• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    NP : THE FLY - Howard Shore

It's on TV now but I've seen it enough times, it has however, prompted me to play the superb score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The Deathly Hallows Part I - Alexandre Desplat

Fun times. cool
  2. ^^ I think I may have brushed this score off too soon. I'm really loving this now. I'm eager to hear Part 2.
  3. christopher wrote
    2) As It (Perhaps) Was "I Captue the Castle" by Dario Marianelli
    (Though I just bought this on your recommendation in the MSM thread)

Let me know what you think of it. Don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction so I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy it!

9) Overture "Much Ado About Nothing" by Patrick Doyle
    12) Finale (East of Eden) by Lee Holdridge
    13) Beauty and the Beast "100 Greatest Tv Themes, Vol. 2" Prague Philharmonic
    18) One Can Die of Love "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    19) Revolver (Blood in the Streets) "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    22) Sighs and Sighs "Phantom of the Opera" by Ennio Morricone
    29) Winter Ride "Suite St. Petersburg" by Kostia
    30) Piano Suite "Secondhand Lions" by Patrick Doyle
    (I've seen the film and remember liking the music, but I couldn't identify this if I heard it again)
    31) The Blood of Cu Chulainn "A Celtic Romance" by Mychael and Jeff Danna
    32) Temptress Moon - Take for Granted "Farwell My Concubine" by City Prague Philharmonic
    33) Lovers (Mei and Jin) "House of Flying Daggers" by Shigeru Umebayashi
    35) The Beginning of the Partnership "Shakespeare in Love" by Stephen Warbeck
    40) Mother "Kikujiro" by Joe Hisaishi
    41) Summer Road "Kikujiro" by Joe Hisaishi
    42) Reprise "Spirited Away" by Joe Hisaishi
    (Again, I've seen the film, and remember the music seemed to be a lot of Hisaishi's typical piano-y stuff)

I don't know what to really say about these other than you should buy them all! They all have instantly memorable/beautiful themes that are a legit foundation to any score collection and not just padding to a bottle cap collection. If I had to pick just one or two from that list it would be 'East of Eden' and 'Kikujiro.' 'East of Eden' has one of the all-time best movie themes period.

plindboe wrote
    I shall listen to that piece a few times more. If I fall for it, I shall check out the album.

Okay. I've tried other Kostia works, but they really didn't do anything for me. For some reason this CD just sounds impressive to me.

Hehe, it's only one of the most famous film music themes in history. tongue You really must familiarize yourself with it. You might even have some people recognize it. I can't tell the number of times I've heard it in comercials, documentaries and even when waiting on a queue on the phone.

I used to be familiar with it, but I often times get caught up in the main dilemma score fans face: market saturation. I have too many CDs to listen to everything on a regular basis so sometimes I forget I have certain scores. One of the few people that seems to control themselves in this area is Christopher.

Hehe, for me, that would be enough to get him booted as a groomsman.

biggrin Maybe I'll win him over with all of those scores playing during the reception! Or make him hate them more...

and Marilyn Manson.

Yuck! Forgot about him! As has everyone else apparently!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Testament - James Horner

Three memorable thematic elements that help underline the power of an intimate, incredibly moving film. Even at 29 minutes, pretty close to perfection.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ICE STATION ZEBRA - Michel Legrand

This is a fabulous score with great thematic material and colourful orchestrations.

Jerry Goldsmith was originally slated to score this film but this is an occasion I'm happy he didn't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE - Max Steiner

Fantastic stuff, probably my favourite Steiner score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KRULL - James Horner

Bliss!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JANE EYRE - John Williams

JW's most beautiful score IMO, and one of my all time favourites from any composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Commando - James Horner

Why the heck does it feel like Horney just plain doesn't know how to program his synth drums? Percussion lines just run over and on top of each other without any sense of rhythmic identity. I imagine that he was able to get one synth line to twinkle and proceeded to incur a massive case of ADD and couldn't stop smashing the synth drums. The sad thing is that most of those tracks start out great, and then it all go to heck by the end and becomes an absolute chore to slag through. I'm glad he stuck to his orchestra, cause electronic wizard he ain't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I love that score!

BTW, an expanded version is coming soon from La La Land!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JANE EYRE - John Williams

JW's most beautiful score IMO, and one of my all time favourites from any composer.

