• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011
    NP : TAXI DRIVER - Bernard Herrmann

We'd all prefer it if great composers never died but this is a phenomenal score to go out on, incredible score to a great film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

We'd all prefer it if great composers never died but this is a phenomenal score to go out on, incredible score to a great film.

Yeah. Better that than LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, I doubt Jerry Goldsmith was the only composer to go out on a "low".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Bad Girls (Expanded) - Jerry Goldsmith

Geebus, this score went from an album that featured one of my all time favorite Western theme to just an excellent (modern) western score. The missing action cues are a revelation, IMO, with none of derivative-ness that you'd find in later 90s Goldsmith action. Great release LLLR.

I was hoping that this expansion did not add anything to the already-available release.

The expanded version is a must get. I'm not a huge Goldsmith fan, but the original release feels completely lacking in comparison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, I doubt Jerry Goldsmith was the only composer to go out on a "low".

It's not the high point of Goldsmith's career but I really get a kick out that score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

As D used to say "no comment".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Happy 25th Anniversary!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

Geebus, this score went from an album that featured one of my all time favorite Western theme to just an excellent (modern) western score. The missing action cues are a revelation, IMO, with none of derivative-ness that you'd find in later 90s Goldsmith action. Great release LLLR.

I was hoping that this expansion did not add anything to the already-available release.

Speaking as the world's biggest Jerry Goldsmith fan (perhaps), I am very glad to have it. Whether it adds that much to the old album is questionable, though - while it is, I think, a more rounded and satisfying listening experience now, the highlights were certainly already there, and if you weren't tempted to listen often to the older album then I can't imagine you would do to the new one (it makes a good album slightly better, it isn't a step change or anything).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

Speaking as the world's biggest Jerry Goldsmith fan (perhaps), I am very glad to have it. Whether it adds that much to the old album is questionable, though - while it is, I think, a more rounded and satisfying listening experience now, the highlights were certainly already there, and if you weren't tempted to listen often to the older album then I can't imagine you would do to the new one (it makes a good album slightly better, it isn't a step change or anything).

I agree with your review. I haven't listened to the original album in a while. But I remember feeling either slightly disappointed that it ended too early, or that it was lacking (what? I don't know). The expanded edition really fills in whatever that was missing for me. Needless to say, this version is the version for me.
  1. LSH wrote
    Angels In America is my favourite Thomas Newman score. I would literally stab a baby to hear another score like this from him.

I would too. He is terribly missed.
  2. plindboe wrote

Give this suite a try. It has the three main themes, so if you love it you will love the album as well.

Peter smile

Thanks for the link, Peter. Nostromo sounds good. Any Morricone score in the same league as The Mission and Cinema Paradiso is one I want. I bumped it ahead of about 20 other scores on my to-get list.

NP - Prince of Persia

First listen. The first track was good. Nice mid-eastern sound mixed with some of HGW's contemporary stylings. I've already forgotten any melody the track might have had, but it was nice.
  3. Finished PoP. The novelty of the sound wore off as it continued and nothing ever really grabbed my attention. I'll give it another listen or two, but I was pretty bored of it by the end.

Moving on to my first listen of X-Men: First Class - Henry Jackman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part II - Alexandre Desplat

I admit I was kinda underwhelmed on my first visit (sorta "that's it?" feeling), but I've been liking it more and more with repeated plays. Watched the film on Sunday (nice, but could've been much better) and I'm appreciating it a whole lot more now. I still dearly wish that JW had been back for the finale, but in his absence I'm very glad monsieur Desplat was brought onboard - Lily's Theme is one of my favourites from the whole series now and I love how it was incorporated into certain unexpected but apt scenes. Underground, Dragon Flight, Battlefield and Neville The Hero are other highlights, with cool orchestrations. I was pretty skeptical of Courtyard Apocalypse initially, but I think it worked wonderfully in the film. Definitely one of my top favourite scores of this year so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm listening to yet another compilation of Silva this one called British TV themes. Some of these programs are completely foreign to me and frankly they're pretty silly. I might have some questions later on.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I'm listening to yet another compilation of Silva this one called British TV themes. Some of these programs are completely foreign to me and frankly they're pretty silly. I might have some questions later on.
    Tom

Fire away Tom, I'm sure Alan, myself and more than likely, Martijn can answer any queries you may have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    WP: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part II - Alexandre Desplat

I admit I was kinda underwhelmed on my first visit (sorta "that's it?" feeling), but I've been liking it more and more with repeated plays. Watched the film on Sunday (nice, but could've been much better) and I'm appreciating it a whole lot more now. I still dearly wish that JW had been back for the finale, but in his absence I'm very glad monsieur Desplat was brought onboard - Lily's Theme is one of my favourites from the whole series now and I love how it was incorporated into certain unexpected but apt scenes. Underground, Dragon Flight, Battlefield and Neville The Hero are other highlights, with cool orchestrations. I was pretty skeptical of Courtyard Apocalypse initially, but I think it worked wonderfully in the film. Definitely one of my top favourite scores of this year so far.

I'm sad to not agree sad

I think it's a really boring score. but what it's worst: it doesn't devolop any of the ideas Desplat introduced in part I (wich I didn't enjoy either but at least it was more complex). it is a couple of moments put together. of course, there are some good action stuff and other some epic statements ("statues") but that's it.

