• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Obviously I wasn't thinking of the 80s-synth-Goldsmith. I was thinking more of the Goldsmith of Mr Baseball.

Yikes! shocked

NP : A WHALE FOR THE KILLING - Basil Poledouris

A much missed talent and, I feel, seriously underrated, at least by film makers. This score is lovely, only approximately 25 minutes long, I just pass WIND ( pun intended wink ) and go straight to this score.

Well, that score, which pre-dates CONAN has some very CONAN sounding bits so after that there's only one score I can play...

NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

love

Just passed the track Conan Leaves Valeria / The Search ( titled The Leaving / The Search on the original recording ), it's a track that always brings a tear to my eye, having bought the original LP less than a week before my Dad died it always reminds me of him and, by association, my Mum too, it's such a beautiful track and if I may I'd like to dedicate this play to those of you here who have and are going through such a terrible time right now.

-Tim

I have the Basil bug today...

NP : LES MISERABLES - Basil Poledouris

Just brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011 edited
    I dreamed a dream in time gone by...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011
    When hell froze o'er and pigs doth fly...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Tron:Legacy - Daft Punk

You know, with all the extra bonus tracks and such, the full 80+ minute listen isn't as satisfying as the one on the regular album.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I dreamed a dream in time gone by...

I know nothing of such lyrics....

ooops! shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    KevinSmith wrote
    Tron:Legacy - Daft Punk

You know, with all the extra bonus tracks and such, the full 80+ minute listen isn't as satisfying as the one on the regular album.

I listen to the regular album and then put all of the bonus tracks at the end. That way I still get the listening experience of the album, but also get the bonus tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Avalon (Randy Newman)

There isn't a second in this score I don't enjoy. In the hobby of film music that's a rarity. Especially the theme heard in "The fire" always gets to me. It's so simplistic, and yet so powerful.

Rating: ****½

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Avalon (Randy Newman)

There isn't a second in this score I don't enjoy. In the hobby of film music that's a rarity. Especially the theme heard in "The fire" always gets to me. It's so simplistic, and yet so powerful.

Rating: ****½

Peter smile

One of my favourites. I'd give it the extra half star. Such a shame he has so rarely got to deliver such music since. (A truly beautiful film, too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Pelican Brief - Horner

I hope it becomes a bit more interesting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GODFATHER - Nino Rota

Classic.
  2. Finding Neverland - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

Sweet, poignant with the extra solo piano cues a real treat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

I think it's one of his finest suspence scores with superb main theme and one of his best finale/end credit cues.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote

This is one score where I love every single friggin' track. The more the merrier!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I think it's one of his finest suspence scores with superb main theme and one of his best finale/end credit cues.

-Erik-

It certainly did become much more interesting! Loved the main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

This is one score where I love every single friggin' track. The more the merrier!

-Erik-

me too.

And I even put this score in my all time favourite scores. It is what Don Davis matrix is for the rest of you, guys. Of course I don't compare the complexity of both scores since Matrix is highly inventive and complex, but if i have to be "transported" into a computer, I play Tron Legacy.

PS: Ironically is what Zimmer tried to do with his failed Inception score.

NP: X-men First Class.
    I watched the movie, and I really enjoyed both things. So now it really grows on me. it is still generic and bland, but it has his moments, like "frankenstein monster" with magneto's theme or the always fun "x trainning" montage.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ADVENTURES OF MARCO POLO - Hugo Friedhofer

Great stuff! The CD also includes long suites from The Lodger, The Rains of Ranchipur & Seven Cities of Gold played by the Moscow Symphony conducted by William Stromberg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    but if i have to be "transported" into a computer, I play Tron Legacy.

Does this happen to you a lot?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FILM MUSIC OF - Malcolm Arnold

great stuff, includes Bridge On The River Kwai, Inn of The Sixth Happiness etc, I believe this may well have been the first of CHANDOS 'The Film Music of....' series.
  3. Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

Although I know Pawel will disagree, there are good highlights (including the 10 minute finale), and the main theme is lovely on the exotic flute, but as a whole, this score is a bit too samey (even with the short album). Still good though.
  4. NP: Agora (Marianelli)

Revisiting in light of the (excellent) film. An intelligent (if a bit melodramatic) film with a finely written score. Finding those two things in the same place is almost unheard-of these days. 'The Skies Do Not Fall' turned out to be sufficiently devastating in the film, as a I expected.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011 edited
    I haven't seen the film but I find the track "If I Could Just Unravel This" to be haunting, darkly magical...one of my favorite Marianelli cues.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

Although I know Pawel will disagree, there are good highlights (including the 10 minute finale), and the main theme is lovely on the exotic flute, but as a whole, this score is a bit too samey (even with the short album). Still good though.

I've not seen the film but this is an album I enjoy.
  5. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

It certainly did become much more interesting! Loved the main theme.

Some of the best chase music I've ever heard!
  6. Scribe wrote
    I haven't seen the film but I find the track "If I Could Just Unravel This" to be haunting, darkly magical...one of my favorite Marianelli cues.

The music that accompanies the softer dramatic scenes ('Aristarchus the Visionary', 'Miracle of the Bread', and the track you mention) is one of the score's finer features.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Haven't listened to The Pelican Brief in way too long - the thrilling discordant piano runs are the only thing I remember!

Just finished Murray Gold's Doctor Who S3 which is seriously brilliant, better than the first CD.

Now about to give the Film Music of Brian Easdale a first spin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

I've not seen the film but this is an album I enjoy.

It's my alltime favourite Zimmer album, period! Pure bliss from start to finish.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (Jerry Goldsmith)

The classic thematic material is top-notch, and love the more stately, celebratory theme. The action music is so-so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (Jerry Goldsmith)

The classic thematic material is top-notch, and love the more stately, celebratory theme. The action music is so-so.

The only cue missing from making this one a perfect album is "Flight of the Phoenix." Too bad they left that off so we'll have to wait from an expanded treatment of the score to get that one commercially.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Water Horse: The Legend of the Deep - James Newton Howard

I'd say 2007 was the last time James Newton Howard wrote a series of traditional, thrilling and yet lyrically beautiful cues that we were accustom to getting from him in past projects. Starting with "There's No Monster" ending with "End of the Story" not even The Last Airbender came close to the epic sound of this underrated score.

-Erik-