• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    100% on rottentomatoes? Man, seems like NOLAN really knows his stuff - unlike what some people might believe wink

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/

I am deeply enthusiastic about the movie, want to watch it asap.

Wooooow! I wanna watch it asap, too!! biggrin
  1. Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    seems like NOLAN really knows his stuff - unlike what some people might believe wink

Who ever said he didn't? (And before you say me, then also note that I said he knows a lot about cinema. I think he's one of the most talented directors I've ever known about. He just lacks one vital part of cinematic know how IMO. Music.)

Maybe he's scared that he will go to the second extreme, so he prefers to stay ambient?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    seems like NOLAN really knows his stuff - unlike what some people might believe wink

Who ever said he didn't? (And before you say me, then also note that I said he knows a lot about cinema. I think he's one of the most talented directors I've ever known about. He just lacks one vital part of cinematic know how IMO. Music.)

I think he can join a handful of otherwise great directors in that department rolleyes slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    I smell 'overrated'.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Dark Knight... if Michael Bay wrote and directed it.

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blog/show? … t%3A355506

biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Spot on biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    Today, The Dark Knight was released over here in the U.S. (I don't know when it comes out for all you European/Asians.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    Here in Greece as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    Here in Greece as well.

Cool. I'm not yet sure when I'm going to go see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    biggrin

smile wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    Believe it or not, but I have never seen a Batman movie.
    Should I just start with the first, so in the order the movies were made?
    Or can I go watch The Dark Knight first as well? I have no idea.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Watching the first won't hurt. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks! And after the first?
    Is there a bigger story or are they just movies that stand on their own?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    They're 90% standalone, however you'll care for the characters more if you've seen the first. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't bother with Batman Forever and especially Batman & Robin... come to think of it, Burton's films aren't that great too IMO (though a good reason to watch all 4 of them is for the music, each pre-Nolan film has a great score). Start with Batman Begins so you're not put off the Batman franchise, that's my advice!

I'd love to have begun with Batman Begins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Starting off with Batman Begins is very woorthwhile to get you into the current franchise (and it's a damn good movie to boot!)

For another era's take on Batman, try and watch Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns from the eighties for their wonderful, dark fairy-tale-like quality (as many Burton films have).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am off to watch it in a couple of hours! punk
  3. I would honestly advise to stay as far away from the four movies Tim Burton started as you can.

Start with Batman Begins, it´s is a much needed restart of the franchise, and an oh-my-god fantastic one. It is a great introduction to the character and all the major and minor players in Gotham City, and a great movie even if you´re not into superhero stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I would honestly advise to stay as far away from the four movies Tim Burton started as you can.

Start with Batman Begins, it´s is a much needed restart of the franchise, and an oh-my-god fantastic one. It is a great introduction to the character and all the major and minor players in Gotham City, and a great movie even if you´re not into superhero stuff.

Couldn't agree MORE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I didn't like Neeson as Ducard at all though. Such a typecast role for Neeson, and it's getting boring. I'm glad he's not in The Dark Knight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Couldn't agree MORE!

beer

Tim Burton ruined that franchise for fifteen years.

Just imagine what James Cameron or Ridley Scott could have done with it...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Oh, and I was talking about starting with Batman Begins right from the start. tongue

I must say, Clooney as Batman is pretty hilarious though. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hard to believe the level of success and talent he's shown since! Clooney's a friggin legend.
  4. Clooney´s the king. If you need proof, watch Solaris and From Dusk till Dawn in a row. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You are both very wrong. tongue
    wink

Seriously, though, Tim Burton's take on the Bat is a wonderful, quirky, and -at the time- pretty genre-defining dark fairytale. It works brilliantly for the Bat that was. Batman has ben defined and redefined into numerous continuities ever since his inception, and Burton's take was as good and valid as the camp sixties TV show was in its day.

I agree the two sequels have milked the formula to death as without Burton's storytelling, the whole thing spiralled downwards into all style over substance.
    However honestly the Burton take is as good as the reboot.
    Just because some people prefer the moder take by no means makes it better. There simply is no authoritative version of Batman. It's all preference.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I would honestly advise to stay as far away from the four movies Tim Burton started as you can.

I wouldn't. Even though they aren't made in the "serious" vain as Nolan's pictures there is much to like about the first two films. BTW, Burton was only involved with Batman Forever as a producer.

Anyway, in Batman we get a fantastic performance by Jack Nicholson as the Joker. I absolute love the miniature sets. The cinematography is great and set the dark, Gothic tone for comic book films that came after it. Michael Keaton is GREAT Batman. The Batmobile LOOKS sweet! And of course you get a great score by Danny Elfman.

As for Batman Returns. Again, great actors portrying the bad guys in the film. Danny Devito eats up his role as The Penguin. Michelle Pfeiffer is sexy and evil as Catwoman. And Christopher Walkin is also a blast as Max Shreck. The scenes with Keaton and Pfeiffer are wonderfully acted. Great cemestry. Again, as with Batman, Returns has killer sets, great cinematography and another brilliant score by Elfman. Elfman's music alone blows away anything written in the Nolan films.

As for the Schumacher movies. They are corn ball camp that harks back to the 1960's TV series. Everything is over top... even the performances. To good things came out of Forever - Jim Carrey's ridiculous performance as The Riddler and Elliot Goldenthal's score.

As for the worst movie ever made; Batman and Robin. The only thing worthwhile is Goldenthal's score which would make for a fantastic Varese Sarabande CD Club release.

So, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Burton efforts. They are good films on there own and a lot fun to watch.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    @Martijn:
    Sorry to disagree, but Burton´s version was too painful to watch as much then as it is now. I remember sitting in the theatre waiting for the glorious cinematic birth of the Dark Knight; instead I was shaking my head in disbelief what I was seeing. Burton´s Batman isn´t a version of Batman at all. It is Burton´s wet dream of a dark fairy tale, which he revisits again and again in ALL his dark movies.

@Erik:
    I give you that, the cinematography is spectacular, and the atmosphere itself is alright. But Burton has no idea how to direct his cast and make them act with each other. Nicholson was just let loose, and he went amok in the role, totally stole the movie from the guy it was about (the movie was called Batman after all, not Joker. I HATE HATE HATE (sorry, but I do - I´ll never forgive him the two hours of my life I lost to Beetlejuice) the way Burton has to make his characters into overloaded crazy crap creatures in almost every movie he makes. That´s why I was so blown away by Big Fish, which is probably the first time he actually admitted being crazy and put that into a story of its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I remember sitting in the theatre waiting for the glorious cinematic birth of the Dark Knight;

Which Dark Knight?
    The tommygun-toting forties variant?
    The aliens-combatting fifties one?
    The überpathfinder of the sixties?
    The detective of the seventies?
    Or the grim'n'gritty doom from the dark from the eighties?

That you prefer your Batman diferrently by no means invalidates Burton's exquisite vision, Ralph. smile
    While not perfect, there is far too much in these films to enjoy and appreciate to dismiss them out of hand.