• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Right Stuff / North and South - Bill Conti
    The London Symphony Orchestra

Probably the finest sounding orchestral album I have in my collection. Those brass bursts, cymbal crashes and smooth strings. The orchestra comes alive! And it's so perfectly balanced! Pat yourself on the back, Eric Tomlinson. SCOREGASM!

-Erik-

Is it just me or have I heard the Williams esque string rhythms in 'Almost Ready' in an actual Williams score before?

Yeah... it's based off of Mars from The Planets by Holst and Williams used that rhythm extensively in Star Wars. Just listen to the opening of "Imperial Attack" or "Death Star/The Stormtroopers."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Right Stuff / North and South - Bill Conti
    The London Symphony Orchestra

Probably the finest sounding orchestral album I have in my collection. Those brass bursts, cymbal crashes and smooth strings. The orchestra comes alive! And it's so perfectly balanced! Pat yourself on the back, Eric Tomlinson. SCOREGASM!

-Erik-

Is it just me or have I heard the Williams esque string rhythms in 'Almost Ready' in an actual Williams score before?

Yeah... it's based off of Mars from The Planets by Holst and Williams used that rhythm extensively in Star Wars. Just listen to the opening of "Imperial Attack" or "Death Star/The Stormtroopers."

-Erik-

I specifically meant the one that starts about 8 seconds in, and lasts for a few seconds before the Holst Mars brass pattern.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. L'Ennemi Intime - Alexandre Desplat

This elegiac, often discordant suite for a war film is Desplat at his best. I wish it was more popular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE LAST RUN / WILD ROVERS (Jerry Goldsmith)

The first is one of my alltime favourite JG scores, the second is OK. Just adore that baroque jazz melancholy!

I love The Last Run. Surprised it doesn't get more attention. Wild Rovers is probably my favourite Goldsmith western score, but I know it's a bit of an acquired taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Roger Fiegelson wrote the following on the Intrada board concerning Book II.

Thanks for re-posting. I saw that at the time but then forgot about it. Must give it a go!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Days of Heaven - Morricone

This is one of the most gorgeous film score albums I've ever heard (in common with the other three Malick albums, actually) but the sound quality is truly horrific. Such a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE LAST RUN / WILD ROVERS (Jerry Goldsmith)

The first is one of my alltime favourite JG scores, the second is OK. Just adore that baroque jazz melancholy!

I love The Last Run. Surprised it doesn't get more attention. Wild Rovers is probably my favourite Goldsmith western score, but I know it's a bit of an acquired taste.

Re: WILD ROVERS, I could be without the godawful singing by that girl (Goldsmith's daugher, is it?), but the tune itself is nice. I can also be without the sound effects.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011
    FSM did release the original film tracks (no sound effects and no singing by Goldsmith's daughter) which might be more to your taste, but I KNOW you won't get that album! smile
  2. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    L'Ennemi Intime - Alexandre Desplat

This elegiac, often discordant suite for a war film is Desplat at his best. I wish it was more popular.

'Fantomes' is a personal favourite track of mine. I'd be interested to see whether the film uses its score well.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Southall wrote
    FSM did release the original film tracks (no sound effects and no singing by Goldsmith's daughter) which might be more to your taste, but I KNOW you won't get that album! smile

Such a fine score. And a fine album.

Southall wrote
    Days of Heaven - Morricone

This is one of the most gorgeous film score albums I've ever heard (in common with the other three Malick albums, actually) but the sound quality is truly horrific. Such a shame.

Such a fine score. And a fine album.

Southall wrote
    North and South - Conti

Is any retreat so dramatic as the one we've seen today, in this very thread? biggrin I bought that 4cd set based on your love of it! Admittedly I never had the re-recording. Occasionally I listen to Disc 3, which has all the big climactic music, making for a good hour of listening on a long drive. Thank goodness I didn't go for volume 2, from the sound of things.
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    L'Ennemi Intime - Alexandre Desplat

'Fantomes' is a personal favourite track of mine. I'd be interested to see whether the film uses its score well.

