• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NOTHING CHANGES UNDER THE SUN - Blue States

Lush, dreamy and cinematic. Heard this one Lee?

Yes! I'm pretty sure it was you who recommended it to me in the first place! I'll have to give it another listen soon...

beer

EDIT: Just gave it a preview on Spotify and, yes, I remember it. A wonderful precursor to Zero 7, I found.

Duly noted smile

Vangelis - Rosetta

Not among his best works, oh no, but still decent.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Vangelis: I like that kind of dreamy meandering stuff. Like "The Endless River" by Pink Floyd.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016
    NP: THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE (Orbital)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016
    ^
    Love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016 edited
    NP: COLLAGE - James Horner

Of course, there's very little here that we haven't heard before but, Christ... it's presented and arranged in a such a way that makes me tear up a little. So nostalgic. A good send-out, IMO. So glad his final work was a horn concerto, his favourite instrument.

cool
  3. The only complaints I have about the album are Jose's Martyrdom (I never liked Cristiada as a score, because it was so heavy and derivative and vocals made the cue for what it is rather than the solo strings here) and Aliens, which come nowhere near the mood of anything else on this album.

A fantastic farewell sold by the horn concerto and the previously unheard First in Flight (which in fact is a more fitting farewell than the concerto itself maybe?).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016
    I love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm playing...

NP : CARNIVAL OF THE ANIMALS - Camille Saint-Saens

But I think Collage is next.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    The only complaints I have about the album are Jose's Martyrdom (I never liked Cristiada as a score, because it was so heavy and derivative and vocals made the cue for what it is rather than the solo strings here) and Aliens, which come nowhere near the mood of anything else on this album.

A fantastic farewell sold by the horn concerto and the previously unheard First in Flight (which in fact is a more fitting farewell than the concerto itself maybe?).

I think it's an almost brilliantly artful touch of album production to have the more spectacular farewell piece be the opener, and have the final goodbye be a more subdued one...especially since we don't want to linger too much on the flying/ending association, that might get a little morbid and we're already getting enough of it in the case of his final released score being an airplane one next month. The way this album is arrange is kind of a rewind through his career from passionate to quieter material, and a goodbye album is the perfect place to use this reverse of the typical dramatic structure of an instrumental/soundtrack album.
  5. An interesting hypothesis here. Though, as with a film and a lot of scores, structurally, the emotional setpiece comes actually somewhere in the middle (the exquisite Kitty Hawk!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROSETTA (Vangelis)

Just started playing, and the opening sounds like Toto's DUNE (or more specifically Eno's track)!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Yes. It emidiately reminded me of Brian Eno too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I really like what I'm hearing so far -- far superior to MYTHODEA, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Mythodea was an orchestral endeavour deeply rooted in Greek musical traditions. It had more in common with Theodorakis than with electronica Vangelis.

I dig Rosetta. Vintage Vangelis. Those high pitched arpeggios might have their origin in more recent equipment btw. They sure sound like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Mythodea was an orchestral endeavour deeply rooted in Grrek musical traditions. It had more in common with Theodorakis than with electronica Vangelis.

I know. He should keep away from orchestras. Forever.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016 edited
    By the way, Rosetta is being "crashed" into the comet in about 50 minutes.

Follow the live coverage here:

http://rosetta.esa.int/
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What planet you on, Mythodea is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Having worked ona few projects for ESA this is of special interest to me.
    What a boon for science.

And sad to see Rosetta go.
    Thanks, little machine!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Timmer wrote
    What planet you on, Mythodea is excellent.

It is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nothing terribly interesting in the live coverage -- basically just a bunch of people standing around and some blinking graphs on a screen. Hopefully, we'll get the final pictures soon.

I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't more talk of the nuts-and-bolts of the physical landing, as well as its future on the comet. Most of it concerned the scientific findings. Also, how come it's so difficult to get live footage from the cameras -- whether it's the Mars missions or these things? They already have cameras. Why can't they film?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Mythodea was an orchestral endeavour deeply rooted in Grrek musical traditions. It had more in common with Theodorakis than with electronica Vangelis.

I know. He should keep away from orchestras. Forever.

Not at all. Besides, if you conciser his album Mask or the work he did with Irene Papas or some of he songs he wrote with Demis Roussos, then you will also find those Greek elements. They may seem somewhat strange to western ears but are ultimately rewarding if you get yourself into it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have some of that, and that's totally different. It has nothing to do with Greek elements (which are fine), it's the hyper-massive layers of orchestra and electronics that cancel each other out, with endless cymbal crashes and whatnot. Headache-inducing. I've given MYTHODEA several chances over the years, and I've always -- without exception -- had to turn it off before it was finished.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Having worked ona few projects for ESA this is of special interest to me.
    What a boon for science.

And sad to see Rosetta go.
    Thanks, little machine!!

Good bye.
  11. If Rosetta wasn't too badly damaged she might well return in some future Star Trek film. smile

Ro'ta seeks the Maker ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The landing spot certainly had a very STAR TREK-like name. Ma'al, was it?
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    NP: ROSETTA (Vangelis)

Just started playing, and the opening sounds like Toto's DUNE (or more specifically Eno's track)!

On closer inspection you might be referring to the Desert Theme by Toto rather than the Prophecy Theme by Eno.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Could be. It's been ages since I played it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love the score to Dune by toto and Eno, still IMO the best score to any of Frank Herbert's film or TV adaptations. Did you know that Quincy Jones was first touted to be scoring it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I love the score to Dune by toto and Eno, still IMO the best score to any of Frank Herbert's film or TV adaptations. Did you know that Quincy Jones was first touted to be scoring it.

I did not. How did Jones know Lynch?

Of course, Pink Floyd was originally supposed to have scored DUNE -- in the earlier Jodorowsky version that never happened.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I believe Toto and Eno did not end up too far away from what Pink Floyd might have delivered.