• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. For a free preview visit: www.deutschegrammophon.com/eplayer/youthwithoutyouth

ORIGINAL SCORE BY OSVALDO GOLIJOV
    YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH

OSVALDO GOLIJOV COLLABORATES WITH FILM LEGEND FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA ON THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK.
    TO BE RELEASED ON DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON ON DECEMBER 11TH.

(November 14, 2007) Critically acclaimed composer, Osvaldo Golijov has joined forces with one of the world’s most talented directors, Francis Ford Coppola to create a mesmerizing and captivating score to the film, Youth Without Youth which is releasing on Deutsche Grammophon on December 11th.

The score was recorded in Bucharest by the Bucharest Metropolitan Orchestra, young and enthusiastic musicians, conducted by Radu Popa. Francis Ford Coppola and Osvaldo Golijov were present during the entire recording phase, and Deutsche Grammophon has also included a 10-minute documentary on the soundtrack recording that will be available on DVD and included in the press kit. It conveys, directly and emotionally, the uniqueness and beauty of this project.

The film stars British actor Tim Roth, Romanian actress Alexandra Maria Lara, and Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, and was written, produced and directed by Coppola, marking his return to personal filmmaking. The screenplay is adapted from a novella by the controversial Romanian fiction writer, philosopher and religious historian Mircea Eliade. The soundtrack will serve as a powerful tool for spreading Golijov’s name beyond art-house and concert audiences.

Coppola decided to work with Osvaldo Golijov, who has been called, “the composer of the moment” (Boston Globe) and remained closely involved in the process of creating the soundtrack. Featuring a beautiful, nostalgic melody that permeates the entire film, Golijov’s score displays all the characteristics for which he has been praised (“…thoughtful and instinctive, esoteric and accessible, unfailingly haunting and stimulating” – Gramophone) while also revealing a new facet of his art.

The soundtrack is Golijov’s fourth recording on Deutsche Grammophon. It follows Oceana which the Chicago Tribune hails “irresistible” and which has remained on the Classic Music charts for the past seventeen weeks. Golijov’s opera, Ainadamar was released in 2006 and the two-time Grammy award winning, Ayre, was his DG debut.

Youth Without Youth releases in select theaters on December 14th will continue to release nationwide in the weeks following.

###

For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com
  2. Can't wait for this to arrive. I'll be listening to Golijov's OCEANA this morning.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Looking forward to your comments Michael, this has been the biggest surprise for me this year!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Really looking forward to this one. If funds were greater I'm sure I'd have it already, but I'll buy it before long. Looking forward to the film too, though with reservations; it doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea, even though Coppola (specifically his 70s stuff) is the director who really turned me into loving film in the first place.