Yeah, I love that track too, mainly because of the brass. I've never heard jazz-like instrumentation sound so apocalyptic.
  5. It's the piano vs that dark orchestral presence as a counterpoint that really gets me. Something so light vs something so heavy.
  6. NP: L.A. Noire - Andrew Hale

Track 4 so far, I'm really loving this. About time Rockstar Games used a fully orchestral score for their games.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Kung Fu Panda 2 - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

Played it last night. I was kinda sleepy so skipped a few parts, but from what I heard, the action material here seems stronger and better orchestrated than the first score. Gotta love the little variations of the themes sprinkled throughout. Zen Ball Master is a really cool track. I agree that the album flow isn't as developed as the first one, though. And yeah, thank God for Alan Meyerson replacing Nick Wollage as the engineer; the improvement in sound quality is noticeable. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    North and South - Conti

Is any retreat so dramatic as the one we've seen today, in this very thread? biggrin I bought that 4cd set based on your love of it!

Oops! I do think it's excellent music-- I just don't listen to it.
  7. What else is an album for!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    It doesn't tell a story as good albums should. It's just a lot of loud (but enjoyable) action music.

I imagine it plays quite well amongst cues from the first film.

By the way...Did you like the action tracks form the first panda score? "the bridge" for example? i think they are powerful, but it lacks something..somthing that they found in this sequel.

They were ok. Powell has written better (Bolt) and I'm just glad Zimmer doesn't sound like Zimmer. DenonStar you mentioned the nix, I prefer the first!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    It doesn't tell a story as good albums should. It's just a lot of loud (but enjoyable) action music.

I imagine it plays quite well amongst cues from the first film.

By the way...Did you like the action tracks form the first panda score? "the bridge" for example? i think they are powerful, but it lacks something..somthing that they found in this sequel.

They were ok. Powell has written better (Bolt) and I'm just glad Zimmer doesn't sound like Zimmer. DenonStar you mentioned the mix, I prefer the first!

Nautilus wrote
    Anyone notice How to train your Dragon motive in the final track?

Yes, but that nicked it from Horton Hears A Who!
    franz_conrad wrote
    What else is an album for!

Drink coaster.
    The Film Music of John Addison - Roman Gumba & BBC Concert Orchestra

A pretty good summary of the best material Addison ever wrote.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Apocalypto - James Horner

I think it is underrated. To me it can be quite enjoyable when I am in the mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Film Music of John Addison - Roman Gumba & BBC Concert Orchestra

A pretty good summary of the best material Addison ever wrote.

Superb album... as are a lot of other Chandos film music recordings!

NP: Birth - Alexandre Desplat

Superb! One of my favorite Desplat scores (I don't have too many Desplat favorites) but this one is so fresh and featured sounds, ideas and orchestrations that I had never heard before in a symphonic film score. Too bad it didn't work particularly well in the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Tonight I was playing: Tree of life (DeZzzplat)

I played the first 3 cues and I felt into sleep. But I think it's an average Desplat score. I mean, i don't know why some people who likes Desplat doesn't like this one. And in fact, I think Malick finally has found a composer with this...melancolic and poetic touch.

NP: Kung Fu panda 2 ( my 2 favourites composers)

It is growing on me. The action stuff is superb. full of adventure sense.

"Zen master ball" is really, really epic. One of those tracks that I can't stop to listen. I finish my listen and I play it again.

About the non action stuff, I enjoy "save kung fu " wich contains a great version of one of my favourite cues featureds in "sacreed pool of tears". " Po finds the truth" is disjointed but contains some highly dramatic and driving Zimmer composition. I like it as well.

I have to listen more the "bad guy" motive to enjoy the rest, I think....
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    The Tree of Life - Alexandre Desplat

Some cues I like some I don't like at all. The album starts very good but after Awakening it kinda loses my interest. From the second half of the album only Motherhood and Skies really stand out. This music is certainly not for everyone.

1. Childhood - * * * * *
    2. Circles - * * * *
    3. Clouds - * * * *
    4. River - * * * * *
    5. Awakening - * * * * *
    6. Emergence of Life - * *
    7. Light & Darkness - * * *
    8. Good & Evil - *
    9. Motherhood - * * * *
    10. City of Glass - * * *
    11. Fatherhood - * * *
    12. Temptation - * Is this even music? Why they put it on cd? One of the worst cues I've ever heard!
    13. Skies - * * * *
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    What else is an album for!

Oh, you know what I meant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: Not THE TREE OF LIFE. Not KUNG FU PANDA 6. I feel like the odd one out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You shouldn't because NO ONE is listening to Kung Fu Panda 6.... at least not yet. Wait about 8 years.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Tree of life (DeZzzplat) [/b]

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  8. I didn't listened yet The Tree of Life, but the five minutes cue of the Soundtrack Geek's review is lovely. It seems like it's not a score for everyone, and I think it should be juzged within the film first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Children of Dune (Tyler)

Kick-ass!

Peter smile