• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "Coryorhinus", Batman Begins - Zimmer/Howard

Yeah, this is the only track from this score that I'm probably going to play that often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    "Coryorhinus", Batman Begins - Zimmer/Howard

Yeah, this is the only track from this score that I'm probably going to play that often.

I love "barbastella" with bruce Wayne's theme played with piano. I think it's really soft and touching. I like "talarida" with batman's theme played as a lament over the bat flaps. And Of course Molossus is a guilty pleasure.

But this is my biggest scores dissapointment of all time (Pearl Harbor and Dead Man's chest are the second and the third biggest dissapointments too).

I was playing: Fast Five. (Tyler)

I think it's a much more balanced album than Battle LA. But again it's too long.

I'm addicted to the 4 notes action motife. I think it's really energic. the 2 big action cues are great to going to run .

NP: First Knight (Goldsmith)
    La La records realease.

I don't know why they have to realease a score wich everyone already had the complete unofficial release.
    Anyway....It's my favourite Goldsmith aventure/epic score!!!

Lancelot's Fanfarre just RULlllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

I will play next : Thor (Doyle)

Another long realease.

I always had problems finishin Doyle's epic scores because they are too loud. now we have this lyrical sensibilities with a much average orchestral pallette. It's cool. :P

"thor kills the destroyer" it's an amazing actuin cue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011
    NP : FIRST MEN IN THE MOON - Laurie Johnson

A fine score, re-recorded by Johnson himself, the Herrmann influences are very evident to say the least.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (John Williams)

I used to find this boring. With my new change of preference, this is really good stuff. OK, so some of the suspense writing isn't the most exciting, but all those solo brass counter melodies in Americana mode, with those ethereal strings underneath. Nice.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Spider-Man 3 (Christopher Young)

So much good material cut from the film and replaced with either Elfman tracks or re-recordings of Elfman's themes. So great to hear "Saving MJ/Armed Forces" without dialogue or audio from the film, and to hear that excised Young theme for Peter and MJ.

Why Sony hasn't released it is beyond me. I hear that Sony doesn't want to pay Elfman for using his themes in the film, but that's a B.S. excuse. Hasn't stopped films like Predators, The Simpsons Movie, the HP series and Superman Returns from getting score CD releases...

I pray LaLaLand Records or some other exclusive CD company can pry the CD rights from Sony.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I used to find this boring. With my new change of preference, this is really good stuff. OK, so some of the suspense writing isn't the most exciting, but all those solo brass counter melodies in Americana mode, with those ethereal strings underneath. Nice.

Oddly enough I wasn't taken with this score for a long time too ( for different reasons ), now I absolutely love it, quite a restrained score from Williams.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Soul Surfer - Marco Beltrami

An occasionally unusual, but very enjoyable album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mary, Queen of Scots - John Barry

Stunningly beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011 edited
    NP: DURANGO (Mark McKenzie)

Lushness. No interest in the maudlin Hallmark picture-postcard film, but the score is every film music fan's favourite.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Mary, Queen of Scots - John Barry

Stunningly beautiful.

One of my favourites, includes superb use of the 'dreaded by many' bagpipes.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    La La records realease.

I don't know why they have to realease a score wich everyone already had the complete unofficial release.

I'm trying to understand why this statement annoys me so much! You don't know much (or care much) about supporting the film music industry.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011
    Breakout - Jerry Goldsmith

Underrated, action-packed, Mexican-flavoured.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    High Road to China

Mostly indistinguishable with other dramatic Barry scores around that era, but still good.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. NP: Tree of Life (Desplat)

The first half of this album really is something. But perhaps it peaks too early? The second half has some beautiful things, 'fatherhood', 'motherhood', and 'city of glass'. But some of the longer setpieces like 'light and darkness' and 'temptation' don't really excite, even though desplat remains texturally interesting in just about anything he does. When you compare to some of the connective underscore in Zimmer's or Horner's previous scores for Malick, this probably leans more on atmosphere than melody in these cues. It would have been nice to have another longer form setpiece along the lines of 'Circles' - perhaps even a bit more melodically-driven - coming late in the album. (Then again, knowing Malick, we're probably missing a classical piece or two that will shake up the listening experience quite a bit.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Sounds like something Thomas Newman would have scored out of the park...
  5. Why not see it as a push for a Trump presidential while you're at it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011 edited
    NP: Sherlock Holmes - Hans Zimmer

This one will probably take me to bedtime: I'm shuffling through tracks and I've arrived at "Psychological Recovery...6 Months" which runs in at over 18 minutes.

