• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    It's a set that is much dependent om action and suspense music. There is no thematic progression to speak of, and the electronics are reminiscemt of Love And Treason and Switchback, where they were used way better!
    The final -mostly nonPoledouris- is actually the best, but even so, it's just not all that enjoyable, to be honest. The phrase 'interesting' pretty much covers it.

If you're in a bind, I'd give this one a miss for now.

I will. Thanks pal beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cocoon: The Return - James Horner

Oh James Horner, my wick is forever available for your light. The others may mock, but I shall forever be yours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Shipping News - Christopher Young

This has become one of my favourite film music albums. Listening to it makes me want to throw off all my clothes and get on the first plane to Newfoundland.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote

This has become one of my favourite film music albums. Listening to it makes me want to throw off all my clothes and get on the first plane to Newfoundland.

Trust me, there's nothing there wink

Black Beauty - Danny Elfman

A kiddie version of Sommersby, still good though.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. Southall wrote

This score makes me cry. Simple as that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011
    Southall wrote

One of his best, a gorgeous score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Southall wrote

Chris was kind enough to send me a copy of the orchestral score for the main titles as he knew how much I loved the theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

Chris was kind enough to send me a copy of the orchestral score for the main titles as he knew how much I loved the theme.

He's a top guy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What a lovely gesture. cool
  3. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

He's a top guy.

He certainly is. He did the same with the main and end titles for Jennifer 8. Another favourite of mine and when I mentioned to him in Madrid that I had chosen some cues from this score to be played at my funeral he hugged me in the street! He seemed genuinely moved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Playing By Heart - John Barry

Gorgeous album to unwind to with a glass of wine after a stressful night at work. Beautiful stuff.

cool

The Chet Baker tracks also make for an entirely seemless listening experience.
  4. NP: Romeo and Juliet - Nino Rota

Last night a film student came to me to ask whether I had any 'good drones' for them to put into their film. For some reason that comes to mind when listening to a score that makes most modern film scoring sound like the weakest of weak jokes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Troy - James Horner

There was some talk of Gabriel Yared's score of this film earlier. Not having heard that, I'm currently revisiting Horner's work and I think I overlooked it too soon the first time I heard it. It's pretty damn good so far; anyone who loves bold brass fanfare can't go wrong with the title track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Transformers: Dark Of The Moon - Steve Jablonsky

It's better than the second installment and enjoyable, but still quite generic and surprisingly a bit deficient in terms of action cues. Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist seems to have been used as temp track for quite a bit of the final battle cues.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    DemonStar wrote

It's better than the second installment and enjoyable, but still quite generic and surprisingly a bit deficient in terms of action cues. Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist seems to have been used as temp track for quite a bit of the final battle cues.

in the movie, the score is awesome. lots of themes in different arrangements. the emotional stuff is really good. the actionscenes were for the first time really thematic. no annoying sound design. who cares about temp track. 95 % of the viewers don't know zack hemsey. the music was really effective. this score is the best of all 3, but the album is missing a lot fantastic material.
  6. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Troy - James Horner

There was some talk of Gabriel Yared's score of this film earlier. Not having heard that, I'm currently revisiting Horner's work and I think I overlooked it too soon the first time I heard it. It's pretty damn good so far; anyone who loves bold brass fanfare can't go wrong with the title track.

Okay, I just finished it and I liked it overall. Considering he only had a few weeks to put it all together, for it to come off as good as it did is heroic and only further proves Horner's talents.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Romeo and Juliet - Nino Rota

Last night a film student came to me to ask whether I had any 'good drones' for them to put into their film. For some reason that comes to mind when listening to a score that makes most modern film scoring sound like the weakest of weak jokes.

True!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

I don't know about "kiddie version", but it's a superb score. Taps into similar territory as SOMMERSBY, yes, with those melancholic, open intervals. Both of those are among my favourites of his.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Romeo and Juliet - Nino Rota

True!

It's an overused adjective, but it's really one of the most haunting love themes ever written.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Maybe that is why it seems to be one of the most overused themes "out there" in the natural world of everyday life?

Radio DJ Simon Bates overused it to death in a daily soppy radio spot. And, for me, this has largely destroyed its appeal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Maybe that is why it seems to be one of the most overused themes "out there" in the natural world of everyday life?

Radio DJ Simon Bates overused it to death in a daily soppy radio spot. And, for me, this has largely destroyed its appeal.

It was some 'real life' story spot, often with a tragic ending but with a ray of hope at the end.

HATED it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

I don't know about "kiddie version", but it's a superb score. Taps into similar territory as SOMMERSBY, yes, with those melancholic, open intervals. Both of those are among my favourites of his.

Both are superb scores though I'm not sure what Kevin meant by "kiddie version", perhaps he kind of meant score to a kiddie film? Or am I making excuses for him? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And, for me, this has largely destroyed its appeal.

Yeah, what I call the "Greensleeves Effect".
    Although luckily I have to say no theme was ever ruined to me.
    I do however deeply regret that such wonderful music becomes ingrained in the public consciousness for all the wrong reasons (like commercials, radio spots, etc.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Lars wrote
    DemonStar wrote

in the movie, the score is awesome. lots of themes in different arrangements. the emotional stuff is really good. the actionscenes were for the first time really thematic. no annoying sound design. who cares about temp track. 95 % of the viewers don't know zack hemsey. the music was really effective. this score is the best of all 3, but the album is missing a lot fantastic material.

Indeed, the score works wonderfully in the film. Besides, it shines through all the movie; I was a bit concerned it would be unlistenable due to the sound FX, but the mix is perfectly done.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Marselus wrote
    Indeed, the score works wonderfully in the film. Besides, it shines through all the movie; I was a bit concerned it would be unlistenable due to the sound FX, but the mix is perfectly done.

yes, the mix was perfect. the highway chase was awesome or the scene with the autobots leaving. the track "there is no plan" fits perfect to that scene. great score for THIS kind of movie. i was really surprised how good it was. i think this score is the pirates 3 of the transformers movies. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Lars wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I enjoy the album, but I confess i think the action stuff doesn't work in the action scenes. In fact, they make the action slower.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011 edited
    Lars wrotein the movie, the score is awesome. lots of themes in different arrangements. the emotional stuff is really good. the actionscenes were for the first time really thematic. no annoying sound design. who cares about temp track. 95 % of the viewers don't know zack hemsey. the music was really effective. this score is the best of all 3, but the album is missing a lot fantastic material.

I guess that's the norm with these scores, leaving out cool stuff from the OST. Temp tracking has been evident since the first score anyway. *cough* Batman Begins *cough* tongue Fun to observe the instances though. I have no desire to watch the film, but like the score on album. Would be nice to have an expanded version.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And, for me, this has largely destroyed its appeal.

Yeah, what I call the "Greensleeves Effect".
    Although luckily I have to say no theme was ever ruined to me.
    I do however deeply regret that such wonderful music becomes ingrained in the public consciousness for all the wrong reasons (like commercials, radio spots, etc.)

"Greensleeves Effect"

I like that term, very apt.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

A truly awesome score and one of the best ever written, there are parts that are very Herrmannesque and I suspect it is RVW who is the influence on Herrmann, Herrmann was a huge admirer of RVW as well as knowing him personally.
  8. Autumn in New York - Gabriel Yared

Bittersweet romantic drama, one of Yared's best scores.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.