• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Am I the only one left here who is still listening to any kind of music?

Yeah man, all day, like, I'm getting high on the music of the UNIVERSE, man. It's, like, why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? We have a loudspeaker here, and when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of... calms us down.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    Totally felt like some stoner rock after a very hectic week.
    My own Dandy Warhols compilation. As cool as Kim Deal.

I frequently just want silence. No music then. Especially when I am very tired or when I have listened to lots of music in the preceding days.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    The Einaudi piece is almost like a fourth part of Horner's concerto.

I don't know. It is very pretty but, like much of Einaudi, it's music very much based on an endless simple chord progression, which sets it apart. Not a criticism but it's miles from Horner's complexity.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2015
    NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny

If I did a top 50 albums of all time regardless of genre this would be in it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015
    Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto

There is no greater piece of music than this. One of our species' finest achievements, up there with the discovery of evolution and stepping foot on on the moon.

Also, I'm drunk. Portent flows as freely as the wine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...okay, vodka. I'm not quite that classy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto

There is no greater piece of music than this. One of our species' finest achievements, up there with the discovery of evolution and stepping foot on on the moon.

Also, I'm drunk. Portent flows as freely as the wine.

One of "those" moments eh? Good man! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck yes. Provincial worries are put on hold, if only momentarily, for something a little more timely.

More wine!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015
    ...or wodka, as the case may be.

That said, I will need some port myself (in a storm), or I will kill my program director.
    Seriously.
    Small bloody, mutilated pieces all over the work floor.
    Slightly gnawed upon. (What can I say? Port intake always makes me positively peckish).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. The Tempest Tchaikovsky

I listen to this extremely evocative 20 mins piece a lot, really love it. The beginning and end really remind me of Goldenthal's 'Sphere' main titles and 'Symphony in G'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    The Tempest Tchaikovsky

I listen to this extremely evocative 20 mins piece a lot, really love it. The beginning and end really remind me of Goldenthal's 'Sphere' main titles and 'Symphony in G'.

Have you heard Goldenthal's own THE TEMPEST (incidentally nothing like the Tchaikovsky)?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I have, but I can't remember much about it other than finding it a disjointed listen, must give it another go.

I've been really digging into Goldenthal's concert work in the last couple of months and I'm very music enjoying it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    I have, but I can't remember much about it other than finding it a disjointed listen, must give it another go.

I've been really digging into Goldenthal's concert work in the last couple of months and I'm very music enjoying it.

I'm very music enjoying it too! Much, even. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Ha, oops!
  5. NP: Tenement Symphony (1991) - Marc Almond

Nice pop album. The cover version of David McWilliams' "The Days of Pearly Spencer" clearly is the highlight.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015
    THE INEVITABLE END | Röyksopp

I hadn't heard this yet!? shocked
    Very cool again, a bit darker than usual perhaps, and not as outspoken?

Very good music to work at.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015
    Yeah, great album (as the title suggest, it's supposed to be their very last studio album). I've been fortunate to see them live twice. Once as a warm-up to Jarre here in Oslo 4 years ago, and then again this summer during the music festival in my hometown.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Masters of Lights - The Last Crusade (2014) - Jean Philippe Vanbeselaere

I stumbled over this album while idly surfing Tadlow's web site. This CD can be ordered from the composer or through Tadlow, which I did. It is not a Tadlow production though. Mr. Fitzpatrick's involvement was limited to contracting the Prague Philharmonics. The label "Europa Music Productions" doesn't seem to be doing anything really. If I read things correctly, this is very much a self-publishing effort of the composer in order to advertise himself as a composer of film scores.
    Anyhow, this isn't bad. Thing is, that the music is rather simple. The chord progressions often will remind you of pop music. I don't get the medieval connection, and the electric guitar doesn't help here. All in all the music follows trodden paths. Some wannabe film composer has gotten himself a CD production. Oh, well.

EDIT: Upon second listen, my initial judgement was too hard. This album is really nice, despite the electric guitar.

smile Volker
  7. NP: Music of the Spheres (2008) - Mike Oldfield

Mike Oldfield and Karl Jenkins are a musical match made in heaven. This is among the very best, Oldfield has ever done. Brilliant!

Volker
  8. NP: Three Friends (1972) - Gentle Giant

A gem of progressive rock music. That last track sends electricity up and down my spine. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Music of the Spheres (2008) - Mike Oldfield

Mike Oldfield and Karl Jenkins are a musical match made in heaven. This is among the very best, Oldfield has ever done. Brilliant!

Volker

A brilliant album! Melodic, thematic, if this was to a film it would have far more exposure on film music boards.
  9. NP: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1972) - Genesis

Located timeless in time three years after TOMMY and seven years before THE WALL, this is a one of the gems of rock music.

smile Volker
  10. NP: Pictures at an Exhibition - Modest Mussorgsky
    Orchestrated by Maurice Ravel; Berlin Philharmonics, Herbert von Karajan 1966

I own three different recordings of the orchestral version and two of the original piano version plus the ELP version on CD and DVD. I love this piece. love

smile Volker
  11. The 'Ring' Without Words Wagner

In the last few week's I listened to Solti's 'Ring' Cycle, which is terrific but a big time commitment, so this is a fantastic way to quickly experience the brilliant orchestral writing in the 'Ring' in one sitting. I just got this a few days ago on both CD and concert Blu-ray and I can't stop playing them both, I know some people consider the very idea of this to be heresy but I think it's absolutely fantastic!
  12. I'm a big fan of that album. Lorin Maazel also did "Tannhäuser Without Words".

Volker
  13. Cool, just ordered it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2015
    Since I come from such a strong opera family (my mom's cousin Solveig Kringlebotn/Kringleborn is generally considered one of Norway's greatest sopranos), I've tried to embrace the genre -- and once in a while I DO love me an aria or two. But in general, I find it hard to get through whole operas on album (stage is a different thing). So that Wagner album actually sounds up my alley. I've been meaning to check it out for YEARS, but never got around to it.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. I can't recommend it highly enough Thor and if it's the type of thing your into the DVD/Blu-ray of it (Also Conducted by Maazel and performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker but recorded 12 years later) is an absolute joy. You can get them both pretty cheaply:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 … ge_o02_s00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 … ge_o02_s00

Feeling a bit like a salesman!
  15. Symphony No. 8 Vaughan Williams

One of his best in my opinion, beautiful music.
  16. NP: L'apocalypse Des Animaux (1973) - Vangelis

One of the great Greek's finest albums. A deeply spiritual album, progressive and incredibly creative. I know, I am in synch with Thor here. smile

Volker