• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011 edited
    I started this little celebration of my 14th anniversary back in March. I haven't updated the countdown as frequently as I would have liked to but I'm still plugging away and would like to get to number one as soon as possible... hopefully before my 15th anniversary this coming September. wink

I've been posting updates concerning the countdown of the top 14 re-recordings of all time in my regular Cinematic Sound thread but looking at my stats these special shows are getting lost in the shuffle. So, I hope you don't mind me starting up another thread expressly for this special countdown, which I'm having a blast producing.

----

The Cinematic Sound Radio Show turned 14 years old back in September of 2010. Better late than never we are proud to present our 14th Anniversary Special featuring 14 (actually 15) of my personal favorite re-recordings of all time. This are albums that I reach for when I want to hear the very best in re-recorded film scores whether being a complete re-recording of a classic score or a compilation album featuring a variety of themes from various composers. Over the course of the next few weeks (maybe months – hopefully not years) we will be uploading one new audio file containing a review of the album and an extended suite of music from that album. With that, happy listening and enjoy the countdown. Visit the 14th Anniversary archive page at http://www.cinematicsound.net/?page_id=643

#14 (TIE) | On The Waterfront | Panorama | Leonard Bernstein | Israel Philharmonic Orchestra

Our number 14 re-recording of all time (tied with Miklos Rozsa’s EL CID) is Leonard Bernstein’s only film score to the classic film ON THE WATERFRONT (1954) recorded by the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by the composer. This suite is available on the 2CD compilation album called PANORAMA released by Deutsche Grammophon. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=654

#14 (TIE) | El Cid | Miklos Rozsa | Nic Raine cond. The City of Prague Philharmonic

Our number 14 re-recording of all time (tied with Leonard Bernstein’s ON THE WATERFRONT) is Miklos Rozsa’s classic score to EL CID (1961) recorded by the City of Prague Philharmonic conducted by Nic Raine. This special collectors limited edition 3CD set was produced by James Fitzpatrick for Tadlow Records. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=715

#13 | Frontiers | Jerry Goldsmith | The Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Our lucky number 13 re-recording of all time is Jerry Goldsmith’s science-fiction compilation album FRONTIERS (1997) featuring music from LOGAN’S RUN, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, DAMNATION ALLEY, STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE and more. The music was performed by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by the composer. The album was produced for Varese Sarabande Records by Robert Townson. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=787

#12 | The Star Wars Trilogy | John Williams | Varujan Kojian cond. The Utah Symphony Orchestra

Our number 12 re-recording of all time is THE STAR WARS TRILOGY featuring music from STAR WARS, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI composed by John Williams. The music was performed by the Utah Symphony Orchestra conducted by Varujan Kojian. The album was produced for That’s Entertainment Records and Varese Sarabande Records by George Korngold. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=940

#11 | The Film Scores | Bernard Herrmann | Esa-Pekka Salonan cond. The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra

Our number 11 re-recording of all time is THE FILM SCORES (2005) featuring music from THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, PSYCHO and TAXI DRIVER composed by Bernard Herrmann. The music was performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen. The album was produced for Sony Classical by David Mottley. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=955

#10 | Miklos Rozsa Conducts His Great Film Music | Miklos Rozsa | The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Our number 10 re-recording of all time is Miklos Rozsa compilation album MIKLOS ROZSA CONDUCTS HIS GREAT FILM MUSIC (1975) featuring music from THE NAKED CITY, KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, DIANE, YOUNG BESS and more. The music was performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by the composer. The album was produced for Polydor by Brian Culverhouse. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=906

NEW - #9 | Quo Vadis | Miklos Rozsa | The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus

Our number 9 re-recording of all time is Miklos Rozsa’s QUO VADIS (1950.) The music was performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus conducted by the composer. The album was produced for Decca Phase 4 by Ray Few and has been recently re-released on Dutton Vocalion Records coupled with Rozsa’s re-recording of Ben-Hur with the National Philharmonic Orchestra. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1082

#8 Coming Soon...

Thanks for tuning in and enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011
    I am Martijn and I approve of the new number 9.
    smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I approve of #11
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    10 is frigging excellent as well. One of Rozsa's best recordings.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011
    I just recently received pristine LP to CD copies of the other two Rozsa/Royal Philhoarminc albums. Wow! I hope someday one of the major film music labels gives these superb albums the lavish CD treatment they deserve.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011
    The number 10 sports a GREAT suite from The Thief Of Bagdad.
    I'm so glad my dad bought the album way back when. I have made a CD copy myself now.
    Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011
    El Cid and Quo Vadis are friggin amazing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011 edited
    UPDATE: July 30, 2011

#8 | Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone | Ennio Morricone cond. the Roma Sinfonietta Orchestra

Our number 8 re-recording of all time is Ennio Morricone’s YO-YO MA PLAYS ENNIO MORRICONE (2004) featuring original cello and orchestra arrangements from such films as THE MISSION, CINEMA PARADISO, THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA and many others. The music was performed by Yo-Yo Ma (cello) and the Roma Sinfonietta Orchestra conducted by the composer. The album was produced for Sony Classical by Ennio Morricone. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1122

www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | https://twitter.com/#!/cinsoundradio

Enjoy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011
    Yeap very very good too although on cd as a whole, gets a bit tiring listening to the same cello solo for such a long timE. But as an isolated tracks' listening sessions, or 2-3 cues per time, it's splendid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011 edited
    I don't know what you mean by "the same cello solo for such a long time?" I think album is varied, creative, and Morricone did a brilliant job of utilizing the cello as both the melodic lead and an orchestral accent! At 56 minute it's a perfect listen experience and breezes by.

