• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016
    Does anyone have an opinion about the "Concerto Macabre" from Herrmann?
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016
    I like it but I've not heard it for a very long time Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016
    I don't know it, but Ive never been the biggest Herrmann fan.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: Symphonies No 4 & 5 - Henk Badings

Great music rooted in the late symphonic tradition. Strauss and Mahler come to mind. Curious that I would encounter Henk Badings and his contemporary Wolfgang Zeller at the same time. Both had entanglements with the Nazis but Zeller's involvement was much more serious and disturbing.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016
    Very much worth your time Tom and Volker or anyone else interested in the historical story behind Shostakovitch's 7th symphony.

LENINGRAD: THE ORCHESTRA THAT DEFIED HITLER

I saw it when it premiered on BBC at Christmas, good to see someone uploaded it on YT.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. The new DT album 'The Astonishing' : 130 minutes long, a rock opera concept album, pretty great for my tastes but exhausting to hear it in one sitting (or even two)...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Are you familiar with Ayreon, Gilles? Could be up your ally.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016
    I'm glad that you enjoyed it Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm familiar with the 7th of Shostakovich so it might prove of interest to me.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    Are you familiar with Ayreon, Gilles? Could be up your ally.

Volker

A dutch one-man prog band? shocked

No, I don't know him (looked him up on wikipedia). What album would you recommend?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. We
    DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Are you familiar with Ayreon, Gilles? Could be up your ally.

Volker

A dutch one-man prog band? shocked

No, I don't know him (looked him up on wikipedia). What album would you recommend?

Well, I'm not too familiar with his projects either. I have two albums in my collection The Human Equation wich I like a lot. Prog fans in general seem to prefer my other entry Into the Electric Castle. "Castle" is very proggy and experimental but can be tiring when listened to in one go. "Equation" is a bit more mainstream. Wonderful melodies, harmony singing and of course instrumental brilliance and general oomph. smile

PS: He is well represented on Spotify.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I'm familiar with the 7th of Shostakovich so it might prove of interest to me.

I hope the link plays in the US, it is VERY MUCH worth your time Tom.
  6. It does play in Germany. Very interesting.
  7. Right? When do YouTube videos with music ever play in Germany? cheesy
  8. G General
    E enterprise for
    M major
    A annoyance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016
    I'm having a serious listen to another new Naxos release called "Manhattan Intermezzo."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016
    NP: GREATEST HITS (10CC)

The old Godley & Creme stuff. Totally wacko, schizophrenic art pop, but soooo brilliant!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Strange apparatus... you've never seen ! Street alligators, even stranger themes !!! cheesy

Basically the only hit I know and can sing along to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Strange apparatus... you've never seen ! Street alligators, even stranger themes !!! cheesy

Basically the only hit I know and can sing along to.

I don't have that album, actually. But it's funny how many people confuse it with Sting's "Englishman in New York" because they're called the same (the songs, though, couldn't be more different).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CONVERTING VEGETARIANS II (Infected Mushroom)

I've been waiting for this sequel album forever, and it's great to hear their wacky modulations are still in top form!
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: Outside (2015) - Maximilien Mathevon

An electronica album that evokes the time around 1980. Not - that is my guess - an album that recreates the sound of yesteryear with historic synths but it does so with contemporary means. I't not a pastiche of any certain artist. Influences have be accepted from various directions and transformed into something original and really worthwhile.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Outside (2015) - Maximilien Mathevon

An electronica album that evokes the time around 1980. Not - that is my guess - an album that recreates the sound of yesteryear with historic synths but it does so with contemporary means. I't not a pastiche of any certain artist. Influences have be accepted from various directions and transformed into something original and really worthwhile.

Volker

It's a fine album, but his previous electronic album -- VACUUM LOGIC -- is even better, IMO. It also taps into 70s electro styles (Tangerine Dream and Jean Michel Jarre, in particular).
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Outside (2015) - Maximilien Mathevon

Volker

It's a fine album, but his previous electronic album -- VACUUM LOGIC -- is even better, IMO. It also taps into 70s electro styles (Tangerine Dream and Jean Michel Jarre, in particular).

I need to revisit that album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LEGEND OF THE BLACK SHAWARMA (Infected Mushroom)

Awesome!
    I am extremely serious.
  12. ^ The Mushrooms are to "rave-y" for my taste. Technically and in terms of musicianship it's very good.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I figured it wasn't quite up your alley. But I absolutely ADORE goa/psytrance -- especially if they have musical trademarks like Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom and even Shpongle (which is more low-tempo).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Shpongle is more my cuppa!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016 edited
    Sadly, I do not know any other film music fan who is interested in more hard-hitting electronica (from the 90s onwards). No one to geek out with... sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    Shpongle is more my cuppa!
    Shpongle is fantastic!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016
    Thor wrote
    Sadly, I do not know any other film music fan who is interested in more hard-hitting electronica (from the 90s onwards). No one to geek out with... sad

I like some. just not enough to geek with you Thor.