No argument from me.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: Fright Night (Ramin Djawadi)

Standard stuff that's held above par due to the temptrack influences of Bram Stoker's Dracula. I'm sure it will fit the movie perfectly, and on disc it makes for enjoyable listening (despite it being terribly repetitive). The last track is a good one though
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Fright Night (Ramin Djawadi)

Standard stuff that's held above par due to the temptrack influences of Bram Stoker's Dracula. I'm sure it will fit the movie perfectly, and on disc it makes for enjoyable listening (despite it being terribly repetitive). The last track is a good one though

What's that? A remake of the ol' 80's horror comedy?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Fright Night (Ramin Djawadi)

What's that? A remake of the ol' 80's horror comedy?

yep, it is. I liked the original one very much, cool atmosphere and incredible make up effects. The remake doesn't look too bad, have to check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txgGhyjPZGg
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ I love that score!

BTW, an expanded version is coming soon from La La Land!

-Erik-

Gosh, I really wanted to like it, but the random percussion tracks being layered without rhythmic cohesion doesn't make sense at all to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Need 4 Speed - Shift 2 - Unleashed - Ramin Djawadi

Been listening to this game score for a long time now and I must say that Ramin did a great job with remixing the songs for an epic feel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Warrior - Mark Isham

Pretty good, this. Has the very distinctive Isham sound, very atmospheric electronics mixed with a handful of soloists and a small orchestra.
  6. Southall wrote
    Warrior - Mark Isham

Pretty good, this. Has the very distinctive Isham sound, very atmospheric electronics mixed with a handful of soloists and a small orchestra.

The thing I like most about this release is the song, "About Today" by The National!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MUNICH (John Williams)

Underrated score. His rendition of the Hatikvah is drop-dead gorgeous.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I like that score, and it's probably my favourite Spielberg film post-Empire of the Sun. (Partly why Indiana Jones was such a disappointment coming after -- his direction in Munich was so clear and effective.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like that score, and it's probably my favourite Spielberg film post-Empire of the Sun. (Partly why Indiana Jones was such a disappointment coming after -- his direction in Munich was so clear and effective.)

Agreed. I think INDY IV had its qualities, but it almost felt like he wasn't really ready for that kind of popcorn flick....as if his style had become too mature for it after that. On the other hand, I thought WAR OF THE WORLDS was really good and also much better than what people give it credit for.

I don't think TINTIN or WAR HORSE will be indicative of his current -popcorn skills. We'll need another fullblown feature film for that (not animated), and it may be a while since LINCOLN is apparently coming up after that.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I agree about WAR OF THE WORLDS. Magnificent direction. I feel the way he navigates the emotions of the script in the second half is a bit by the numbers though, and it isn't helped that the script seems to run out of steam after the encounter with Tim Robbins. What is there up to then though is a stronger take on that film than anyone else has done in many a year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I agree about WAR OF THE WORLDS. Magnificent direction. I feel the way he navigates the emotions of the script in the second half is a bit by the numbers though, and it isn't helped that the script seems to run out of steam after the encounter with Tim Robbins. What is there up to then though is a stronger take on that film than anyone else has done in many a year.

The basement scene is fantastic, I think. Brilliant psychological chamber drama. It DOES feel a bit whimsical after that, but there are a few wonderful individual setpieces, which he always does so well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I loved War of the Worlds and Munich. His two strongest of that decade, I think.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Sin Nombre - Marcelo Zarvos

Love the consistently interesting colours and texture of this score. Plenty of wonderful little melodies and it all feels very heartfelt too.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Soul Surfer - Marco Beltrami

The Hawaiian colours are perhaps a risky choice but they work. As always with Beltrami the action music is strong and the main theme is beautiful. The Hymn really does develop into something with a genuinely religious feel too.
  9. I see that Beltrami's site offers PDFs of the Hawaiian chants for several tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Really? Nice one, will check it out.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Rachel Portman

Undeniably beautiful and undeniably Portman for every second of it. Covers similar ground to my favourite score of hers actually, The Joy Luck Club, though the main theme isn't as good (despite the first two notes being the same). I think I prefer the recent Never Let Me Go to this as well, though seeing that film enhanced my love for it a lot.
  10. David OC wrote
    Really? Nice one, will check it out.

http://www.marcobeltrami.com/audio.html