• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    It's the most beautiful score ever composed. I don't get you.

I can't agree with that statement but there are beautiful moments for sure... I even said so above... but there is something about FSM's presentation of the score that's not working for me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011
    Indeed it's not just a complete release, it's completer or completest. The release would have been better had it avoided the repetition of the same material.

I stand by my statement though that it's the most beautiful score ever composed. There might be a few better, but when it comes to beauty and athmosphere Days of heaven is the clear winner, to my ears.

Peter smile
  1. I'll have to fully analyze it and watch all the movies, but I wonder if there isn't just a certain atmosphere to scores for Terrence Malick films, there were certainly moments in Days of Heaven that reminded me of The Thin Red Line. I haven't even listened to the full original album, because mom wanted to hear parts of Bach's St. Matthew's Passion, so I had to change the music, but certainly a beautiful work it is.

Desplat's The Tree of Life also had parts that reminded me of The Thin Red Line. For now the score that is the furthest to the general approach is Horner's The New World, because it is very close to Horner's own comfort zone, while retaining a much more restrained and magical atmosphere than his usual works, but it's still a James Horner score alright. The only thing that reminded me of Zimmer's score (which except Badlands watched two-three weeks ago is my only exposure to Terrence Malick's career, mind you!) was a Lohengrin adaptation in Winter/Battle.

I will certainly investigate the Malick connection and analyze it properly.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I had to turn off Days of Heaven at the 20 track mark of the first disc. It not something you just play in the background! It's excellent music, don't get me wrong, but you have to be in the right mood for that sort of score and you need to be willing to dedicate a full 2 hours and 16 minutes to get through it all. I got through 47 minutes and it felt like 2 hours and 16 minutes. Not sure when I will return to this one.

Peter smile

I don't really like it. There, I have said it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Good to see traditional divisions on the board offer us some sense of consistency over time. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I don't really like it. There, I have said it.

I hate you! angry

wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA (John Williams)

Great, super-romantic score that seems influenced somewhat by his later concert works.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. yonythemoony wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: King Kong (Complete Recording Sessions) - James Newton Howard

It's so nice to finally hear this score in the original chronological order, and some music from the movie which didn't make it to the original CD release.

Where did you get this? I've been scouring the Net for years looking for it!

It has been leaked since yesterday, try to look for it.

Now I just need the complete sessions to The Perfect Storm and House of Sand and Fog...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MIDWAY (John Williams)

This doesn't get too many spins....mostly because there isn't that much interesting outside the march and the theme. Lots of dissonant suspense writing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

This doesn't get too many spins....mostly because there isn't that much interesting outside the march and the theme. Lots of dissonant suspense writing.

I don't like any of it, never play it, a dust collector.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'll have to fully analyze it and watch all the movies, but I wonder if there isn't just a certain atmosphere to scores for Terrence Malick films, there were certainly moments in Days of Heaven that reminded me of The Thin Red Line. I haven't even listened to the full original album, because mom wanted to hear parts of Bach's St. Matthew's Passion, so I had to change the music, but certainly a beautiful work it is.

Desplat's The Tree of Life also had parts that reminded me of The Thin Red Line. For now the score that is the furthest to the general approach is Horner's The New World, because it is very close to Horner's own comfort zone, while retaining a much more restrained and magical atmosphere than his usual works, but it's still a James Horner score alright. The only thing that reminded me of Zimmer's score (which except Badlands watched two-three weeks ago is my only exposure to Terrence Malick's career, mind you!) was a Lohengrin adaptation in Winter/Battle.

Your Mum want's to listen to St. Matthews Passion? cool beer

your Mum has great taste Pawel, what else does she like?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I picked these for the reception/social hour/dinner music for my wedding next month:

1) Denouement "Atonement" by Dario Marianelli
    2) As It (Perhaps) Was "I Captue the Castle" by Dario Marianelli
    3) Main Title "Father of the Bride" by Alan Silvestri
    4) Where is Mr. Barrie? "Finding Neverland" by Jan Kaczmarek
    5) Neverland Piano Variation in Blue "Finding Neverland" by Jan Kaczmarek
    6) Main Title (I Had a Farm in Africa) "Out of Africa" by John Barry
    7) Theme from Somewhere in Time "Somewhere in Time" by John Barry
    8) The Wedding Night "Frankenstein" by Partick Doyle
    9) Overture "Much Ado About Nothing" by Patrick Doyle
    10) Throw the Coins "Sense and Sensibility" by Patrick Doyle
    11) Katie's Program "Blizzard" by Mark McKenzie
    12) Finale (East of Eden) by Lee Holdridge
    13) Beauty and the Beast "100 Greatest Tv Themes, Vol. 2" Prague Philharmonic
    14) For Always "A.I." by Josh Groban, Lara Fabian, John Williams
    15) Ascension/Gloria Patri "The Great Miracle" by Mark McKenzie
    16) Paradise Theme "Angel" by Philippe Rombi
    17) Orchard House (Main Title) "Little Women" by Thomas Newman
    18) One Can Die of Love "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    19) Revolver (Blood in the Streets) "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    20) Cinema Paradiso "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    21) For Annette and Warren "Love Affair" by Ennio Morricone
    22) Sighs and Sighs "Phantom of the Opera" by Ennio Morricone
    23) Gabriel's Oboe "Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" by Yo Yo Ma and Ennio Morricone
    24) The Falls "Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" by Yo Yo Ma and Ennio Morricone
    25) Malena (Main Theme) "Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" by Yo Yo Ma and Ennio Morricone
    26) Looking for You (Love Theme) - Cinema Paradiso "Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" by Yo Yo Ma and Ennio Morricone
    27) Deborah's Theme "Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" by Yo Yo Ma and Ennio Morricone
    28) Dinner (Lady Caliph) "Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" by Yo Yo Ma and Ennio Morricone
    29) Winter Ride "Suite St. Petersburg" by Kostia
    30) Piano Suite "Secondhand Lions" by Patrick Doyle
    31) The Blood of Cu Chulainn "A Celtic Romance" by Mychael and Jeff Danna
    32) Temptress Moon - Take for Granted "Farwell My Concubine" by City Prague Philharmonic
    33) Lovers (Mei and Jin) "House of Flying Daggers" by Shigeru Umebayashi
    34) Ladies in Lavender "Ladies in Lavender" by Nigel Hess
    35) The Beginning of the Partnership "Shakespeare in Love" by Stephen Warbeck
    36) Harriet's Theme "Old Gringo" by Lee Holdridge
    37) Sonnenscheins "Sunshine" by Maurice Jarre
    38) Romeo "Romeo and Juliet" by Nino Rota
    39) Juliet "Romeo and Juliet" by Nino Rota
    40) Mother "Kikujiro" by Joe Hisaishi
    41) Summer Road "Kikujiro" by Joe Hisaishi
    42) Reprise "Spirited Away" by Joe Hisaishi

Some of the titles aren't exactly "appropriate" for a wedding, but the actual music is. Perhaps I've gone a little too far! But, I've been listening to these tracks all day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote

I can't agree with that statement but there are beautiful moments for sure... I even said so above... but there is something about FSM's presentation of the score that's not working for me.

-Erik-

As with a lot of deluxe soundtrack albums, sticking it in and pressing play and waiting for it to finish is a horrendous presentation. I think you just have to pick one of the three programmes - remastered original album, score as heard in the film, or (approximately) score as written for the film. The latter is my favourite. I just stick the second disc in and make sure I press stop before the bonus tracks begin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011 edited
    Yeap, I chose the 'score as written for the film' program on disc 2, and it's a great presentation (apart from the bonus tracks at the end). Since it also features music that is tonally not in key with the serene and calm film (action cues, even) it's a lot more diverse and more colorful than the score as presented in the film is. This way it completely merits a full disc worth of music. Just give it a(nother) try.
  6. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'll have to fully analyze it and watch all the movies, but I wonder if there isn't just a certain atmosphere to scores for Terrence Malick films, there were certainly moments in Days of Heaven that reminded me of The Thin Red Line. I haven't even listened to the full original album, because mom wanted to hear parts of Bach's St. Matthew's Passion, so I had to change the music, but certainly a beautiful work it is.

Your Mum want's to listen to St. Matthews Passion? cool beer

your Mum has great taste Pawel, what else does she like?

Not much else. She isn't very knowledgeable in classical music, in fact not at all, but she is reading a novel about Mendelssohn and a huge plot there is Mendelssohn finding Bach's work and bringing it back to public knowledge and Bach is a character, so she wanted to hear what the fuss was about.

It seems that in the morning they were also listening (her and my dad) to some Mendelssohn. I think it's some education time smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't like any of it, never play it, a dust collector.

