• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm looking for an app that I can use so that I cab take my database of soundtracks around with me.

An app called "Memento" seems it could be a good one to use but the barcode scanner doesn't work on it and so it can't find anything on Google Base.

Any suggestions from positive experiences?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I'm just wondering if there is any need to monitor how much RAM my phone is using. I've read that unused RAM is "wasted RAM". I recently downloaded an app - Clean Master - which allows me to claw back ("recycle") and reduce the amount of RAM my phone uses. It's usually up at around 85-90% of total RAM and now that this app had put a figure on it I feel a bit obsessed at always trying to reduce the level.

But I also wonder if apps such as this add to the strain put on the phone.

Not a big issue, but I was just wondering if trying to monitor RAM use using this app is just a waste of time. I've also read that Android phones are able to manage this sort of thing and there no need for this app (though it does also clear the cache too.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm just wondering if there is any need to monitor how much RAM my phone is using. I've read that unused RAM is "wasted RAM". I recently downloaded an app - Clean Master - which allows me to claw back ("recycle") and reduce the amount of RAM my phone uses. It's usually up at around 85-90% of total RAM and now that this app had put a figure on it I feel a bit obsessed at always trying to reduce the level.

But I also wonder if apps such as this add to the strain put on the phone.

Not a big issue, but I was just wondering if trying to monitor RAM use using this app is just a waste of time. I've also read that Android phones are able to manage this sort of thing and there no need for this app (though it does also clear the cache too.)

Don't monitor the RAM unless you're experiencing a large amount of LAG. Tell me more about your device.
    Model> HTC? SONY? SAMSUNG? LG?
    Android version> KK? JB? ICS?
  3. HTC One S (Android version 4.1.1 - whatever that is)

I'm not too bothered about this; the phone is working fine. And my plan comes to an end in the middle of June so 'upgrade time' is looming. Though the new breed of phones seem to be getting so big that they're not really phones anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    HTC One S (Android version 4.1.1 - whatever that is)

I'm not too bothered about this; the phone is working fine. And my plan comes to an end in the middle of June so 'upgrade time' is looming. Though the new breed of phones seem to be getting so big that they're not really phones anymore.

You're on Jelly Bean, It's unfortunate that the One S isn't getting the upgrade to 4.3 or, much less so, the current 4.4 release. HTC's Sense does have a bit of a problem of getting laggy after a year of operation. I haven't used it in a couple years now, but have always liked some of the look and feel of the skin. Are you rooted? You could always root and then try AOSP?

FWIW, you want unused RAM, as many as you can, especially on skinned Android.

Have you heard of an app called "Greenify"?
  4. I'm not versed enough in the "under the bonnet" workings of my phone so I am not rooted. I have come across the Greenify app but have always felt that I am not that inconvenienced enough by any lag on my phone to go and start tinkering too much with the workings of the phone - which Greenify seems to do.

What's really annoying with Android phones is that they come preloaded with a lot of apps that are big resource hoggers and there's no real way (for an amateur user) to free up that space by uninstalling them.

But, as I say, it's no big deal and thanks for your comments. I was just talking out loud about the RAM issue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not versed enough in the "under the bonnet" workings of my phone so I am not rooted. I have come across the Greenify app but have always felt that I am not that inconvenienced enough by any lag on my phone to go and start tinkering too much with the workings of the phone - which Greenify seems to do.

What's really annoying with Android phones is that they come preloaded with a lot of apps that are big resource hoggers and there's no real way (for an amateur user) to free up that space by uninstalling them.

But, as I say, it's no big deal and thanks for your comments. I was just talking out loud about the RAM issue.

No problemo. I'm a big fan of greenify because it is very easy to deal with, especially for noobs.....

Which phone are you interested in getting?
  5. No idea at present. Would like to keep to HTC if I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No idea at present. Would like to keep to HTC if I can.

I'm a big fan of the HTC One from last year. They'll be announcing a new version next week, though, given that it'll be a bigger device, I'm not sure you'll be interested.