• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Magical Mystery Tour (1967) - John, Paul, George and Ringo

I think, this is my favourite BEATLES album.

You know, I may be with you on that!
    And not because it contains my second favourite Beatles song ever 'Strawberry Fields Forever' ('Hey Jude' is number one, for anyone interested), but because the album has such an excellent flow to it (better even than Sgt. Pepper, in my opinion).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015 edited
    I agree, bloody great album except it isn't my favourite. That goes to Rubber Soul.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015
    beatlies is smoothiepantsa.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    beatlies is smoothiepantsa.

Very smooth Thor biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    By the way, someone caught you on camera Thor...

Thor yesterday
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LOL! Yeah, something like that.

Paying the price today. slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015
    Leroy Anderson performed by the Allentown Band. Often forgotten Anderson contributed just as much to American music as Sousa or Copland. I can remember playing some of his tunes in high school.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I love that typewriter tune. And of course Sleigh Ride. I have a best-of compilation somewhere.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: The Best of Rock'n'Roll

I found this newly released Polystar compilation in the budget section of a local record store. The playlist is predictable, all the evergreens are there. Some I had before on other CDs. By comparison the new masters sound fantastic.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2015
    I love that typewriter tune. And of course Sleigh Ride. I have a best-of compilation somewhere

My favorite one is called Bugler's Holiday.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Volker, have you ever listened to Karl Weigl before? He wrote a most interesting work for left hand only on the piano. When I listen to it it's absolutely amazing.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DAPHNIS ET CHLOE - Maurice Ravel

Claudio Abbado conducts. One of the greatest fantasy works ever.
  3. sdtom wrote
    Volker, have you ever listened to Karl Weigl before? He wrote a most interesting work for left hand only on the piano. When I listen to it it's absolutely amazing.
    Tom smile

I am familiar with the name, Tom, I'm sure I have listened to his music here and there, but I have no CDs.

smile Volker
  4. THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - PINK FLOYD

Can you believe I only discovered this band and this album only about a year ago?
    Of course I had heard of them and 'Another Brick in the Wall' is just a wonderfully catchy tune but other than that one, I knew nothing of them. But that may have been because I didn't particularly like their style, their sound back in the day. But over the years I've been expanding my tastes, and then I heard this one, it's been a love affair ever since. In fact, every listen of this superbly remastered CD I discover something new and wonderful. It's truly among the finest albums ever made. The musicianship is exquisite.

I only own Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall. Any others that offer that typical PF sound? But more of the type of TDSOTM.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DAPHNIS ET CHLOE - Maurice Ravel

Claudio Abbado conducts. One of the greatest fantasy works ever.

I don't have that recording but I have other conductors. A great work.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015
    An especially powerful moving work is Miaskovsky's Symphony No. 21 that I think both Volker and Timmer might like. It is done in one movement of about 20 minutes.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2015 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - PINK FLOYD

Can you believe I only discovered this band and this album only about a year ago?
    Of course I had heard of them and 'Another Brick in the Wall' is just a wonderfully catchy tune but other than that one, I knew nothing of them. But that may have been because I didn't particularly like their style, their sound back in the day. But over the years I've been expanding my tastes, and then I heard this one, it's been a love affair ever since. In fact, every listen of this superbly remastered CD I discover something new and wonderful. It's truly among the finest albums ever made. The musicianship is exquisite.

I only own Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall. Any others that offer that typical PF sound? But more of the type of TDSOTM.

So glad you've discovered the glory of Pink Floyd, Gilles! I became a fan in the mid or late 80s, when I was just a toddler, really, and have never looked back since.

You own the essentials, I would say. The early, more psychedelic Syd Barrett years are perhaps not for you (although SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS has some good tracks that showcase some of the style to come).

I suggest you get OBSCURED BY CLOUDS (a film score, even!), THE FINAL CUT (a sort-of leftover album from THE WALL), A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON and THE DIVISION BELL.

Also some good stuff among the members' solo efforts. Check out, in particular, Roger Waters' AMUSED TO DEATH, Rick Wright's BROKEN CHINA and Dave Gilmour's ABOUT FACE.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I have a lot of making up to do (The Wall for example, actually. I also need to see the film), but except Dark Side, my favorite albums of them are Wish You Were Here (yes, actually) and The Division Bell. I used to have a not-so-legit copy of The Final Cut.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. More than a Feeling, Rosanna, Don't Fear (The Reaper); Wheel in the Sky; Boys From Diamond City; Poison; I was Made for Loving You; Living After Midnight; The Final Countdown; Pictures in the Dark; Bat out of Hell ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2015
    The Captain is stuck in a timewarp with really skinny ties and massive mullets.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Let's do the timewarp again!
  8. Captain Future wrote
    More than a Feeling, Rosanna, Don't Fear (The Reaper); Wheel in the Sky; Boys From Diamond City; Poison; I was Made for Loving You; Living After Midnight; The Final Countdown; Pictures in the Dark; Bat out of Hell ...

Bat out of Hell part III over here. beer

Meat Loaf's still the man. But half the man he used to be. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2015
    I may be bolloxed right now but I can still spell, ya get me Thor? wink

NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Andre Previn conducting the LSO

When I'm in the mood, and I am in the mood now, music does not get better than this.
  9. NP: Geometry of Love (2003) - Jean-Michel Jarre

I was finally able to buy a new copy for a reasonable price from a gentleman in Britain.
    Ambient, as it was designed as background music in the first place. But top notch. A great album.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Geometry of Love (2003) - Jean-Michel Jarre

I was finally able to buy a new copy for a reasonable price from a gentleman in Britain.
    Ambient, as it was designed as background music in the first place. But top notch. A great album.

Volker

Although SESSIONS 2000 (which came out three years earlier) is more experimental and "jazzy", this is more laidback and loungey -- which, as you say, is obvious, given its original use. Both of them are ambient and a great example of Jarre's grasp of non-melodic electronic music. These are albums I usually refer people to when they go on about how bad TEO & TEA was (which I don't agree with either, but that's a different story).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015
    NP: KIND OF BLUE - Miles Davis

Just got home from the folks' place. Though I'm full of food and wine, I'm sure I can squeeze in an hour of lamp-lit, brandy-fuelled serenity before I head back to work tomorrow ( slant ).

cool
  10. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Finally got to something I really wanted to listen to for about... a week?

Of course, I know this exquisite album. I love Knopfler, both in Dire Straits and, actually, solo. I really like his last album as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Finally got to something I really wanted to listen to for about... a week?

Of course, I know this exquisite album. I love Knopfler, both in Dire Straits and, actually, solo. I really like his last album as well.

It's a fine album -- and obviously their most well-known -- but their "masterpiece" is LOVE OVER GOLD, IMO. Quite cinematic in places.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think it has probably been over 20 years since I last heard LOVE OVER GOLD, a great album but I played it to death.
  11. "Telegraph Road" is one of the greatest rock ballads ever. Love it.