Well, I think that was a bit harsh. The Midway and Men of Yorktown marches are very good, and there's some softer material that is nice. But to each their own.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're probably right Thor but when I want a Williams fix I can't bring myself to pull that one off the shelf with so many other great scores screaming at me to play them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    I picked these for the reception/social hour/dinner music for my wedding next month:

Great selections! Hopefully some of the pieces will be recognized by the guests.

To make a playlist like that and play it at a wedding is probably what appeals to me most about getting married.

Advice: Add "Klendathu drop" somewhere in the middle of the list. That or "The murder" from "Psycho".

Peter wink
  7. I was thinking more of "Finale" from Psycho, with the dramatic conclusion and those low chords playing just as "I do" is spoken.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for the nudge Peter...

NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

punk
  8. muckle_dabuckle wrote
    I picked these for the reception/social hour/dinner music for my wedding next month

Great list! I'm not familiar with all of those, but many of them are among my favorite tracks of film music. That should be lovely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Thanks for the nudge Peter...

NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

punk

punkbiggrin punkbiggrin punkbiggrin punkbiggrin punkbiggrin punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    After that I feel like listening to more bigness...

NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    L'enfant des loups (Serge Franklin)

Peter wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    L'enfant des loups (Serge Franklin)

Peter wave

I need to play this again soon, it's a really good score.
  9. plindboe wrote
    Great selections! Hopefully some of the pieces will be recognized by the guests.

I think some of the Morricone pieces, The Ludlows, Shakespeare in Love, and the Kostia piece (being it was used in Home Depot commercials for the 2004 Summer Olympics) will be recognized for sure.

To make a playlist like that and play it at a wedding is probably what appeals to me most about getting married.

LOL! Assuming your significant other would allow such music...my fiancee hasn't really heard any of these yet, but I already told the DJ to include them. biggrin I'll let her have her way for the dance music though.

Advice: Add "Klendathu drop" somewhere in the middle of the list. That or "The murder" from "Psycho".

Haha...tempting. I already had to cut back some questionable stuff that is embarrassing to listen to in public unless you are a) at a movie, or b) in a movie studio.

We are also having "Adoration" by Felix Borowski as our special music at the ceremony:

http://youtu.be/3HeSbwMvxBM

Never heard of it until one of my Groomsmen, who plays violin, recommended it.

christopher wrote
    I'm not familiar with all of those

Which ones?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I need to play this again soon, it's a really good score.

Indeed, every track is a gem. punk

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    I think some of the Morricone pieces, The Ludlows, Shakespeare in Love, and the Kostia piece (being it was used in Home Depot commercials for the 2004 Summer Olympics) will be recognized for sure.

I haven't heard the Kostia piece before. my best guesses would have that Out of Africa, Gabriel's oboe and the Cinema Paradiso love theme have the best chances of being recognized. Why not add the love theme from Romeo and Juliet? You can hear a bit of it in the Juliet track, but why not play the entire love theme?

Don't be too disappointed if no one comes up and talks about the music. In my dealings with non-film score fans (or "muggles" as I like to call them) they tend to disappoint in this area.

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    LOL! Assuming your significant other would allow such music...my fiancee hasn't really heard any of these yet, but I already told the DJ to include them. biggrin I'll let her have her way for the dance music though.

Hehe, I hope she approves of your music, and that she hasn't chosen awful dance music.

I'm lucky in that my gf is as crazy about film music as I am. She has already made a "Funeral" playlist for her own funeral, which is rather depressing and I don't want to know what she has put ot it as I'd never be able to enjoy them again. smile No doubt it's filled with Morricone.

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Haha...tempting. I already had to cut back some questionable stuff that is embarrassing to listen to in public unless you are a) at a movie, or b) in a movie studio.

We are also having "Adoration" by Felix Borowski as our special music at the ceremony:

http://youtu.be/3HeSbwMvxBM

Never heard of it until one of my Groomsmen, who plays violin, recommended it.

Lovely piece indeed.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MINORITY REPORT (John Williams)

Great action/thriller score with some smokin' ostinatos and soft piano themes. Almost like A.I.'s darker brother, if you will. I really don't play this enough.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Ennio Morricone - Days of Heaven

Wow, first full listen and it IS a beauty.
  11. Thor wrote
    NP: MINORITY REPORT (John Williams)

Great action/thriller score with some smokin' ostinatos and soft piano themes. Almost like A.I.'s darker brother, if you will. I really don't play this enough.

I agree. It has the same essence and soundscape of A.I., but much more darker but still melodic. Sean's theme is one of my favorites.