• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Yeah, it was repeated on Sky in the late eighties, so I caught some episodes.
    Pretty dated in every aspect (I especially disliked the Zorro knock-off obese/dumb sergeant), but I think it may have been ground breaking at the time in the sense that it was the first TV show that poked fun at WW II, wasn't it?

I'm not sure about being the first show to poke fun at WWII but I loved it. I can't remember how old I was when I saw it but I remember the Zorro character also. In fact I also remember liking the original Zorro and that character!

I think it is one of those shows that I need to leave well alone: I have some fond memories of it and I wouldn't want it tainted by seeing it again now.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Michael Collins - Elliot Goldenthal

I enjoy this score more than most Goldenthal scores for the moments of sheer harmonic beauty (especially the emotional Funeral & Coda).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Surprised! There is no greater fan of James Horner than I and I have come to like the majority of his super-long albums but there are parts of this I just find dull. (You like the first nine minutes of "Bavmorda's Spell Is Cast", for instance?)

I hope you don't think I'm playing devil's advocate when I say, yes... every moment of "Bavmorda's Spell Is Cast" is excellent! I love the atonal scoring during that first half of the track which then transforms into more typical fantasy adventure stylings for the latter half! Only Horner can really pull off a track of that length and keep your undivided attention throughout!

Up to that point in the album we are 43 minutes in and every time I listen to Willow I'm hooked so a mammoth 18 minute track to end all things is more than welcome!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Michael Collins - Elliot Goldenthal

I enjoy this score more than most Goldenthal scores for the moments of sheer harmonic beauty (especially the emotional Funeral & Coda).

Top 3 Goldenthal for sure! Brilliant every step of the way and probably his most accessible album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. christopher wrote
    That "Letting Go" track blew me away in theaters. I'm curious to hear what you think of the rest of it, Erik. You haven't been too impressed with Giacchino's recent scores.

NP: HAUNTED - Debbie Wiseman.

Multiple fine themes. Slightly creepy, but not too horrific. Good score.

I find I have a slight problem with Debbie Wiseman scores, which is that they're often great themes, but end up feeling a bit like the same theme again and again by the end of the score. A Wiseman compilation thus is a treat, but almost no score other than ARSENE LUPIN carries me all the way.

NP: Pierrot le fou (Antoine Duhamel)

Duhamel's stark string-based score for Godard's film is a favourite of Desplat's. It's a bit super-serious to quite be able to enjoy, but is obviously quality music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Top 3 Goldenthal for sure! Brilliant every step of the way and probably his most accessible album!

-Erik-

Here here.
    This was that period of 3 years that gave us COBB, VAMPIRE, HEAT, MICHAEL COLLINS... a great time to be a Goldenthal fan.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

-Erik-

Could you argue that Final Fantasy is that though? Certainly FF is the one of the most mainstream scores Elliot has wrote.
  5. I think there's more friendly melodic stuff in MICHAEL COLLINS. FF is accessible if you're after a huge, ear-blasting scifi epic score. I'm always a little sad the quiet melodic sections are so brief in that score.
  6. The Russia House - Jerry Goldsmith

Lovely balance of jazz and suspense, refreshingly stylistic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, it was repeated on Sky in the late eighties, so I caught some episodes.
    Pretty dated in every aspect (I especially disliked the Zorro knock-off obese/dumb sergeant), but I think it may have been ground breaking at the time in the sense that it was the first TV show that poked fun at WW II, wasn't it?

I'm not sure about being the first show to poke fun at WWII but I loved it. I can't remember how old I was when I saw it but I remember the Zorro character also. In fact I also remember liking the original Zorro and that character!

I think it is one of those shows that I need to leave well alone: I have some fond memories of it and I wouldn't want it tainted by seeing it again now.

same here Alan, I loved this when I was a kid, haven't seen it since and I'll leave it that way.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Russia House - Jerry Goldsmith

A superb score but I can't listen to the whole CD, I tend to skip tracks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But if you come up with a number you are happy with and it goes then everyone is happy.

That's it.
    RIGHT THERE.
    The only statement in any niche market (and, the case could be argued, in many other markets) that actually MAKES SENSE.

Any collector's world such an odd one, with such a hoopla being made about the intrinsic value of items, that many tend to forget it's only what any fool will actually pay that determines the value.
    If there's one weirdo who'll shell out 2000 dollars for a copy, that doesn't make that CD worth 2000 dollars!
    It means there is ONE weirdo willing too pay that!

I'll be happy to take my cue from soundtrackcollector, Amazon and eBay for a rough generic estimate for insurance purposes, but when it comes to trading or selling: " if you come up with a number you are happy with and it goes then everyone is happy".

Wise words, Alan.

Alan & Martijn yeah
  7. Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Russia House - Jerry Goldsmith

A superb score but I can't listen to the whole CD, I tend to skip tracks.

Explain? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's too long. A 25-30 minute album would be perfect.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oh, back to Super 8... I really despise hearing the SWON bad guy motif in the score.

-Erik-

I was hoping for something like the Government Agents theme from E.T., but definitely not a rehash of something that's come before. sad

The four note (monster?) motif (the first thing you hear in the score) reminds me of something too. I thought the Russian theme from Call Of Duty at first, but now I have Air Force One in my mind. Any ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

-Erik-

Agreed. At least one of the most accesible. Then again, there are arrangements of traditionals such as "She Moved Through the Fair" that isn't really very Goldenthal, or the very consonant "An Anthem Deferred". So I guess that accounts for some of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    christopher wrote
    That "Letting Go" track blew me away in theaters. I'm curious to hear what you think of the rest of it, Erik. You haven't been too impressed with Giacchino's recent scores.

