• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Gangs of New York - Elmer Bernstein

I waited years to hear this, bought it for $60 (wasn't bothered about the other two scores in the box), listened to it once and then forgot all about it. Anyway, here's the second listen, however many years later it is, and I'm very impressed. Maybe wasn't right for the film, but it makes a terrific CD.

It grows on you, as does TSL. While "The Journey of Natty Gann", on the other hand, never grew on me, inspite of having some good pieces. In fact, I think it's a rare instance of where a replacement score was not only better, but vastly better than the rejected score. Having seen the movie (which is good, by the way), I can safely say: Bernstein missed the marked. By a long shot. I get the feeling he didn't "get" the movie; didn't know what to do score wise.
    He proved very well even a man from his era of scoring could cross through the decades, even into the 2000's, and still score movies, but I think in this instance, it showed he wasn't able to translate his skills into all kinds of new movies coming about (I wonder if maybe he also missed the makr on the 2000's "The Rat Race" which was rejected, too).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE EMI YEARS VOLUME 1 : 1957 - 1960 - John Barry

This is mostly his JB7 Rock & Roll years stuff and just about has a tenuous link to be on the NP thread due to the inclusion of two tracks from BEAT GIRL, one from NEVER LET GO and the track Hit & Miss which was the long running theme for BBC pop quiz show JUKE BOX JURY, this compilation also includes Barry singing, and though his voice isn't that bad, I can understand why he wished he could personally get hold of every copy and destroy them. wink

I've always had a soft spot for this track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEyPUnG-lJg

...unfortunately I can't find the far punchier one included on the album I'm playing.

NP : THE EMI YEARS VOLUME 2 : 1960 - John Barry

Not as strong as the first volume but still some absolute gems, I'm especially fond of a track called Satin Smooth which is a taste of what was to come in James Bond.

p.s. It's a shame that his utterly brilliant 'MOOD ONE' isn't included on any of these sets, in fact, I'm not even sure it's included on any John Barry compilation disc?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. The "fist volume"? Ouch!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The "fist volume"? Ouch!

I need a new keyboard wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE EMI YEARS VOLUME 1 : 1957 - 1960 - John Barry

This is mostly his JB7 Rock & Roll years stuff and just about has a tenuous link to be on the NP thread due to the inclusion of two tracks from BEAT GIRL, one from NEVER LET GO and the track Hit & Miss which was the long running theme for BBC pop quiz show JUKE BOX JURY, this compilation also includes Barry singing, and though his voice isn't that bad, I can understand why he wished he could personally get hold of every copy and destroy them. wink

I've always had a soft spot for this track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEyPUnG-lJg

...unfortunately I can't find the far punchier one included on the album I'm playing.

NP : THE EMI YEARS VOLUME 2 : 1960 - John Barry

Not as strong as the first volume but still some absolute gems, I'm especially fond of a track called Satin Smooth which is a taste of what was to come in James Bond.

p.s. It's a shame that his utterly brilliant 'MOOD ONE' isn't included on any of these sets, in fact, I'm not even sure it's included on any John Barry compilation disc?

NP : THE EMI YEARS VOLUME 3 : 1962 - 1964 - John Barry

A few more film related ditties on this 3rd disc including an obscure little number called The James Bond Theme which I reckon could have gone on to be something special with a little more exposure.

Best of all is it contains the creepier version of The Human Jungle and a strangely eerie 'up-beat' version of Seance On A Wet Afternoon, also of great interest is the very Ennio Morricone like Tears which is in that 60's Mondo-Morricone vein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qufawn05pRA

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JANE EYRE (Dario Marianelli)

Still one of the strongest scores this year -- beautiful string & piano writing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I couldn't agree more with you Thor. One of my favourites of this year.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Heavy Metal 2000 - Frederic Talgorn

Big and musular! Not a lot of melody but a tons of big orchestral bursts and heavy dramatic material. I think lovers of Goldenthal's big epic scores (Final Fantasy) will find a lot to like in this score!

-Erik
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011
    Return to Oz - David Shire

Very pleasing large orchestral score for the fantasy genre.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. I've been playing some compilation albums today:

JOHN WILLIAMS' GREATEST HITS 1969-1999

This 2 disc set is a good selection of William's most famous themes, and a couple less-well-known themes as well. It's excellent music, of course. There are some of his themes that have been overplayed for me and even though I recognize their Iconic status, I enjoy them less than I used to, but most of these themes will never get old to me no matter how many times I've played them.

JOHN WILLIAMS CONDUCTS JOHN WILLIAMS: THE STAR WARS TRILOGY

This Sony one disc album is okay. Some of the selections mystify me (the Sandpeople music? You've got one disc and you put the Sandpeople music on it?). The Cantina Band track sounds bad, and has some really odd "sound effects" at the end. The throne room finale track kind of repeats itself twice. It's not the best Star Wars album out there.

YO-YO MA PLAYS ENNIO MORRICONE

What an album! Every track is wonderful. It's been way too long since I've played this. I had four of these tracks on a long 'favorite tracks' playlist, but I have no idea how I only included those four on it. Nearly every track here is outstanding. This is an extremely strong album, and if I only had one CD of Morricone music, this would be it.
  4. christopher wrote
    I've been playing some compilation albums today:

YO-YO MA PLAYS ENNIO MORRICONE

What an album! Every track is wonderful. It's been way too long since I've played this. I had four of these tracks on a long 'favorite tracks' playlist, but I have no idea how I only included those four on it. Nearly every track here is outstanding. This is an extremely strong album, and if I only had one CD of Morricone music, this would be it.

