• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011
    Taras Bulba(Complete Score Re-recording) - Franz Waxman

Absolutely magnificent! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Balto - James Horner

A real epic sweep to this. Hard to believe it was written for an animation. Heavy influence of the Russian greats contributes to the balletic feeling. Extremely strong album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Patrick Doyle

Fans of Thor will enjoy this. I still don't understand the 'Zimmeresque' comments - Zimmer didn't invent the ostinato or synth percussion, and this score is unquestionably Doyle throughout.
  1. Jim Ware wrote

Fans of Thor will enjoy this. I still don't understand the 'Zimmeresque' comments - Zimmer didn't invent the ostinato or synth percussion, and this score is unquestionably Doyle throughout.

I agree. Though it doesn't sound too much like Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yonythemoony wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

I agree. Though it doesn't sound too much like Thor.

A little bit like THOR, I think. The RC/ostinato/wall-of-sound-like thing.

I like Doyle, but I was disappointed by APES. Fine film, but I was hoping Doyle would follow the tradition of previous APES scores by Goldsmith, Schifrin, Elfman etc. and provide some really interesting percussive effects other than the washed-out sound we hear here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Sounds like Thor to me, but less thematic. I wish he'd done a little more with the vocals and ethnic woodwinds.
  2. NP: Jacob - Marco Frisina

Wonderful. I love the main theme, especially the choral rendition in Giacobbe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011
    NP: IMAGES (John Williams)

Probably Williams' most challenging and atonal score, despite some excursions elsewhere too. Weird sonorities counterpointed by baroque classisicm. I have to be in the mood for this one, but it seemed appropriate for some late-night listening, before bed.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. plindboe wrote
    Anyone here know about Yanni? The goofiest looking guy in the universe. I only know of two of his pieces: If I could tell you and The nightingale and I adore them both. Has he made other good pieces?

Peter smile

I'm pretty late to this conversation, but I've been on vacation for a week. I've heard a lot of Yanni, especially his early stuff, and I play quite a few of his piano-based piece, of which this is my favorite. It's a very long piece, but the melody is constantly changing and always interesting. The solo violin is also interesting in this performance, though I think I prefer the regular recording of this piece from his IN MY TIME album. I found several YouTube videos of that, but they were all accompanied by incredibly awful picture montages that I decided not to subject you to.

My general impression of Yanni is that he a) looks like captain hook, b) doesn't always know how to end his pieces well, and c) sounds pretty samey after a while. He has written some very enjoyable music, though, and I can't think of ever hearing anything of his that had chirping birds in it.

The two that you linked to seem like pretty standard Yanni pieces to me. I liked the nightingale piece - that was pretty. If you enjoyed those so much, check out his LIVE AT THE ACROPOLIS album, which has a lot of that and several pieces that I think are better. There are a couple pieces on that album, though, that I think suffer from some badly dated drums and electric guitar. I do enjoy Santorini, and depending on my mood I really enjoy Acroyali/Standing in Motion. On that last one skip the long intro (go to the 1:00 min. mark), and know that there's a massive shift from how it starts at about the 3:00 min. mark. It's fun. That album is quite varied. These two are in a similar style, but there's a lot of different stuff there.

You might be interested to know that Yanni is self taught. I've heard that he doesn't read music, but devised his own system of writing down what he plays that someone else then transribes into music that everyone else can read. Looking at his piano books you can tell that he hasn't been classically trained. His time signatures are some of the most bizzare I've seen, and they change frequently during the middle of a piece.

If you're interested, there is a "new age" pianist that I like much more named Jon Schmidt that really isn't very new agey at all. Perhaps I'll post about him in the non-film-score np thread when I have some more time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The vagaries of the iPod's shuffle put three James Horner tracks in a row - "Theme From Cocoon", "Rocketeer to the Rescue" and "Ride of the Firemares" - seems remarkable that not so long ago you could get such strident, striking melody in mainstream Hollywood films. And what melodies those three are.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The vagaries of the iPod's shuffle put three James Horner tracks in a row - "Theme From Cocoon", "Rocketeer to the Rescue" and "Ride of the Firemares" - seems remarkable that not so long ago you could get such strident, striking melody in mainstream Hollywood films. And what melodies those three are.

Indeed!

Have you noticed that the TV trailer for SUPER 8 uses 'Through The Window' from COCOON!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I did! wave
  4. The Good Son Elmer Bernstein

When I first heard the score I was surprised by the tone Bernstein took with the incredibly beautiful and instantly memorable main theme. Easily one of my all-time favorite themes. I was expecting a really dark tradition horror-type score being the concept of the movie is creepy (as well as the creepy Macaulay Culkin in his career ending role).

plindboe wrote
    Have never been on Twitter. Perhaps I should give it a try, and then subscribe (or whatever it is you do on Twitter) to David Arnold.

I eventually deleted him from my "following" list because his tweets were becoming too nonsensical and hard to follow, but a lot of his tweets were hilarious (assuming it's really him). If you want to know what he's watching on tv, eating, or whatever is going through his head I recommend it. biggrin

Also, I recommend Twitter in general. It is a useful tool to follow sports, news, your career, etc. by following people in the loop. A lot of important events get tweeted before they even make it into the mainstream press.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011
    HOME OF THE DARK BUTTERFLIES | panu aaltio

love

Long time ago I listened to this. My favourite MSM release. A lovely set of piano and string driven pieces with two great dramatic themes. The Past Revealed and Forgiveness are the definite highlights.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: HIDALGO - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Superb!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Just wondering if anyone has heard and likes it?

I've heard it many times and I don't think it's atrocious. I would characterize it as being almost completely underwhelming in light of his score to last year's Prince of Persia. Serviceable in the movie? I haven't seen it. But given the various reviews of the movie said that it is a lackluster film, I could garner that the score (as heard in film) is on par. I like the thematic materials, which Harry tends to not disappoint, regardless of it not being dressed in prototypical Elmer Bernstein Western mode. Yeah, I'm making lots of concession for the score, but hey, I don't hate it and can see some positives in the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    christopher wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Anyone here know about Yanni? The goofiest looking guy in the universe. I only know of two of his pieces: If I could tell you and The nightingale and I adore them both. Has he made other good pieces?

Peter smile

I'm pretty late to this conversation, but I've been on vacation for a week. I've heard a lot of Yanni, especially his early stuff, and I play quite a few of his piano-based piece, of which this is my favorite. It's a very long piece, but the melody is constantly changing and always interesting. The solo violin is also interesting in this performance, though I think I prefer the regular recording of this piece from his IN MY TIME album. I found several YouTube videos of that, but they were all accompanied by incredibly awful picture montages that I decided not to subject you to.

My general impression of Yanni is that he a) looks like captain hook, b) doesn't always know how to end his pieces well, and c) sounds pretty samey after a while. He has written some very enjoyable music, though, and I can't think of ever hearing anything of his that had chirping birds in it.

The two that you linked to seem like pretty standard Yanni pieces to me. I liked the nightingale piece - that was pretty. If you enjoyed those so much, check out his LIVE AT THE ACROPOLIS album, which has a lot of that and several pieces that I think are better. There are a couple pieces on that album, though, that I think suffer from some badly dated drums and electric guitar. I do enjoy Santorini, and depending on my mood I really enjoy Acroyali/Standing in Motion. On that last one skip the long intro (go to the 1:00 min. mark), and know that there's a massive shift from how it starts at about the 3:00 min. mark. It's fun. That album is quite varied. These two are in a similar style, but there's a lot of different stuff there.

You might be interested to know that Yanni is self taught. I've heard that he doesn't read music, but devised his own system of writing down what he plays that someone else then transribes into music that everyone else can read. Looking at his piano books you can tell that he hasn't been classically trained. His time signatures are some of the most bizzare I've seen, and they change frequently during the middle of a piece.

If you're interested, there is a "new age" pianist that I like much more named Jon Schmidt that really isn't very new agey at all. Perhaps I'll post about him in the non-film-score np thread when I have some more time.

Franz and I were talking about Yanni in the other NP thread. I enjoy his music. His Acropolis and Tribute album are among my most enjoyed album of his, mostly due to its orchestrated and lively nature, bolstering the accessible melodies and instrumentations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Peter Gunn - Henry Mancini

Awesome. Main theme is the coolest piece of music I've ever heard.
  5. Today is James Horner's birthday so I'm listening some selections of my favorite scores from him.
  6. Surely not today?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Bregt wrote
    HOME OF THE DARK BUTTERFLIES | panu aaltio
    Long time ago I listened to this. My favourite MSM release. A lovely set of piano and string driven pieces with two great dramatic themes. The Past Revealed and Forgiveness are the definite highlights.

Can't wait to get this for my birthday in a few weeks! Based on the popular buzz (which makes me instantly suspicious it won't be any good) it was getting when it was initially released I decided to give the sound samples a listen and based on those I can't wait to hear the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011
    Secret of the Sahara - Ennio Morricone

Doesn't matter how many times I hear this, I always have the same reaction - which is amazement. This is extraordinary even by the standards of arguably the most extraordinary of film composers. I'm not sure there's a finer album in my whole film music collection.
  8. Holy smokes, that's high praise. I guess I'd better look into that one.

NP: Little Women - Thomas Newman.

A very fine album.
  9. This morning scrolling through my (much reduced) ipod selection of albums, listened to the following:

Hannibal (Zimmer) -- Excellent, and one of his best. I've never quite understand why the bombastic Da Vinci Code score got the acclaim that this was owed.
    Veronica Guerin (Gregson-Williams) -- I created a 20 minute suite of this back when I first got the album, and haven't listened to the original album in years. This was the suite, and I enjoyed it as before.
    Legend of Butch and Sundance (Poledouris) -- A low key, melodic swansong for the great man.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. christopher wrote
    Holy smokes, that's high praise. I guess I'd better look into that one.

I love Morricone, and he often times falls into my favorite composer slot depending on what mood I'm in, but this one never did anything for me. The main theme is good, but it seems to be one of those scores where you have to be patient and wait for the good stuff to happen. I had that disappointing sinking feeling in my stomach after listening to it for the first time after hearing the high praise it normally gets. I couldn't stop thinking, "what if Jerry Goldsmith scored this?" wink

franz_conrad wrote
    Veronica Guerin (Gregson-Williams) -- I created a 20 minute suite of this back when I first got the album, and haven't listened to the original album in years. This was the suite, and I enjoyed it as before.

What tracks did you include in the suite? This has been in my pile of "maybe-get-rid-of-last-chance" CDs, but can't quite get myself to get rid of it yet. It seems like there is some good music in there somewhere it is just so boring to wade through it all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    christopher wrote
    Holy smokes, that's high praise. I guess I'd better look into that one.

I love Morricone, and he often times falls into my favorite composer slot depending on what mood I'm in, but this one never did anything for me. The main theme is good, but it seems to be one of those scores where you have to be patient and wait for the good stuff to happen. I had that disappointing sinking feeling in my stomach after listening to it for the first time after hearing the high praise it normally gets. I couldn't stop thinking, "what if Jerry Goldsmith scored this?" wink

lol
  11. Conrad Pope - Pavillon of Women

Close to perfection. Beautiful, heartfelt, complex and yet simple, very classically driven score with Chinese influences. Great emotions too. I love it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    One of the finest scores written in the past 10-15 years!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: House of the Spirits - Hans Zimmer

This has lots of beautiful moments... I liked it!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JFK (John Williams)

Few current composers nail Americana as well as the bearded one. Great theme. Some ok-ish pop/rock/source cues too, although it doesn't always mesh well with the score.
    I am extremely serious.