• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Exit (1981) - Tangerine Dream

More main stream than earlier works but very good nonetheless. Those who like Jan Hammer's work for MIAMI VICE might want to check out this album.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: MCMXC a.D. (1990) - Enigma (Michael Cretu)

This album was immensely influential.
  3. NP: Roy Buchanan: Sweet Dreams - The Anthology

Highly recommended, this gem of blues rock.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Roy Buchanan: Sweet Dreams - The Anthology

Highly recommended, this gem of blues rock.

One of the guitar greats.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RATTLE THAT LOCK - David Gilmore

First listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : RATTLE THAT LOCK - David Gilmore

First listen.

Ah, it's out already? Been waiting a long time for this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tis on Spotify right now Thor.
  4. I'll check on that one too.
  5. Die Walküre Wagner

The final 15mins have got to be some of the most beautiful music ever composed, just outstanding!
  6. (Notice the careful wording to avoid a hyperbolic absolute statement, hopefully this won't degenerate into a 2 page aside on drinking wink )
  7. I attended a classical concert with our local philharmonic orchestra. They played:

1. Concert Overture "Le Corsaire" by Hector Berlioz. A wonderful swashbuckling piece that I didn't know so far.
    2. Trumpet Concerto in E flat major by Johann Nepumuk Hummel. Soloist was Norwegian trumpeter Tine Thing Helseth. Delightful.
    3. The second half of the concert featured Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky & Ravel. One of my all time favourite pieces of classical music.

smile Volker
  8. I listened to Mozart's Clarinet Concerto KV 622 this morning and since it's been running in my head. This must be some of the most beautiful music ever written. smile
  9. As a lot of the music I love to listen to is from the 70s I amused myself with creating a playlist featuring one non film music album per year. I know that mathematically correct would be 71-80 but 70-79 appeals more to me. For some years I was torn between two albums, but this it is:

70s Album Playlist

1970: The Moody Blues: A Question of Balance (now playing)
    1971: Led Zeppelin IV
    1972: Ash Ra Tempel: Schwingungen
    1973: Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells
    1974: Tangerine Dream: Phaedra
    1975: Vangelis: Heaven & Hell
    1976: Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination
    1977: Jean-Michel Jarre : Oxygène
    1978: Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds
    1979: Pink Floyd: The Wall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015
    Great playlist Captain beer ( though I've no idea what your 1972 choice is? )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015
    There's so much overlap with own taste there, it's ridiculous.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015
    Thor wrote
    There's so much overlap with own taste there, it's ridiculous.

Indeed! I expect we could put totally different lists just as great.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015
    When I'm in a bad place mentally, I put on Mozart. Spotify makes this very easy. I'm currently listening to a "50 best of" compilation right now. While the first ten or so pieces are basically his greatest hits (slow movement of Clarinet Concerto, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik first movement, etc.), it's getting to stuff that I'm far less familiar with. I mean, how many people know the Adagio and Allegro for Barrel Organ?
  10. Playing this afternoon after hiking the beach in rain and sun:

From The New World - Antonin Dvorak
    The Moldau - Bedrich Smetana
    Finlandia - Jean Sibelius
  11. The Beatles 1967-1970 (The Blue Album)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2015 edited
    NP: Basie Meets Bond

A highly unlikely and highly enjoyable outing for one of jazz's swing time giants: Count Basie takes on Monty Norman and John Barry with some fantastic jazz arrangements from the first four Bond films.

Highlights are an explosively brassy The Golden Horn, and a finger-snapping, foot-tapping 007. The solos are universally excellent, and Basie, as always, has such a tight control over his orchestra that you could crack nuts between the notes.

I love this album.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

NP : LINTUKOTO ( ISLE OF BLISS ) - Einojuhani Rautavaara

Flowing, melodic, organic, colourful orchestral work. Gorgeous!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TAPIOLANDIA - Pekka Pohjola

This on the same album as my choice above. A really fine orchestral work from the Finnish Prog rock artist who I'm mostly familiar with for his work with Mike Oldfield. It's very filmic and some of the orchestrations and chord changes remind me somewhat of Michel Legrand's work on ICE STATION ZEBRA.
  12. Piano Concerto #3 - Sergei Prokofiev

This has become my favorite piano concerto after repeated listens. I especially love the second movement. The Theme itself isn't that spectacular but the many Variations on it are cool to listen to.
  13. Just finished Chvrches "Every Open Eye"... a fantastic synth pop album.
    Now onto JM Jarre's new album... smile
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  14. Synchrotones wrote

Just listened to the clips...awful.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2015
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Piano Concerto #3 - Sergei Prokofiev

This has become my favorite piano concerto after repeated listens. I especially love the second movement. The Theme itself isn't that spectacular but the many Variations on it are cool to listen to.

It's a masterpiece. As a college student, I had dreams of playing it in my senior recital but eventually concluded that I didn't have the time to to learn it properly (given I had to learn another fifty minutes of music as well). All his piano concertos are well worth hearing, although I personally prefer 1 and 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Synchrotones wrote

Yikes! Next to Williams' upcoming STAR WARS, this is my no. 1 album highlight of the year. I'm head over heels in love with the tracks I've heard so far -- an unprecedented project in the electronica genre. I'm waiting a bit untill prices drop a bit, though (hopefully). The exchange rate for dollars and pounds in relation to Norwegian kroner is absolutely dreadful at the moment.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. yeah
  16. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Synchrotones wrote

I quite like it. It's quite dancey though. Let's face it, the Jarre from the 80s is long gone.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  17. Which is a shame because there is a place for that still now.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn