• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Going with the Terrence Malick mood today I'm listening to:

James Horner - The New World

Ultimately relaxing album, I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know how much of the score was butchered by the director, but the album is plain lovely.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Stop shouting! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011
    Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

Gorgeous score.
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Ultimately relaxing album, I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know how much of the score was butchered by the director, but the album is plain lovely.

Sorry, did you say you HAVEN'T seen the movie?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. No, I've seen only two Malick movies - The Thin Red Line, well, obviously and very recently Badlands.

Yeah, I know.
  5. Wow. Not even DAYS OF HEAVEN?
    If you like his style of filmmaking, drink deep.
    (Mind you, I can sort of sympathise. I'm holding off seeing the 3 tarkovsky films I haven't seen because once you've seen them all, there's no more to come.)
  6. Days of Heaven is next on the list, yes smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Thor wrote
    NP: LAND OF THE GIANTS (John Williams)

You'll have to be in the mood for his Irwin Allen stuff, in all its melodramatic sturm und drang. But the compositional techniques are something to get lost in if you take it in. Dated, yes, but what a great playing ground to go all-out avantgarde! Slightly more accesible than LOST IN SPACE, though.

LAND OF THE GIANTS was a childhood favorite (along with LOST IN SPACE and TIME TUNNEL) so I really have a soft spot for all the Johnny Williams music composed for these shows.
    But, like you said, you have to be in the right mood for sure!
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Going with the Terrence Malick mood today I'm listening to:

Don't get your hopes up about hearing the score in the film. Some of the best music was cut out in favor of classical music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011 edited
    yonythemoony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Powell - Bolt

First listen actually, save for the songs. Listening to the promo, the score is actually quite good! Great thematic material. The electronic action from the beginning is a bit jarring, but when orchestra kicks in, it's... good.

You need to listen the Academy Promo, it's not the complete score, but several of the cues which we're edited in the release, are in their original form.

Indeed, the promo is a massive improvement over the OST presentation.

I think the electronics in the opening few cues are meant to convey [spoiler]the fakeness of the world in which Bolt has been operating (the TV sets), which Bolt thinks is real[/spoiler]. The same theme from Bolt Transforms returns in a fully orchestral fashion at the end, when [spoiler]Bolt proves himself to be a real hero as well - without needing any super powers[/spoiler].
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Don't get your hopes up about hearing the score in the film. Some of the best music was cut out in favor of some of the best classical music ever written.

Adjectives are often omitted to the detriment of a sentence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Powell - Bolt

First listen actually, save for the songs. Listening to the promo, the score is actually quite good! Great thematic material. The electronic action from the beginning is a bit jarring, but when orchestra kicks in, it's... good.

The electronic action music is from "Bolt TV show" within the movie... so it fits very well. I love how the themes from the show become orchestral once after the star dog was thrown out to the real world.

Actually two or three cues from "the TV show" are missing from the promo.

But my favorite part is the quiet piano playing Mittens theme in some tracks... cat

NP: UP - Michael Giacchino

Because I was just reading his tweets.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  9. DemonStar wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Powell - Bolt

You need to listen the Academy Promo, it's not the complete score, but several of the cues which we're edited in the release, are in their original form.

Indeed, the promo is a massive improvement over the OST presentation.

I think the electronics in the opening few cues are meant to convey [spoiler]the fakeness of the world in which Bolt has been operating (the TV sets), which Bolt thinks is real[/spoiler]. The same theme from Bolt Transforms returns in a fully orchestral fashion at the end, when [spoiler]Bolt proves himself to be a real hero as well - without needing any super powers[/spoiler].

I never thought of this. It makes sense.
  10. NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

"Ballet For Brawlers" - shocked punk

And here endeth this review.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. NP: SIGNS - James Newton Howard

I'm just finishing this up, listening to "Hand of Fate, Part 2" right now. What a track. It would be very difficult for me to come up with a single cue by JNH that I enjoy more than this one. What a dynamite finish to a really good score!

