• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I almost threw it away. Finally somebody bought the damn thing from me for five dollars.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: MINORITY REPORT (John Williams)

Great action/thriller score with some smokin' ostinatos and soft piano themes. Almost like A.I.'s darker brother, if you will. I really don't play this enough.

I love them both. My favorite Williams scores for my favorite Spielberg films...
  3. NP: Beauty Killed The Beast (Alternate II) - King Kong

The chorus in the last minute is amazing. Why in the film and the original CD release was barely audible? It seems like it became a trend to make the choir mix so low that you can't listen to it. Like in DH Part 2.
  4. plindboe wrote
    I haven't heard the Kostia piece before.

I love the sound of piano (my favorite instrument) and "Winter Ride" is found on his 'Suite St. Petersburg" album. The piece could easily fit into a movie, especially during opening credits or some sort of montage (if it is possible to score a montage without wailing ethnic vocals). The entire album is all piano solos and some of the pieces are quite amazing. Kostia has some amazing finger dexterity!

my best guesses would have that Out of Africa, Gabriel's oboe and the Cinema Paradiso love theme have the best chances of being recognized.

I think that is very possible.

Why not add the love theme from Romeo and Juliet? You can hear a bit of it in the Juliet track, but why not play the entire love theme?

I haven't listened to the album in a while (even though it used to be one of my all time favorites) and was just skimming the tracks and picked those two. I'll have to give the love theme a listen again.

Don't be too disappointed if no one comes up and talks about the music. In my dealings with non-film score fans (or "muggles" as I like to call them) they tend to disappoint in this area.

Most likely will be the case. I think most people there are either going to be country music fans or classical music snobs. The groomsman I mentioned earlier, that plays violin in an orchestra, made fun of my soundtracks once! biggrin

Hehe, I hope she approves of your music, and that she hasn't chosen awful dance music.

She doesn't mind soundtracks, but she doesn't go out of her way to listen to them. wink We have chosen a lot of 80s pop music so far for the dance, but no dance music (we banned rap too!).

She has already made a "Funeral" playlist for her own funeral, which is rather depressing and I don't want to know what she has put ot it as I'd never be able to enjoy them again. smile

Haha...that's weird. I guess it's never too early to plan for your own funeral, but I think planning the will is probably more important! biggrin

No doubt it's filled with Morricone.

Morricone can be used for any and all occasions!
  5. christopher wrote
    I'm not familiar with all of those

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Which ones?

2) As It (Perhaps) Was "I Captue the Castle" by Dario Marianelli
    (Though I just bought this on your recommendation in the MSM thread)
    9) Overture "Much Ado About Nothing" by Patrick Doyle
    12) Finale (East of Eden) by Lee Holdridge
    13) Beauty and the Beast "100 Greatest Tv Themes, Vol. 2" Prague Philharmonic
    18) One Can Die of Love "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    19) Revolver (Blood in the Streets) "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    22) Sighs and Sighs "Phantom of the Opera" by Ennio Morricone
    29) Winter Ride "Suite St. Petersburg" by Kostia
    30) Piano Suite "Secondhand Lions" by Patrick Doyle
    (I've seen the film and remember liking the music, but I couldn't identify this if I heard it again)
    31) The Blood of Cu Chulainn "A Celtic Romance" by Mychael and Jeff Danna
    32) Temptress Moon - Take for Granted "Farwell My Concubine" by City Prague Philharmonic
    33) Lovers (Mei and Jin) "House of Flying Daggers" by Shigeru Umebayashi
    35) The Beginning of the Partnership "Shakespeare in Love" by Stephen Warbeck
    40) Mother "Kikujiro" by Joe Hisaishi
    41) Summer Road "Kikujiro" by Joe Hisaishi
    42) Reprise "Spirited Away" by Joe Hisaishi
    (Again, I've seen the film, and remember the music seemed to be a lot of Hisaishi's typical piano-y stuff)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011
    City of Fear - Jerry Goldsmith

This is just an astonishing release, one of the year's best so far. Though only 29 minutes long, each one is brilliantly constructed. Staggering to think that Goldsmith's genius was shining so brightly in just his second feature score way back in 1958. I'm totally in love with this. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Indeed. It's very retro cool. And historically important to Goldsmith fans.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011 edited
    NP : L'ENFANT DES LOUPS - Serge Franklin

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ennio Morricone - Days of Heaven

Wow, first full listen and it IS a beauty.

It is! Great taste, Pawel!

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    I love the sound of piano (my favorite instrument) and "Winter Ride" is found on his 'Suite St. Petersburg" album. The piece could easily fit into a movie, especially during opening credits or some sort of montage (if it is possible to score a montage without wailing ethnic vocals). The entire album is all piano solos and some of the pieces are quite amazing. Kostia has some amazing finger dexterity!

I shall listen to that piece a few times more. If I fall for it, I shall check out the album.

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Why not add the love theme from Romeo and Juliet? You can hear a bit of it in the Juliet track, but why not play the entire love theme?

I haven't listened to the album in a while (even though it used to be one of my all time favorites) and was just skimming the tracks and picked those two. I'll have to give the love theme a listen again.

Hehe, it's only one of the most famous film music themes in history. tongue You really must familiarize yourself with it. You might even have some people recognize it. I can't tell the number of times I've heard it in comercials, documentaries and even when waiting on a queue on the phone.

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Most likely will be the case. I think most people there are either going to be country music fans or classical music snobs. The groomsman I mentioned earlier, that plays violin in an orchestra, made fun of my soundtracks once! biggrin

Hehe, for me, that would be enough to get him booted as a groomsman.

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    She doesn't mind soundtracks, but she doesn't go out of her way to listen to them. wink We have chosen a lot of 80s pop music so far for the dance, but no dance music (we banned rap too!).

Good choices. Rap is the last thing I'd expect at a wedding, well that, and Marilyn Manson.

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Morricone can be used for any and all occasions!

Amen!

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    People have raved on about DAYS OF HEAVEN for so long, I really should check it out! I love Morricone's melodic side, but hate his more experimental and dissonant.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

cool

I like the power I have over you, Timmer. biggrin

Next I command thee to listen to Patrick Doyle's Henry V.

Peter punk
  6. plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ennio Morricone - Days of Heaven

Wow, first full listen and it IS a beauty.

It is! Great taste, Pawel!

Peter wave

It's interesting how some of this score foreshadows Zimmer's The Thin Red Line and some of it foreshadows Horner's The New World. Is there really a Terrence Malick sound?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    People have raved on about DAYS OF HEAVEN for so long, I really should check it out! I love Morricone's melodic side, but hate his more experimental and dissonant.

Knowing you, you'd probably prefer the shorter release though. The FSM release would annoy you. Try to find the release where "Two mules for Sister Sara" is combined with "Days of Heaven". A very odd match but both are excellent scores.

Talking about dissonance, "Days of heaven" is practially free of it. You probably wouldn't like "The chase", but the tension track called "The fire" I think is a fascinating piece. All the other tracks are melodic, peaceful and beautiful.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's interesting how some of this score foreshadows Zimmer's The Thin Red Line and some of it foreshadows Horner's The New World. Is there really a Terrence Malick sound?

Perhaps. It certainly has a unique feel, unlike any other Morricone score.

Peter smile
  7. Desplat's Tree of Life also features similar moments to Zimmer's The Thin Red Line.

It's worth exploring for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

I like the power I have over you, Timmer. biggrin

Next I command thee to listen to Patrick Doyle's Henry V.

Peter punk

Good try Padwan and tempting but I fancy this one far farrrrrrrrrrrrr more...

NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

Pure class! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ah, yes, I was close to commanding that one. Great music from start to finish.

Peter punk
  8. Possibly Barry's best score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Possibly Barry's best score.

It's one of my very favourites.....of any composer. As to whether it's his "best" depends on what criteria you base that on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Knowing you, you'd probably prefer the shorter release though. The FSM release would annoy you. Try to find the release where "Two mules for Sister Sara" is combined with "Days of Heaven". A very odd match but both are excellent scores.

Talking about dissonance, "Days of heaven" is practially free of it. You probably wouldn't like "The chase", but the tension track called "The fire" I think is a fascinating piece. All the other tracks are melodic, peaceful and beautiful.

Peter smile

Thanks. Yes, I should probably seek out the two-fer release.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MISSOURI BREAKS (John Williams)

Twangy Americana stuff. It's pretty good, actually, in its down-and-dirty grittiness. I love Williams scores that go outside the neo-classical.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I hated that score in the film, to be honest, never got around to listen to it outside.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't like it too much either, it does have a few good moments though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I hated that score in the film, to be honest, never got around to listen to it outside.

It worked fine in the film, IMO, but is an even better listen alone. If you like that kind of twangy hillbilly stuff with an occasional experimental twist, that is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

Twangy Americana stuff. It's pretty good, actually, in its down-and-dirty grittiness. I love Williams scores that go outside the neo-classical.

The love theme is exquisite.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Peter smile

It is. Williams is a master at love themes.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: Tambien la Luvia (Alberto Iglesias)

It's a big year for Iglesias, between this and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
    Tambien can probably be best described as 'textural quivering'. He and Desplat have an interesting take on minimalism, both serve films very well.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Tambien la Luvia (Alberto Iglesias)

It's a big year for Iglesias, between this and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
    Tambien can probably be best described as 'textural quivering'. He and Desplat have an interesting take on minimalism, both serve films very well.

This is a difficult score for me to enjoy though there are some nice (though not in the nice as in happy) string passages.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Peter smile

It is. Williams is a master at love themes.

He is indeed!