[Edit] One thing I don't like about this track (and maybe the score in general) is the similarity to the theme for Cheyenne in Morricone's Once Upon A Time In The West. A great Morricone score but I do not like that theme (perhaps more so the instrumentation used rather than the theme itself.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Angels in the Outfield - Randy Edelman

Doing his usual thing, one of the themes is a precursor to Gettysburg, but it's a reasonably enjoyable score high on fluffy and fun.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    La La records realease.

I'm trying to understand why this statement annoys me so much! You don't know much (or care much) about supporting the film music industry.

Alan, you're right to feel that way. Jordi's comment was pretty fucking ignorant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. NP: Dumbledore's Farewell - Half-Blood Prince (Nicholas hooper)

Besides Farewell to Dobby and A Window To The Past, this is the saddest HP cue. The cello in this one is heartbreaking.

Also, it has been used as a temp track in DH part 2's test screening in Chicago, during one major death scene. Nice to know that Hooper is finally getting some recognition.
  7. NP: Silk (Sakamoto)

The 'love theme' is great. I love the sentimentality in his music. Some parts are too derivative of Arvo Part for me, but it's still good stuff.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    La La records realease.

Alan, you're right to feel that way. Jordi's comment was pretty fucking ignorant!

-Erik-

Probably didn't pay for it either... (sorry jordi, correct me if i'm wrong)
  9. KevinSmith wrote
    The Land Before Time - James Horner

Gorgeous.

IMO the Horner's best score for animation.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Thor wrote
    NP: HENRY V (Patrick Doyle)

Hmm....my interest in this has really waned. It's a tiresome listen, with lots of bombast and intense "chord stop" effects, my least favourite aspect of Doyle's sound. On the sales list it goes!

shocked crazy shocked crazy shocked crazy shocked crazy

IT IS DOYLE AT HIS FINEST !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Oddly enough I wasn't taken with this score for a long time too ( for different reasons ), now I absolutely love it, quite a restrained score from Williams.

Same here, part of me wanted a patriotic score at the time of release, in the end we got a so subtle work that has grown on me immensely. It was the right decision for Spielberg and Williams to go this way.
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    La La records realease.

I didn't own the complete unofficial release. I'm beyond happy with this new Lalaland album. So yeah Jordi's way off the mark. rolleyes
  13. FAREWELL TO THE KING - BASIL POLEDOURIS

Not a classic in my book, but very good all the same. I can see why Tim likes this one so much, it's like Barry himself wrote the splendid main theme. It has a couple of great cues, but overall it's not something I would rate over Poledouris' more rousing stuff, such Conan, Robocop or Starship Troopers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: HENRY V (Patrick Doyle)

Hmm....my interest in this has really waned. It's a tiresome listen, with lots of bombast and intense "chord stop" effects, my least favourite aspect of Doyle's sound. On the sales list it goes!

shocked crazy shocked crazy shocked crazy shocked crazy

IT IS DOYLE AT HIS FINEST !!!!

wink

If it helps, I really like "Non Nobis Domine".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

Fan-made 2CD set that includes the greatest hits on CD 1 and some of the more dramatic, lesser known material on CD 2 (in suites). Awesome set, although I obviously don't like everything.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

Fan-made 2CD set that includes the greatest hits on CD 1 and some of the more dramatic, lesser known material on CD 2 (in suites). Awesome set, although I obviously don't like everything.

If it's made by the person I'm thinking of ( over at FSM ) then it's a fantastic 2CD set, far better than any Mancini compilation available publicly and lovingly packaged together too.