• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A new review:

Que d'Amour! - Philippe Jakko

http://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2014/11/ … ppe-jakko/

If you like your music in the baroque style - or good film music in general.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. A new review:

Farfars Fabrik - Erik Väpnargård

http://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2014/11/ … apnargard/

A great little synth score from a Swedish high school teacher who loves collecting and restoring analogue and early digital synths from the 1970s and 1980s - and uses them to great effect in this score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    A new review:

Under The Skin - Mica Levi

http://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2014/11/ … mica-levi/

I loved it - hence I do tend to go on a bit in the review!

Looks like Levi is bringing this to LA in the New Year: playing her score live to picture! That would be good.
  4. How the heck do you play a score like that live? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014
    The same way DJs make a living I suppose.
  5. The moment you've all been waiting for...the 2014 Reel Music Awards nominations have been posted on my blog:

https://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2015/01 … minations/

Follow the link to see all the titles in the running for this coveted award.

Results will be announced on Monday, 26th January 2015.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015
    How could you forget to include [insert score here] and yet you chose [insert another score here]!?

Jerk!
  6. Steven wrote
    How could you forget to include [insert score here] and yet you chose [insert another score here]!?

Jerk!

Steven's set up a helpful time-saving template for people to use for any correspondence related to my choices and omissions in my awards selections.
    wink
  7. This is great, Alan. I always appreciate lists like this from you because you always make me aware of a bunch of music I've never even heard of. Now I have even more catching up to do. I was really happy to see someone else who enjoyed Bi Küçük Eylül Meselesi. I think that score is just great. In fact I REALLY like every score you nominated in the drama category that I've heard, which makes me very excited to hear the rest of them. I also appreciate that you have a list of your favorite individual cues. I'll enjoy playing through those as well.

I just gave TIDSREJSEN a listen. I'm afraid I didn't find much in it for me, but I will say that Flemming Nordkrog is the coolest composer name ever.
  8. Steven wrote

Jerk!

I hate to fall into this trap, but I find it something akin to mindboggling that you found ten animated scores this year that you thought were better than How to Train Your Dragon 2. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    This is great, Alan. I always appreciate lists like this from you because you always make me aware of a bunch of music I've never even heard of. Now I have even more catching up to do. I was really happy to see someone else who enjoyed Bi Küçük Eylül Meselesi. I think that score is just great. In fact I REALLY like every score you nominated in the drama category that I've heard, which makes me very excited to hear the rest of them. I also appreciate that you have a list of your favorite individual cues. I'll enjoy playing through those as well.

I just gave TIDSREJSEN a listen. I'm afraid I didn't find much in it for me, but I will say that Flemming Nordkrog is the coolest composer name ever.

To non-Scandi people, perhaps. To us, however, it's about the most average Danish name you can think of! smile

Curious about the score, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In other news, I find it a bit odd that every film music website seems to do their own "awards" these days rather than just list their favourites or 'best ofs'. Are we seeing a watering-out of the 'award' term these days (since I assume that for most of these sites, there is no actual award, much less a ceremony)?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    In other news, I find it a bit odd that every film music website seems to do their own "awards" these days rather than just list their favourites or 'best ofs'. Are we seeing a watering-out of the 'award' term these days (since I assume that for most of these sites, there is no actual award, much less a ceremony)?

We're an odd bunch - or haven't you noticed?

These lists are just favourites and best of lists. I didn't think anyone would possibly have confused them with the "proper" awards. But, I hadn't realised that any definition of "awards" included some sort of physical representation of the award or some sort of gathering.

I'd hire a local room somewhere and have some pieces of metal/glass/plastic if I thought that anyone would want to come, particularly nominated composers. But I would imagine that this ceremony would be even more boring that the usual award ceremonies as people would tire of constantly hearing the phrase, "I'm sorry but [insert winner's name here] can't be with us tonight. Here to accept the award on his/her behalf is my mate [insert name of one of my friends]."

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015 edited
    He, he. Yeah, I know, but what I find a bit funny is when nominated composers for these website "awards" post on facebook as if they had been PROPER awards, and then their friends REACT as if they were proper awards too. That always cracks me up a bit ("hey, I've been nominated for best thriller soundtrack in the JungleMonkeySoundTrax.net Awards!") -- but also makes me a bit worried for what will happen when ACTUAL awards are announced (whether IFMCA or even more high-profile).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I see what you mean.

But in my experience, the composers who are nominated in my "awards" are genuinely pleased to receive the recognition. Not because of the fact that they get to dress up in a tuxedo (or dress) and have a slap-up meal with the chance to end the evening with a "gong", but because someone has taken the trouble to acknowledge their work.

For a lot of composers who give me feedback, they are appreciative of the fact that there are people out there who enjoy the music they spend creating. The appearance in my lists are thanks enough for their efforts.

For any composer who visits my site and thinks that the awards are anything more than a fan highlighting some scores (and composers) who have brought particular pleasure to the listener, needs their head examined.

As far as their friends reacting to the recognition, I would imagine that they have a better idea than me (or perhaps even us) of the trials and tribulations these composers go through day-to-day and the (some would say) disproportionate response of their friends is an insight into how any recognition is of value to the composer(s). Particularly the composers who are not as well known and who just do their job with minimal exposure.

I feel quite strongly about this - and the genuine appreciation I get is a major incentive to keep my blog ticking over.

