• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

Dark and doom leaden, I've fallen in love with a score I only 'liked' before.

I like dark, moody Barry....

NP : THE WHITE BUFFALO - John Barry

In some ways this is as close as Barry gets to a horror score, great music and another one of those releases I thought would never see the light.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. REIGN OF FIRE - EDWARD SHEARMUR

My first proper listen of this score... pretty awesome in fact in all its atonal complexity. A bit similar to The Matrix in how its tracks play out. No themes but man is it powerful in places...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    REIGN OF FIRE - EDWARD SHEARMUR

My first proper listen of this score... pretty awesome in fact in all its atonal complexity. A bit similar to The Matrix in how its tracks play out. No themes but man is it powerful in places...

There are a some really meaty and angry bits of scoring in there. I only wish that there were MORE of it through out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011 edited
    Hannibal (Zimmer)

There isn't much I like about this album. The monologue in three of the tracks destroy those for me. Then we have Bach's piece, but I don't like this performance and there's annoying humming, so don't like that. Then we have "To every captive soul" which is basically a famous piece by Mahler, so I've heard that before. We're left with "Vide cor meum" which is nice, but then it ends with bloody Anthony Hopkins again and then some horror sounds destroying the experience. The most listenable tracks left are "Avarice" and "Virtue", but even these are a bit lackluster.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011
    I feel the same way about that album Peter. The only thing I like is the children's choir but its COVERED UP sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. yonythemoony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Golly. How do demos get out? The defences are getting more porous these days! dizzy

lol Recently the demos for Captain America and Pirates 4 we're leaked.

That's not unrealistic for a Zimmer score. The demos often leak into the films too. wink
    There must be a soundtrack fan or two in the music editor ranks.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Famously, Witt's death scene in The Thin Red Line (huge part of The Lagoon on the soundtrack) worked better in the film as a demo than the orchestral recording and they used it because of that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. THIN RED LINE -- now there's a fuller score release I'd like to hear.

It's not that uncommon for demos to make it in. There are sections of David Shire's The Conversation score where you can tell it's his rickety old home piano rather than the studio piano that the score was properly recorded on.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Departures by Joe Hisaishi: Just lovely
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER - Henry Mancini

Timmer's Top Tip : Don't invite thieves to dinner.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011 edited
    NP: Drive - Cliff Martinez and others

Not bad. The electronic scoring of this kind makes me feel nostalgic for the 80s, being a child and growing up in that era. I haven't seen the movie yet, but, knowing the work of the director and his vision, it should work like gangbuster. The songs works well with Cliff's score though I feel that integrating it into the score would have been a much better move. Favorite songs are College's "A Real Hero" and Riz Ortolani's rich "Oh My Love".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote

Not bad. The electronic scoring of this kind makes me feel nostalgic for the 80s, being a child and growing up in that era. I haven't seen the movie yet, but, knowing the work of the director and his vision, it should work like gangbuster. The songs works well with Cliff's score though I feel that integrating it into the score would have been a much better move. Favorite song is "A Real Hero".

I got this recently, and absolutely adore it! It's EXACTLY this kind of ambient textures with the occasional groove that I'm looking for these days. The indiepop/electronica songs in the beginning are so-so, though. Not really my cuppa tea, but not bad.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

Not bad. The electronic scoring of this kind makes me feel nostalgic for the 80s, being a child and growing up in that era. I haven't seen the movie yet, but, knowing the work of the director and his vision, it should work like gangbuster. The songs works well with Cliff's score though I feel that integrating it into the score would have been a much better move. Favorite song is "A Real Hero".

I got this recently, and absolutely adore it! It's EXACTLY this kind of ambient textures with the occasional groove that I'm looking for these days. The indiepop/electronica songs in the beginning are so-so, though. Not really my cuppa tea, but not bad.

The ambient soundscapes are great for listening at work. I don't mind the songs, because they kinda fit, tonally, and a few of those tracks are pretty good on their own merit.
  5. lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

There are a some really meaty and angry bits of scoring in there. I only wish that there were MORE of it through out.

The album is just about long enough for these ears.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLADERUNNER - Vangelis

Arguably the best synth score written for a film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

In my not-so-humble opinion, it IS! There's BLADE RUNNER, and then there's everyone else.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Brilliant is brilliant no matter how you state it! Giving The Rocketeer 5 stars doesn't diminish Krull's quality. Again, let The Rocketeer stand on it's own. The Rocketeer isn't Krull and nor should it be.

-Erik-

but for me there's a difference no matter what, and that's why I rate it differently. Of course ratings are personal impressions, so we all differ on that.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. DreamTheater wrote

strange how your impression changed on this eh? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Gears of War 3 - Steve Jablonsky(!)