NP: HAUNTED - Debbie Wiseman.

Multiple fine themes. Slightly creepy, but not too horrific. Good score.

I find I have a slight problem with Debbie Wiseman scores, which is that they're often great themes, but end up feeling a bit like the same theme again and again by the end of the score. A Wiseman compilation thus is a treat, but almost no score other than ARSENE LUPIN carries me all the way.

NP: Pierrot le fou (Antoine Duhamel)

Duhamel's stark string-based score for Godard's film is a favourite of Desplat's. It's a bit super-serious to quite be able to enjoy, but is obviously quality music.

It's one of the scores I often I use in my film music lectures as an example of "alternative" scoring, esp. the car-stealing scene, where Godard mutes Duhamel's fun scherzo with infrequent intervals so that you -- in typical fashion -- become aware of the filmic tool itself (and the satirical comment on American popular culture, of course).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas - Harry Gregson Williams

Very fun to listen to because there is a lot of energy simply from the orchestra performing the swashbuckling themes and underscore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUPER 8 (Michael Giacchino)

Streaming the whole album for sampling, and my reaction is: Meh. Once again, a Giacchino disappoints. I've yet to find that single MG score to bowl me over. I'm pretty excited about the film, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote

It's one of the scores I often I use in my film music lectures as an example of "alternative" scoring, esp. the car-stealing scene, where Godard mutes Duhamel's fun scherzo with infrequent intervals so that you -- in typical fashion -- become aware of the filmic tool itself (and the satirical comment on American popular culture, of course).

Was it Royal S Brown's chapter that highlighted this one for you? He discusses that scene quite a bit from memory. (My own favourite scene for music is the piece of choreography around the man who visits karina's house, only to be attacked.)

Just as a note, I don't think there's a note in Pierrot that could could be truly described as 'fun'. Even with the playfulness of its usage, it's still a very heavy presence in the film for me. Even cut up and (deliberately) toyed with, it's a cloud.

NP: Werckmeister Harmonies (Vigh Mihaly)

A single cue called 'Oreg', that runs for 10 minutes. A spellbinding piece of folkish minimalism.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Lars wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    WP: Transformers: Dark Of The Moon - Steve Jablonsky

It's better than the second installment and enjoyable, but still quite generic and surprisingly a bit deficient in terms of action cues. Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist seems to have been used as temp track for quite a bit of the final battle cues.

in the movie, the score is awesome. lots of themes in different arrangements. the emotional stuff is really good. the actionscenes were for the first time really thematic. no annoying sound design. who cares about temp track. 95 % of the viewers don't know zack hemsey. the music was really effective. this score is the best of all 3, but the album is missing a lot fantastic material.

Indeed, the score works wonderfully in the film. Besides, it shines through all the movie; I was a bit concerned it would be unlistenable due to the sound FX, but the mix is perfectly done.

I enjoy the album, but I confess i think the action stuff doesn't work in the action scenes. In fact, they make the action slower.

The slow motion made the action slower too. It was intentional.

I enjoy the score quite a bit. I think Jablonsky did a good job bringing back old themes in new ways and keeping the score thematic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Was it Royal S Brown's chapter that highlighted this one for you? He discusses that scene quite a bit from memory. (My own favourite scene for music is the piece of choreography around the man who visits karina's house, only to be attacked.)

It was indeed. I had seen the film prior to reading the book, but his analysis cemented my interest for that particular New Wave film (at least from a musical point-of-view). The temporal shifts in Karina's apartment is indeed something to behold. Reminded me a bit of the scene in Antonioni's THE PASSENGER, where Nicholson takes on his false identity.

NP: Werckmeister Harmonies (Vigh Mihaly)

A single cue called 'Oreg', that runs for 10 minutes. A spellbinding piece of folkish minimalism.

Can't remember much of the music (it was fairly music-free, if memory serves), but there's a hypnotically slow film!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Listening to Super 8 again... there is a solid 40-45 minute album in here. I'm doing my best to extract the cues I like and then will try my shorter version later. There is some dynamite music in here... "The Evacuation Of Lillian" (minus the Militery/SWON theme crazy ) is great. So is "Lambs on the Lam." But these cues almost get lost in a sea of very short cues that really hamper the listening experience.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Transformers 3...there are new themes here, I was wrong. Calling it the Pirates 3 of the Transformers series is not unfair like I thought, sorry I said that. I like the score better on album than in the film, mostly cause I can't take the emotional emptiness of this series!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    I've yet to find that single MG score to bowl me over.

Medal of Honor (all of them)?
    Secret Weapons Over Normandy?
    Star Trek?

NO?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  10. The only score by Giacchino that got me (though not in any huge way) was, and still a little more each time, "The Incredibles" -- and excellent film, too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Listening to Super 8 again... there is a solid 40-45 minute album in here.

When I'm more familiar with it this is exactly what I'll be building in iTunes.
  11. Once Upon a Time in Mexico - Robert Rodriguez

As amount of enjoyment per minute of score on album (15 minutes of score), this would rank in the top 20 highest of 2003. Genuine Latino flavour mixed with some surprisingly well done action sequences.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote

Star Trek?

NO?

Not STAR TREK, no. But I've yet to check out the computer game scores.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote

Star Trek?

NO?

Not STAR TREK, no. But I've yet to check out the computer game scores.

Ratatouille?