-Erik-
  1. It's funny, I love hearing the use of cello in film music but I have never warmed to this disc at all - from what little I have heard of it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. That's a great Morricone compilation. Definitely the strongest of his compilations out of the 10-15 I've heard.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011
    I love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't know what you mean by "the same cello solo for such a long time?" I think album is varied, creative, and Morricone did a brilliant job of utilizing the cello as both the melodic lead and an orchestral accent! At 56 minute it's a perfect listen experience and breezes by.

-Erik-

Ma's playing technique (at least for this work) gets quickly repetitive once you're familiar with the way he plays in general, but especially for this very album. And not all cues are orchestrated in the same manner, some incorporate the cello excellently but in others it sounds much on the front, a bit monotonous and / or too loud, standing out much; Like i said, it's brilliant if you choose a couple of cues from the album each time, but as a complete straight listen it can get tiring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    Erik, have you ever heard any of Roland Shaw's albums?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't agree with a word that you said, D. Sorry.

Timmer - Which ones do you recommend?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't agree with a word that you said, D. Sorry.

Timmer - Which ones do you recommend?

-Erik-

I can't find the album to hand right now but Shaw did fantastic covers of Bond themes etc quite often including some of the actual scoring besides the theme songs, he also did covers of themes that were more "obscure" like Our Man Flint, his cover of Peter Gunn is one of the best I've ever heard, I guess he was kind of like an early 1970's Eric Kunzel.

I had most of his LP's and they were brilliant for giving the stereo a work out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'll have to check this out! Thanks!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011 edited
    UPDATE: August 30, 2011

#7 | The Great Fantasy Adventure Album | Erich Kunzel cond. The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Our number 7 re-recording of all time is THE GREAT FANTASY ADVENTURE ALBUM (1994) featuring suites from such films as JURASSIC PARK, ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES, THE ROCKETEER, THE TERMINATOR and many others. The music was performed by the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra conducted by Erich Kunzel. The album was produced for Telarc Records by Robert Woods. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1180

www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | https://twitter.com/#!/cinsoundradio

Enjoy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    UPDATE: August 30, 2011

#7 | The Great Fantasy Adventure Album | Erich Kunzel cond. The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Our number 7 re-recording of all time is THE GREAT FANTASY ADVENTURE ALBUM (1994) featuring suites from such films as JURASSIC PARK, ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES, THE ROCKETEER, THE TERMINATOR and many others. The music was performed by the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra conducted by Erich Kunzel. The album was produced for Telarc Records by Robert Woods. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1180

Enjoy

-Erik-

A great CD, my first exposure to the Kunzel/Cincinatti Pops recordings (the second being the STAR TREK one a couple of years later) and also first exposure to many of the scores within that I would later get the full CD's of.

Interestingly, though, it wasn't I who bought it. It was a guy a few years older than me called Robert who used to come over to our place to play computer games at OUR computer, for some reason. I'm guessing as "payment" for the fact that he fixed my dad's computer problems. Anyways, I think he managed to catch some of my film music interest as I frequently mentioned it and played it for him while I sat next to him in the garage office. My film music interest was really blossoming at the time (1994??), and then he suddenly appeared on our doorstep with this CD one day. I remember making a cassette copy of it, which I played quite frequently.

Anyways, a little personal story to go with that particular album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011
    Thanks for sharing. I was first introduced to this album in my high school music class (in 1994.) My music teacher at the time knew of my love for film music (I did an extensive John Williams presentation for my end of year project) and he kept me after class so that he could spin this album for me… well, it was a cassette copy. Anyway, when the first notes of Rozsa’s El Cid blasted through the speakers I was blown away and became an instant fan of Kunzel and Cincinnati Pops. From their I search high a low for other Kunzel albums… Fantastic Journey, Round Up, Star Track I and II, and so on. I also picked up every single new film music related Kunzel album that would come out including his final recordings Vintage Cinema in 2009.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011
    An excellent CD I've listened to many times. My first experience with Telarc was the 1812 Overture recording. The vibration of the cannon was so strong it lifted the needle from the groove!!!
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011
    UPDATE: September 15, 2011

#6 | The Sea Hawk | Erich Wolfgang Korngold | William Stromberg cond.The Moscow Symphony Orchestra Orchestra & Chorus

Our number 6 re-recording of all time is THE SEA HAWK (1940) featuring Erich Wolfgang Korngold’s complete score reconstructed and re-recorded by John Morgan and William Stromberg. The music was performed by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra and Chorus conducted by William Stromberg. The album is available on Naxos Records. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1251

Enjoy

-Erik-
  3. At the risk of sounding like a troll, what are your thoughts on the Andre Previn LSO Sea Hawk recording? It got raves from classical music magazines when it came out in the late 90s, but is often regarded with great derision by film music afficianados.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011
    I think the sound is absolutely magnificent and the LSO performs the scores well HOWEVER the conducting is atrocious! The tempos are all wrong! Previn recorded arguably the worst rendition of The Sea Hawk main title out there. It's balls numbingly sloooooooooow. And the arrangement of the album doesn't help either.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sea Hawk is good stuff
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Do you agree with my selection of recording?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011
    Yes Yes Yes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011
    that'll be a yes then.