Incidentally, has anyone ever heard that JNH goes by his full name because when he came to the industry there was already a James Howard and he needed to be listed with his agency or something by a different name? I can't remember where I heard that.
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

"Ballet For Brawlers" - shocked punk

And here endeth this review.

still one of the best scores of the last couple of years
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  13. Southall wrote
    Squanto - Joel McNeely

The type of score that made me fall in love with film music. It's not his best (it's not in Iron Will class), but so hugely entertaining despite being at times almost comically derivative of Williams.

you bet, I'm sad it doesn't reach Iron Will, but it sure sounds lovely and entertaining. And it above all beats scores of the past couple of years silly with its power, rhythm and lyricism
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Black Hole - John Barry

With the rumors of Intrada's August 23rd release being a restored, remastered, complete, non-limited edition of this score I thought I'd give the original LP presentation a spin. It has been YEARS since I've listened to this. I haven't seen the film since I was a kid. I have no clue how much music is missing and whatnot... and I know an expanded treatment of this (especially it's premiere CD release) is a holy grail for most but I find that the LP presentation is an excellent presentation of the music even though it is only under 31 minutes in length! Lots of memorable themes and deliciously dark material!

BTW, I got a fever and the only prescription is more blaster beam!

-Erik-

There's some very good music missing from that old release, particularly some lovely mysterioso music for when the crew first come across the Cygnus sitting in space, I really like the VINCENT v Maximillian music too.

The film isn't as bad as some people suggest, it's just not that great either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    NP: SIGNS - James Newton Howard

I'm just finishing this up, listening to "Hand of Fate, Part 2" right now. What a track. It would be very difficult for me to come up with a single cue by JNH that I enjoy more than this one. What a dynamite finish to a really good score!

When I use the word "dynamite" I'm always to referring to part 1, since part 2 is more of a fade-out epilogue thing to me. In any case, I've never understood why they split it up. If they hadn't, I would consider The hand of fate to be one of the greatest tracks of all time. Now it's like two halves of a great track each of them seeming incomplete.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DemonStar wrote
    The same theme from Bolt Transforms returns in a fully orchestral fashion at the end, when [spoiler]Bolt proves himself to be a real hero as well - without needing any super powers[/spoiler].

Hehe, I'd hardly call that a spoiler. Judging from the trailer you could have guessed that ending with a single brain cell.

Peter smile
  14. NP: El Celo (Presence Of Mind) - Ángel Illarramendi

A very dark, gothic score, with some beautiful choral moments, and a haunting main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

It would take something truly miraculous to knock this off its perch as the best soundtrack release of 2011. You could search high and wide and go on searching high and wide and I don't think you'd find a more beautiful film score, because I don't think there is one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
    Southall wrote
    Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

It would take something truly miraculous to knock this off its perch as the best soundtrack release of 2011. You could search high and wide and go on searching high and wide and I don't think you'd find a more beautiful film score, because I don't think there is one.

I hope it doesn't sell out soon? I presume you're listening to the FSM release?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  15. NP: Or was, rather, Tadlow/Prometheus Conan the Barbarian.

Great to hear one of the great scores in truly wonderful sound.
  16. NP: Tamara Drewe (Alexandre Desplat)

Oh, oh dear. I thought when I heard the main theme from this -- 'ah, what a lovely quirky theme, might get that cd, see where that theme goes.' Look, it's more than just a few versions of that theme, but come the end I never did want to hear it ever again. dizzy His other 17 scores from the last year or so are better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yeah, its good for a standalone cue once in a while, but its not a very strong album...

Desplat has become an instant buy for me though, and I don't mind this score, he's never disappointed me after a blind buy so much as others, Howard for example... :P
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  17. Well, in the film, the use of the theme it makes a lot of sense.
  18. I'm sure it does yony. I was just assessing the album.
    I wasn't a huge fan of Julia vs Julie either. To me Desplat did all this stuff at his best back in The Upside of Anger, where there was sombre material to leaven the fun.
  19. franz_conrad wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Don't get your hopes up about hearing the score in the film. Some of the best music was cut out in favor of some of the best classical music ever written.

Adjectives are often omitted to the detriment of a sentence.

No, I meant what I said at first. The fact that "All Is Lost" didn't play in its entirety makes the film seem incomplete.