Agreed, a stunning recording in every regard.
  5. Prince of Egypt Hans Zimmer / Stephen Schwartz

Great Score, Great songs, Great album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Got Taylor White's Percepto set of The Adventures of Superman. Growing up with this series there is a sentimental spot in my heart for this one.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011 edited
    NP: The Mission - Ennio Morricone

I am utterly shocked and disappointed with myself that I have yet to listen to my digital version of this score. I first imported the album all those years ago when the first iPod was released by Apple back in 2001 and haven't listened to it once. I'm serious. The ONLY track with a play count is "On Earth As It Is In Heaven" and that's because it's in "My Favorites" playlist. I'm so embarrassed. shame

Top notch film music right here folks... and I don't think I have to explain to any of you at to why this is such a brilliant score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011 edited
    NP: Illusions - Thomas Bergesen

The first track "Aura" just pulls you in and that simple melody is nice. The 2nd track is superbly executed, with the vocal chant and brass melody, even with the Crimson Tide string quote. The whole album is just miles ahead of Invincible. One of the most satisfying purchase of this year for me.
  6. Erik Woods wrote

I am utterly shocked and disappointed with myself that I have yet to listen to my digital version of this score. I first imported the album all those years ago when the first iPod was released by Apple back in 2001 and haven't listened to it once. I'm serious. The ONLY track with a play count is "On Earth As It Is In Heaven" and that's because it's in "My Favorites" playlist. I'm so embarrassed. shame

Top notch film music right here folks... and I don't think I have to explain to any of you at to why this is such a brilliant score!

-Erik-

Very good score, indeed.

NP: CINEMA PARADISO - Ennio Morricone

Not as good as THE MISSION, imho, but has some lovely highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    lp wrote

The first track "Aura" just pulls you in and that simple melody is nice. The 2nd track is superbly executed, with the vocal chant and brass melody, even with the Crimson Tide string quote. The whole album is just miles ahead of Invincible. One of the most satisfying purchase of this year for me.

And the titular track is epic and long too. And is very evocative of Hans' Angels and Demon score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This is probably the only time I ever knew before anyone else besides those directly involved in the film that I knew who was scoring it, talking to David Puttnam personally and he confirmed that they'd signed Morricone only that day.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Erik Woods wrote
    FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big, bold fonts with dozens of exclamation points makes it even more of a fact!

-Erik-

Am I the only one who gets annoyed every time someone posts "FACT!!!!!!!!!!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Panthera wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big, bold fonts with dozens of exclamation points makes it even more of a fact!

-Erik-

No, you are not the only one. This FACT thing is becoming really tiresome and annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.
    I had to.
    shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DAYS OF THUNDER (Hans Zimmer)

Prime Zimmer. Great power anthems, cool grooves etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Thor wrote

i would really like to know, why hans doesn't like this score. the music fits perfect to this movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Lars wrote
    Thor wrote

i would really like to know, why hans doesn't like this score. the music fits perfect to this movie.

He doesn't like to revisit his older scores at all, which is somewhat typical of most composers, but still. It's part of his legacy, and this is surely not one to be embarrased about.

I stil don't understand why he refused to co-operate on the new release of RAIN MAN -- a PIVOTAL score in his career -- forcing us to accept a poor-sounding presentation instead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011 edited
    Panthera wrote

I like this MT meme. But then I'm easily entertained. I also like when people make bad jokes and then write something about getting their coat. And I like when people use the word "pants" as a derogatory term.

It's stupid things like these that make me enjoy MT.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    lp wrote

Looking forward to it. I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical about it being better than Invincible as I found that to be a fantastic album, but definitely great to see a good review like that.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    NP: CINEMA PARADISO - Ennio Morricone

Not as good as THE MISSION, imho, but has some lovely highlights.

I enjoy it just as much as The mission. The three themes are all fantastic gems, and each track of the score is highly listenable; the same can't be said about The mission.

In any case, if you like The mission, try Nostromo. It beats both of these scores.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.
    I had to.
    shame

applause

And to those who oppose, I'll continue to use the word FACT in big bold font wherever and whenever I feel it's warranted.

FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah

[spoiler]FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler]

tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: inspired by this my own Cops playlist
    A wild amalgam of cop show/film tunes from the fifties up to the 2010s.

Some observations:
    * Jim Parker writes some of the TIGHTEST music in the UK (I was already impressed with his work on Ground Force (yes, it's REALLY good!), but his theme to The Midsomer Murders just blew me away(this guy really knows his theremin smile )!)
    * Although we don't seem to be lacking for cop shows this last decade (NCIS, Law & Order, Cold Case, ...), it seems very few really good themes have come out (Law & Order's ok but cheesy ominous synth theme seems very out of place in this day and age). That said, we got some great and inspired song soundtracks (like for instance Tom Waits "Down In The Hole" on The Wire and The Who's "Who Are You?" on Cold Case)
    * Funk works exceedingly well for cop show tunes (Dirty Harry, The Professionals and oh! The Theme To SWAT are SO awesome!)
    * The prize for very best cops show tune EVER is a toss-up between Dragnet and Hawaii 5-O
    * It's pretty frigging hard to find the proper themes to the myriad German 'krimis' that were around in the eighties and nineties. Many song compilations, but not much more.
    * The theme to the short lived (?) Rockliffe's Babies may be one of the most haunting cop tunes ever.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn