• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Does anyone play video games through Steam?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016
    No and no. What is Steam?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It's like a cloud server for video games. Lets you own lots of games without actually having the CD-ROM. Pretty much the only game I play there is Age of Empires II (which absolutely and completely holds up 17 years later, by the way).
  3. Steam is a store where one can buy and download videogames digitally. The latest ones as well as many oldies. But it only works through an online account, and what you buy will be forever tied to that account.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016 edited
    NP: CONVERTING VEGETARIANS II (Infected Mushroom)

Yes, again. I really don't think this album (or, in fact, much of IM's discography) is too hard-hitting for fans of more traditional electronica. They do so many weird things, tap into so many genres, and are very often downtempo. Check out the track "Pink Froid" from this album, for example -- a wonderful tribute to the stylings of the legendary prog band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XScxBQpNzXE
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Again listening to another legendary prog band's latest rocking album (The Astonishing).

Jordan Rudess is the master of the electronic side of this band, a truly AMAZING keyboard player. He co-wrote the album with guitarist John Petrucci, another master of his craft. All-round fantastic technical playing once more.

There's no band I think of more highly than Dream Theater. Practically every album they've done is a masterpiece IMO. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    There's no band I think of more highly than Dream Theater. Practically every album they've done is a masterpiece IMO. punk

Hardly surprising, given your screen name.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. But I had just discovered them when I joined here in 2007, so my admiration wasn't as towering high as it is now. I think I had only heard a few things they did. My user name was more a spur of the moment thing. cheesy
  6. NP: Random Access Memories (2013) - Daft Punk

Stellar album. Could have done without Moroder's narration, great album anyway.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Random Access Memories (2013) - Daft Punk

Stellar album. Could have done without Moroder's narration, great album anyway.

smile Volker

I dig Moroder's narration myself (it's pitched so beautifully to the background music), and the track itself is IMO the higlight of the whole album.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. This song (and beautifully shot video) by the talented singer Ofra Haza, who departed this world much too soon (2000).
  8. NP: Let It Be (1970) - The Beatles

Three of the IMO most beautiful songs ever composed - Let It Be, Across The Universe and The Long And Winding Road - are assembled on this album. Has there ever been a swansong more gripping? What a marvel this band was.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Let It Be (1970) - The Beatles

Three of the IMO most beautiful songs ever composed - Let It Be, Across The Universe and The Long And Winding Road - are assembled on this album. Has there aver been a swansong more gripping? What a marvel this band was.

Volker

Nuff said! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016
    NP : SYMPHONY # 2 A LONDON SYMPHONY - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This is the award winning Richard Hickox and the LSO recording. Sublime!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 2 A LONDON SYMPHONY - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This is the award winning Richard Hickox and the LSO recording. Sublime!

absolutely
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2016
    I pulled out a CD called Enchanted Kingdom. It is wonderful Russian music from Liadov, Rimsky Korsakov, and Tcherepin. I wonder if Volker would like it? We may have a continuing saga of another thread.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2016
    This morning I returned to one of my all time favorites Schubert's 8th Symphony "Unfinished," one that I've not tired of in over 50 years of listening. It is performed by the Oslo Philharmonic.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2016
    sdtom wrote
    I pulled out a CD called Enchanted Kingdom. It is wonderful Russian music from Liadov, Rimsky Korsakov, and Tcherepin. I wonder if Volker would like it? We may have a continuing saga of another thread.
    Tom

It's a lovely album! I heartily recommend it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote in October 2015
    NP: Basie Meets Bond

A highly unlikely and highly enjoyable outing for one of jazz's swing time giants: Count Basie takes on Monty Norman and John Barry with some fantastic jazz arrangements from the first four Bond films.

Highlights are an explosively brassy The Golden Horn, and a finger-snapping, foot-tapping 007. The solos are universally excellent, and Basie, as always, has such a tight control over his orchestra that you could crack nuts between the notes.

I love this album.

WOOOOW punk

(I should visit this thread more regularly shame ).
    Kazoo
  9. THE ENDLESS RIVER - PINK FLOYD

It's What We Do, Anisina, Allons-Y, Talkin' Hawkin' and Surfacing. These are the excellent instrumentals.
    Louder Than Words. This is the only song with vocals, and a wonderful way to end the album.

Love this one ! I'm glad I finally decided to give this band a chance.
    It's not for everyone, but I can dig it. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/ … ntermezzo/

A new review which features a good work from Neil Sedaka
    Tom
  10. NP: Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony) - Camille Saint-Saëns
    City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra; Louis Frémaux; Christopher Robinson (Organ)

I was completely ignorant of this work until I chanced upon this CD in a shop and obtained it on impulse. It's lovely!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016
    His most well known work
  11. Wouldn't that be Le carnaval des animaux?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016
    I don't think so. I think the Organ Symphony out does it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016
    I agree with the Captain, Carnival has always been an incredibly popular classical work.

Symphony #3 became more popular some years back due to its use in the film BABE. Even then I heard some people thought it was the Aquarium music from Carnival.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016
    Yup, I would side with the Captain and Timmer.
    As beautiful as the #3 is, it's the Carnival that I would say is easily the best known one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. NP: Various songs of The Moody Blues

Timothy Leeeeeary ... terrific band!

cool Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2016
    Timothy Leary is dead. Really! wink
  13. NP: Snapshots (1989) - Jan Hammer

A fine studio album that contains the radio version of the theme from Eurocops (1988-1992). A great theme but I always preferred the original version which never has been released.

Volker