• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Finally the second part of this little positive thread and I can start with what happened yesterday.

For a long time I was frustrated that I couldn't listen to my CDs in my room, but a while ago my dad reminded me of an old unused hi-fi system we have and an old no more used DVD player (which of course plays CDs too). So I had that set up. While setting up the DVD we opened the tray to see what's there and lo and behold - a DVD of Kingdom of Heaven's Director's Cut which I've been looking for for at least 2 years was in. I thought it was lost forever, didn't know where to look for it. Today I took the opportunity to rewatch the movie, first time in a long while.

Then came my aunt who is a professional and awarded costume designer here in Poland (and did some movies co-produced with Germany, because her German is really very good). Among hearing some nice stuff and some that brought reflection, she returned me an old script I got her to read (yeah, film script, she read quite a few of them as a costume designer, right?). Back in the days, she praised (and so did her mom, who's a retired dentist in the tender age of 90) the structure. I re-read the script just as I got it (hey, haven't read it it for some 6-7 years) and I realized it's quite good.

Right now got my laptop connected to the hi-fi as well, so even cooler smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011
    That sounds like a great day Pawel! Exciting news all around. You are very talented indeed.
  2. This made me laugh: a motorist with 39 penalty points and still driving:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-13277186
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011
    That's all nice news Pawel! What was the first score through the speakers? tongue
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011
    I just got on national radio to talk about the forest fires around my area. Strangely however it followed right after the Bin Laden story. Mass murdering fuckhead who got a Megatron style funeral to small town forest fire.

Nice priorities 5 Live!
  3. Bregt wrote
    That's all nice news Pawel! What was the first score through the speakers? tongue

Broken Arrow biggrin The La-La release.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011
    Just read that Kate Bush is working on a new album, which is superb news (for Tim and I at the very least)!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13280256
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Just read that Kate Bush is working on a new album, which is superb news (for Tim and I at the very least)!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13280256

Yes, for Lee, Me and other people with good taste wink beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I remember I used to listen to one particular Kate Bush album quite often in my youth, the one with 'Babooshka' on it. Can't remember the name. Since those days I haven't listened to any Kate Bush songs, except for that hit. And I doubt I ever will again.

Guess my taste isn't as good as it used to be... sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    I remember I used to listen to one particular Kate Bush album quite often in my youth, the one with 'Babooshka' on it. Can't remember the name. Since those days I haven't listened to any Kate Bush songs, except for that hit. And I doubt I ever will again.

Guess my taste isn't as good as it used to be... sad

That album is Never For Ever.

Kate Bush is unique, innovative, influential, a true original.

If I was asked who my top 5 greatest British musicians were ( no, I know, nobody is asking slant wink ) they would be...

Ralph Vaughan Williams
    John Barry
    Barry Gray
    Mike Oldfield
    Kate Bush
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I'm going to ask you a question you never expected:

What is your top 5 of greatest British musicians?

No wait... scratch that... that's a stupid question...

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    African or European?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was once in charge of organising a pub quiz, an annual event in Bristol for people in my industry (organising it was the prize for having won the previous year!) Essentially a pub crawl, with four or five different quizzes or challenges in each pub.

Anyway, the point of this is that one of the rounds I wrote was called "Which Bush?" and you had to state, for a series of quotes, whether they had been said by George W Bush or Kate Bush or neither.
  6. Timmer wrote
    African or European?

Now you know if I answer you on that one, something horrible will happen, like blowing up the forum. freezing
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011
    possibly devil
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I was once in charge of organising a pub quiz, an annual event in Bristol for people in my industry (organising it was the prize for having won the previous year!) Essentially a pub crawl, with four or five different quizzes or challenges in each pub.

Anyway, the point of this is that one of the rounds I wrote was called "Which Bush?" and you had to state, for a series of quotes, whether they had been said by George W Bush or Kate Bush or neither.

I like it! biggrin
  7. Going to go see brainless smash hit 'Fast Five' tomorrow, and Slipstream at home just makes me a bit happier than normal. I just want to hear Elmer's rousing score in the context of the film. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only saw SLIPSTREAM once, I don't remember it being very good but I'll be interested to hear your view?

despite your, mostly, appalling taste in films tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011 edited
    Haha, Slipstream was an interesting film.
    Did any of you guys ever see Valhalla Rising?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nope! What's it about?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJMVeJ7KLw
    Looks like a very interesting Viking film. The only way I can see it is ordering it off Amazon. I was disappointed there was no theatrical release in the US, though not really surprised. I enjoyed Bronson, I like Mads, and I love Vikings. I believe it was all shot in the Highlands as well.
  8. Timmer wrote
    I only saw SLIPSTREAM once, I don't remember it being very good but I'll be interested to hear your view?

despite your, mostly, appalling taste in films tongue wink

For all I know I will hate it, that will show you once and for all I have exquisite taste in films.

But if I like it, well then you'll know what you said is true. And then we'll both be happy. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011
    omaha wrote
    Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJMVeJ7KLw
    Looks like a very interesting Viking film. The only way I can see it is ordering it off Amazon. I was disappointed there was no theatrical release in the US, though not really surprised. I enjoyed Bronson, I like Mads, and I love Vikings. I believe it was all shot in the Highlands as well.

It's a really bad film, IMO. Pretentious, overblown and arty without any style or sense of direction. It meanders on, slowly and gratingly "artsy-fartsy". Even though there are small bits and pieces that work reasonably well. The first 30 minutes aren't so bad.

Too bad. It's quite unbelieveable. There still doesn't exist ONE SINGLE good viking film that actually takes the history seriously.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011 edited
    Thanks Thor. That is sad news. I heard it was too pretentious, and you just reinforced that. Well, thank you for saving me some time and money. I agree on the lack of a great Viking film. Even though the movie is by no means great, the 13th Warrior is the only one I return too. It is definitely the score that does it though. I got excited when Mel Gibson was thinking of doing a historical Viking film where they would speak Old Norse. Don't really see that happening though, at least not in the near future. Dang it Mel!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011 edited
    omaha wrote
    Thanks Thor. That is sad news. I heard it was too pretentious, and you just reinforced that. Well, thank you for saving me some time and money. I agree on the lack of a great Viking film. Even though the movie is by no means great, the 13th Warrior is the only one I return too. It is definitely the score that does it though. I got excited when Mel Gibson was thinking of doing a historical Viking film where they would speak Old Norse. Don't really see that happening though, at least not in the near future. Dang it Mel!

13TH WARRIOR is a moderately entertaining romp, but by no means a credible viking film!

I was excited about the Gibson viking project too, especially considering how well he did on PASSION OF THE CHRIST; even retaining the original language. But with all the hooplah that's followed him recently, I guess no one wants to touch his stuff.

Incidentally, the Norwegian family film SIGURD DRAKEDREPER (THE LITTLEST VIKING) is one of the better viking films I've seen, but even that has its flaws.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. It's haggis, neeps and tatties tonight. Making preparations by having a wee dram. lick

Too posh!

Too reserved!

Just right! (Though still doesn't look too appetising, but tastes great.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011
    "Just right" is no haggis!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011
    yeah biggrin
  10. Damn! I just got that remark. All I can say is don't knock it until you've tried it.

If ever any of you are in North Wales I know what I will be serving up! Haggis, neeps and tatties followed by cranachan.

But don't let that put you off!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011
    I would very much like to try it! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...