BTW, I think my own blog awards lists have very little bearing on the upcoming IFMCA awards announcements (or the Oscars for that matter.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I'm totally with you regarding the recognition. I only have a "problem" (if you could call it that) with using the term 'awards' (and organizing it AS an actual award thing), since that has a very specific meaning to me. In my own program, for example, I use a regular "Top 10"-type list -- which does the same job as far as recognition is concerned, really, but which doesn't purport to be more than it is.

Oh well, just a minor "pet peeve". Yours was just the last in a long line of film music websites that do this thing, hence I felt there was a trend going on. Didn't mean to divert attention from your selections of the year!
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Thor wrote
    Oh well, just a minor "pet peeve". Yours was just the last in a long line of film music websites that do this thing, hence I felt there was a trend going on. Didn't mean to divert attention from your selections of the year!

No problem.

If you have a specific meaning for "awards" I can see how the use of the term by anyone with a blog or site could be rather irksome.
  12. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote

To non-Scandi people, perhaps. To us, however, it's about the most average Danish name you can think of! smile

Yeah, I figured that smile. Where I live if somebody moved in with a name like Thor they would be instantly popular. You guys just have cool names.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But in my experience, the composers who are nominated in my "awards" are genuinely pleased to receive the recognition.

yeah

'nuff said!

-Erik=
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, at least you and I are keeping to the old "Top list" format, Erik -- even if you apparently have less of a problem with the usage of the 'award' term than I have.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    Well, at least you and I are keeping to the old "Top list" format, Erik -- even if you apparently have less of a problem with the usage of the 'award' term than I have.

You do have a talent to conjure "problems" out of thin air, don't you, Thor? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    "hey, I've been nominated for best thriller soundtrack in the JungleMonkeySoundTrax.net Awards!"

biggrin

I'd be chuffed with this...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

You do have a talent to conjure "problems" out of thin air, don't you, Thor? wink

Not really. It's the first time I've noticed so many film music websites launching their own private 'awards' which aren't really awards. Not sure what spurred the trend (it certainly cannot be thin air), but there you go. Or maybe it's been this way for many years already, and I'm just noticing now.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. FalkirkBairn wrote
    A new review:

Que d'Amour! - Philippe Jakko

http://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2014/11/ … ppe-jakko/

If you like your music in the baroque style - or good film music in general.

I finally got around to this one. I thought it was quite good. Jakko does very well mimicking Vivaldi and Delerue (and even gives them credit in the track title!). It was a very pleasant score.
  15. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Not really. It's the first time I've noticed so many film music websites launching their own private 'awards' which aren't really awards. Not sure what spurred the trend (it certainly cannot be thin air), but there you go. Or maybe it's been this way for many years already, and I'm just noticing now.

As far as I'm concerned, an award is when someone - be it an individual or a voting body - acknowledges something as being of outstanding merit in its field. That stretches all the way from the Oscars down to things like Alan's blog. Whether there's a fancy ceremony involved or some pieces of metal and plastic exchanged or even if whoever wins is aware that they are winning something doesn't have any impact on whether it's an award or not, IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

As far as I'm concerned, an award is when someone - be it an individual or a voting body - acknowledges something as being of outstanding merit in its field. That stretches all the way from the Oscars down to things like Alan's blog. Whether there's a fancy ceremony involved or some pieces of metal and plastic exchanged or even if whoever wins is aware that they are winning something doesn't have any impact on whether it's an award or not, IMO.

According to Miriam-Webster:

2award noun
    : something (such as a prize) that is given to someone or something for being excellent or for doing something that is admired

In other words, it must -- the way I and most dictionaries define it -- include some sort of object or prize.

Now, I'm sure we can split hairs all day long about definitions, but that's the way it is and will always be for me. You can award someone recognition, but you cannot GIVE someone an award unless there is -- you know -- an actual award to give.

Moreoever, these "awards" are organized as if there were an upcoming award CEREMONY as well (through nomination rounds and what-have-you). I just find it an extremely curious trend.

But maybe this is better suited for a separate thread rather than Alan's.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. But the prize is merely symbolic. What really matters is the recognition, and while obviously something like an Oscar or a Golden Globe carries more weight than a blog (no offense, Alan!) or even the IFMCA, recognition is recognition no matter what.

At Tracksounds we call them "awards" too, but at least there we manage get the odd composer to come and "accept" their prize - even though there is no prize. Would that count under your criteria?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    (...) or even the IFMCA (...)

oops, someone's bottom hurts, or something?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But the prize is merely symbolic. What really matters is the recognition, and while obviously something like an Oscar or a Golden Globe carries more weight than a blog (no offense, Alan!) or even the IFMCA, recognition is recognition no matter what.

At Tracksounds we call them "awards" too, but at least there we manage get the odd composer to come and "accept" their prize - even though there is no prize. Would that count under your criteria?

Not really, no.

Many of you seem to equate 'recognition' with 'award'. This is not it. Recognition can come in any given form, an award can only come in actual, physical award form -- usually presented during some form of ceremony. Doesn't matter if the prize is symbolic or not; it's still a prize.

Of course, one can choose to bend the definitions any which way one wants, just as I can choose to call a pig a horse. But in the long run, it would undoubtedly lead to misunderstandings.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    (...) or even the IFMCA (...)

oops, someone's bottom hurts, or something?

Huh? confused

I don't think it's that much of a stretch or an insult to say that an Oscar is a "bigger deal" than an IFMCA award. 'Course, if I was a composer, I'd be happier winning the latter than the former!