Did anyone notice the "why so serious" and "vespertillO" temp tracks in the movie? This Batman begins /the Dark Knight over use in the temp tracks is really killing the composers.

NP: Mermaids from Stranger Tides.

An amazing track. One of the highlights in Zimmer's career. I'm happy that Zimmer used this fantastic motif from AWE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN CHILD - John Barry

Just got this, first listen.

Laterz!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE GOLDEN CHILD - John Barry

Just got this, first listen.

Laterz!

LOVED IT! ( yeah yeah I know )

Very Bond'ish, somewhere between A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights with the odd touch of Out of Africa etc, it's John Barry and it does what it says on the label ( metaphorically ), some nice touches of wordless choral and even an electric sitar in some tracks, I casn't wait to hear it again.

Sooner or later I'll get around to giving the Michel Colombier disc a spin, I liked his score on the old LP, getting this set is a WIN WIN situation for me. cool

esily THE BEST RELEASE THIS YEAR. IM(not humble at all)O biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE David Whitaker SONGBOOK

A real mish-mash compilation of Whitaker's work from his Pop beginings like The Last Time under the name THE ANDREW OLDHAM ORCHESTRA, a now infamous piece due to it's sampling by pop band THE VERVE to later fair like his contributions to French group AIR, it also contains 4 tracks from his beautiful score to Run Wild, Run Free, a boy and his horse movie starring Mark Lester and John Mills.

My favourite track is Pavane, the liner notes give no indication of where this comes from but it's a stunningly beautiful piece that I can only think was written as a homage to French composer Gabriel Faure, it really is that good.

David Whitaker's superb talents are seriously lacking in the world of soundtrack CD releases with Doctor Jeckyll and Sister Hyde being nearly released several times, the above mentioned Run Wild, Run Free which was only ever released on LP and a tiny smattering of his work for HAMMER on various compilation CD's, The Sword and The Sorceror and Harry, He is Here are, I think, the only two soundtrack releases of Whitaker's work released.

NP : yeah

Some real contrast in styles but GREAT album. love
  4. I've been listening to superhero scores this morning.

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Henry Jackman.

A giant steaming pile of meh.

THOR - Patrick Doyle

The middle chunk is a little boring, but there are 6 or 7 good tracks at the end. I think I could program out tracks 4-16 and not miss much. The rest would make a reasonably entertaining (though short) album. I think Doyle was a little unfairly maligned for this score though. Sure it sounds RC-ish, but it's better than what that group typically puts out. I have a feeling that if one of the RC minions wrote this we'd all be rather impressed, but since it comes from Doyle we're all disappointed.

BATMAN - Danny Elfman

I just finished my first listen to this score on CD, ever. Of course I've heard it in context, but that has been a while ago now. I listend to the old album, not the recently expanded one. It's got a lot of Elfman's old zany style in it, which I'm not a huge fan of, but it's got a classic theme and the last 30 seconds or so of the track "Finale" is my favorite superhero movie music moment ever! I love that pan up the huge building while the music gets bigger and bigger....What a moment! That still gives me chills. Unlike the other two scores, at least something is constantly happening in this music. Give me zany music I don't particularly enjoy over aimless droning I don't even notice.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've never been a big fan of Elfman's BATMAN but that's not to say I don't like some of the tracks, in particular up The Cathedral, a glorious piece that would be great in a Dracula movie let alone Batman though I guess both are not that far removed wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AMISTAD (John Williams)

Nice score. Although the reverent Americana towards the end work better on album than in the film, where it's a bit over-wrought.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Rachel Portman

Very good indeed.
  5. I've been enjoying the main theme of her score for Never Let Me Go a bit this past week. (Purchased on itunes.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011
    christopher wrote
    Thanks for the link, Peter. Nostromo sounds good. Any Morricone score in the same league as The Mission and Cinema Paradiso is one I want. I bumped it ahead of about 20 other scores on my to-get list.

Glad that you like it, Christopher. smile

Hope you manage to find it, and that you'll some day write what you think in the NP thread.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Nice score. Although the reverent Americana towards the end work better on album than in the film, where it's a bit over-wrought.

Cripes! Isn't it ever!!! rolleyes A rare missfire from Williams in that regard.
  6. plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote

Glad that you like it, Christopher. smile

Hope you manage to find it, and that you'll some day write what you think in the NP thread.

Peter smile

NOSTROMO still stands as one of my very favourite scores.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. I'm just finishing up Jeff Danna's very impressive score to THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. I'm on the wonderful last track now, "Follow Me." What a knockout piece! Gorgeous stuff.
  8. Danna's score to The Gospel of John is a very powerful score. I love it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Cripes! Isn't it ever!!! rolleyes A rare missfire from Williams in that regard.

True. But it's an interesting scene nonetheless that I've actually used as assignment in a "media rhetorics" course I held a couple of years ago. The students were to find the rhetorical strategies within the Hopkins/John Adams speech itself, but also pay attention to other means that were more audiovisual in nature (I didn't say what, but they found out on their own....music, mannerisms, camera movement etc.).
    I am extremely serious.