I guess I can hear where all his creativity went into. For the second time, his work for the Gears of War game trump the quality heard in TF2 and TF3. I still like Kevin Riepl's energetic and aggressive score for the original game, but Steve has clearly a deft hand at doing this kind of thing.
  8. Like GOW2 a lot, a continuation of the first Transformers, with some ballsy action and a truly enjoyable theme.

BTW Check out this 10 minute suite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klk7FcF0BCg

Lovin it ! punk
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

strange how your impression changed on this eh? wink

Well yeah... I appreciate it more than the first time I simply said 'meh'...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    Like GOW2 a lot, a continuation of the first Transformers, with some ballsy action and a truly enjoyable theme.

BTW Check out this 10 minute suite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klk7FcF0BCg

Lovin it ! punk

I definitely like his Gears of War stuff over his TF sequel scores.
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE ROCKETEER - JAMES HORNER

I remember giving this album 4 stars many years ago, however now I have to say this is 5 easily, because it's pure orchestral Horner fun from beginning to end, which we simply don't hear anymore, featuring some of his greatest themes ("Jenny" is bloody beautiful). Even the two Cole Porter songs are great.

So in the end I have to say, bro, you should really add one more star in your review. wink

I know, and somehow it deserves this (especially considering the crud of today). But I must see the total picture. The Rocketeer is bloody brilliant, but Krull (amongst others) is even more brilliant. And that explains the miss of a star.

Brilliant is brilliant no matter how you state it! Giving The Rocketeer 5 stars doesn't diminish Krull's quality. Again, let The Rocketeer stand on it's own. The Rocketeer isn't Krull and nor should it be.

-Erik-

From my own experience, I find that I need to check my rated reviews with one another. A rating is more to do with my enjoyment of a score rather than the quality of the music (I am no musician and can only try to rate something by the way it feels, or how it sounds, etc). I would rate Krull above The Rocketeer because I enjoy the style and the music more in Krull than in the other score. And if a third score were to come along, I would give it a score and then see how that score fitted in with Krull and The Rocketeer. If I liked this third score less than the latter score but it had been given a score that was higher I would have to consider again whether the rating for this third score was consistent.

But, at the same time, within each rating point there will be a spread of likeability.

That's one of the good things about this site where everyone is able to rate a score - it eventually reaches an average rating that may better reflect the general opinion of a score. Perhaps the rating list that we have here should reflect these average scores rather than a reviewer's own scoring?

(I apologise if I have already said this somewhere.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

but for me there's a difference no matter what, and that's why I rate it differently. Of course ratings are personal impressions, so we all differ on that.

I'll settle this.

The Rocketeer has one of the greatest themes I've ever heard. The opening and closing tracks of the score are wonderful, even if they are essentially the same. "The Flying Circus" is also great, as is "Jenny". There are a few other good tracks on the album, but they're not as good as those four. Then there are 15 minutes of sheer boredom in the middle, otherwise known as "Neville Sinclair's House" and "Rendezvous at Griffith Park Observatory", that totally ruin the ride. Minus those tracks, I would say this is a 5 star album. With them...

4 stars.

Thus saith The Chris.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011
    Filmmusik (Björn Isfält)

I don't seem to like any of the selections much, even though he's supposed to be one of the biggest swedish film score composers. All the tracks are pretty and nice sounding, but they don't really touch me. This is quite unlike the Filmmusik compilation with music by Stefan Nilsson where I worship every single track.

Ah, well, perhaps it will grow on me.

Peter smile
  12. plindboe wrote
    Filmmusik (Björn Isfält)

I don't seem to like any of the selections much, even though he's supposed to be one of the biggest swedish film score composers. All the tracks are pretty and nice sounding, but they don't really touch me. This is quite unlike the Filmmusik compilation with music by Stefan Nilsson where I worship every single track.

Ah, well, perhaps it will grow on me.

Peter smile

I have both of these compilations and I also prefer the Stefan Nilsson set of tracks. I haven't listened to any of the Isfält tracks in years and have no desire to try them again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    I'll settle this.

The Rocketeer has one of the greatest themes I've ever heard. The opening and closing tracks of the score are wonderful, even if they are essentially the same. "The Flying Circus" is also great, as is "Jenny". There are a few other good tracks on the album, but they're not as good as those four. Then there are 15 minutes of sheer boredom in the middle, otherwise known as "Neville Sinclair's House" and "Rendezvous at Griffith Park Observatory", that totally ruin the ride. Minus those tracks, I would say this is a 5 star album. With them...

4 stars.

Thus saith The Chris.

Please allow me to assist you with your problem

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

In my not-so-humble opinion, it IS! There's BLADE RUNNER, and then there's everyone else.

For a second there I thought we were going to argue then I realised there's nothing to argue about! wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have both of these compilations and I also prefer the Stefan Nilsson set of tracks. I haven't listened to any of the Isfält tracks in years and have no desire to try them again.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

This release is wonderful indeed. Love the recording and remastered mix.
    Yet another gem from the year that was 1979. A year filled with brilliant scores! cool