarding the image/NP thing again, I feel there's something beautiful about the simplicity of it; like watching a painting at an exhibition. Plus the fact that it's happening RIGHT NOW, at another place in the world. If I want opinions and discussions on said scores, I can get that in other threads.

Even here at maintitles, I rarely give more than a sentence on the score I'm playing, sometimes not even that or about the music itself!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Regarding the image/NP thing again, I feel there's something beautiful about the simplicity of it; like watching a painting at an exhibition. Plus the fact that it's happening RIGHT NOW, at another place in the world. If I want opinions and discussions on said scores, I can get that in other threads.

Even here at maintitles, I rarely give more than a sentence on the score I'm playing, sometimes not even that or about the music itself!

But at least that's something! An image tells me that you are playing it... great... but it's far more interesting to know that while you are listening to the score these are your thoughts as well.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Peter crazy

Next time I see one of those threads that warrants it I'm going to post the most OTT "I can't believe nobody has mentioned..." I can possibly do, look out for it in a future FSM post. wink
  1. Most over the top... Mention that with a piece by, say, Modern Talking and see the reaction bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Most over the top... Mention that with a piece by, say, Modern Talking and see the reaction bunny

I'd really rather not remember EVER AGAIN Modern Talking vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FSM has its own unique somewhat successful following. There are actually a few who are quite knowledgeable about Golden film music but aren't very accessible.
    Thomas smile
  2. But really, isn't saying a certain score that you love dearly as your very favourite, just as expressive as calling it a Holy Grail?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin... you obviously don't get it... move along!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    But really, isn't saying a certain score that you love dearly as your very favourite, just as expressive as calling it a Holy Grail?

No, it isn't! STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE is a score I love dearly and is one of my very favourites but it can't be a grail because I already have it, a grail is the as yet unattainable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin... you obviously don't get it... move along!

-Erik-

yeah

As Ford T would say...

NEXT
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Next time I see one of those threads that warrants it I'm going to post the most OTT "I can't believe nobody has mentioned..." I can possibly do, look out for it in a future FSM post. wink

Will do.

Peter wink