• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. With ads not too intrusive, but also not ones with long provider names in them.

Random example:

I have one site called:

TVScores.150m.com

I don't want it to be something like:

TVScores.yahoogeocities12345.com

Short, and not writing a mini novel.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011
    Isn't Wordpress free?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. While I've never claimed, in fact I've done the oppisite of such, any of my sites are pretty to look at, I have never liked the look of Wordpress. I don't want a blog style, I want full control anyway.

I type code by hand, no programs.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011
    Google?
    https://sites.google.com/?pli=1

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Isn't Wordpress free?

-Erik-

Nope. I have to pay to put up audio clips. I believe it was $20.00 per year
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    Tom, I was talking about the initial set-up. Doesn't Wordpress host your site for free?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011
    I think the basic setup is free, and it's highly customisable! (I really like the potential of all the free plug-ins), but I do indeed believe that for full control (i.e. Hosting and FTP access) a fee is required.

I guess free webhosting went the way of the dodo when Yahoo folded its geocities service.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There are still plenty of free web sites that offer plenty of space for what Justin wants to do. But, yeah, if you want to have some creative freedom then you are going to have to pay. I'm really impressed with Wordpress since I moved over from my iWeb site a few months ago. Real easy to use.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tom, I was talking about the initial set-up. Doesn't Wordpress host your site for free?

-Erik-

As long as one of their basic themes is chosen and you use a minimal amount of artwork, yes. You're not allowed to put up any mpeg's. I've had mine now for 5+ years. The cost is putting up the audio clips.
    Thomas smile
  3. What I mean by full control -- which I should have specified -- was ability to build the coding as I see fit; no forced structure, templates.

And also no software/programs to download to use an editor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dood... if you want that kind of control you going to have to pay for it!

-Erik-
  4. No, I don't pay for it now. It's standard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, then stick with what you already have. Or do some research. My free-web hosting days are over.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

As long as one of their basic themes is chosen and you use a minimal amount of artwork, yes. You're not allowed to put up any mpeg's. I've had mine now for 5+ years. The cost is putting up the audio clips.
    Thomas smile

At least for now I'll stick with what I have until Bregt and I someday put something together again. In the back of my mind I need to remember that I'm doing this for free and it costs me money. The same is true of my Aztec site for the baseball pictures for the parents and players.
    Tom