• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2015
    Very much so. If memory serves, I believe I put it in my Top 50 favourite soundtrack of all time list that we did awhile back. Doesn't get much better than that.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Ein barockes Festkonzert / A Baroque Gala Concert
    A live recording at the Frauenkirche Dresden with Ludwig Güttler and company.

J.S. Bach, Henry and Daniel Purcell, Tommaso Albioni and other greats of the era.

My parents supported the reconstruction of the church in Dresden back then. I remember when the crowning cross was raised, that was manufactured by a British artist, donated by British people and the Royal Family. Today there are multi-fold partnerships between Dresden and Coventry.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: ABBA Gold

Indeed this is golden. love

Volker
  3. NP: Days of Future Passed (1967) - The Moody Blues

What a classic!
  4. Just played Positively 4th Street by Bob Dylan

This came up on the playlist on my way home. Couldn't stop tapping "return" for half an hour. cool
  5. Romeo & Juliet - P. Tchaikovsky

One of the many things I love about Tchaikovsky is that he always knew where to put a cymbal crash.
  6. A brilliant piece of music, think I'll listen to it as soon as I finish:

Symphony No. 5 Beethoven

Hard to even know where to start talking about how good any given Beethoven symphony is, the second movement has got to be some of the most beautiful music ever composed.
  7. NP: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra - Philip Glass

My all time favourite Glass piece.

Volker
  8. NP: Symphony no. 7 - Hans Werner Henze

Modern, abstract symphonic music, with melodic islands. Not for every day, but undeniably great.

smile Volker
  9. NP: The War of the Worlds (CBS, 1938) - H.G. Wells; Howard Koch
    Orson Welles; Joseph Cotton et al.

A magnificent document!

Volker
  10. NP: Oxygene (1976) - Jean Michel Jarre

Yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2015
    Gearing up for the new Jarre album, Volker?
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Actually I was just watching a TV docu about the Berlin House/Techno scene when the wall came down in 1989. I felt the urge to listen again to one of the albums that started it all. Some of these earlier techno tracks sound quite "Jarresque".
  12. NP: Are You Sequenced? (1996) - Klaus Schulze

Schulze's EDM album. Fans (Or should one say disciples?) answered a bit irritated to this turn to the main stream. I think this album is terrific.

Volker
  13. Grand piano.
    Reed and pipe organ.
    Glockenspiel.
    Bass guitar.
    Double-speed guitar.
    Two slightly distorted guitars.
    Mandolin.
    Spanish guitar, and introducing acoustic guitar.
    Plus, tubular bells!

(2003 re-recording)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2015
    It's good but the original is still best.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. The sound of the 2003 one is stellar, but yes, the original features the sound we grew up with.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2015
    It was a truly unique and ground-breaking work, at that time Oldfield was genuinely touched with genius.

Still, it was nice to have a "cover" version. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015
    NP: PAS DE DEUX (James Horner/various)

The Horner piece is fine, but the real highlight is the Arvo Pärt piece. It's amazing, the kind of influence he's had on film music of a certain kind in the last 20 years.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. NP: Living Eyes (1981) - Bee Gees

I'm a big fan of this album, by far my favourite music from the Gibbs. Incidentally this turn from disco disappointed contemporary fans and - by the bands standards - this album was a commercial failure.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Living Eyes (1981) - Bee Gees

I'm a big fan of this album, by far my favourite music from the Gibbs. Incidentally this turn from disco disappointed contemporary fans and - by the bands standards - this album was a commercial failure.

Volker

I've never owned anything by Bee Gees, but I love their music, and they can easily get me on the dance floor. In a similar vein, ABBA's "The Visitors" wasn't the commercial success of their disco music, but it's their ultimate artistic success, IMO (and the only album I own of them) -- foreshadowing what Bjørn and Benny would do on CHESS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2015
    NP: TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION - Elton John

Not what most people would expect from Elton John, this is his best album - during a sadly short period of his career which was actually briliant. Wonderful Americana with influences of soul, gospel and R'n'B. Superb songwriting and arranging.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fine album, but his masterpiece remains GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I do like that album but it marked (for me) the end of his best period.
  16. La Boheme Puccini

Beautiful.
  17. Perhaps an understatement...
  18. NP: Pop & Circumstance - A British Festival

A compilation on the Philips label featuring the traditional program sequence of the second part of The Last Night of the Proms (and a bit more). Various orchestras and conductors.

smile Volker
  19. NP: The Human Equation (2004) - Ayreon

I'm not the biggest fan of this progressive rock project as it leans a bit too much to the metal side of prog for my taste. However there is no denying the great quality of the Ayreon albums. T.H.E. features great songs an multitude of instruments and styles and some sprinkles of Pink Floyd. My favourite Ayreon album.
  20. NP: Kitaro: From Silk Road to Ku Kai (2009)

I found this 10 CD box at a local store and though that 1,50 € per CD were a good deal. There is some film music included in this anthology. This is fine music to play in the background, for example when marking essays. But I can't listen to more than one album at a time.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2015
    Never got the deal with Kitaro, to be honest. Too "Yanni" for me.
    I am extremely serious.