• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016
    NP : REQUIEM - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Leonard Bernstein conducting. Wonderful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016
    NP : COLLAGE - James Horner

Not much we haven't heard before but it's a lovely work that I've played over and over. I love the harking back to Battle Beyond The Stars/Star Trek.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016
    NP : FIRST CIRCLE - Pat Metheny Group

brilliant album.
  1. Isn't Christmas near already?

The Power of Love (1984) - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

... takes coat ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2016 edited
    NP: BRØRNE LØVEHJERTE [THE BROTHERS LIONHEART] (Eirik Myhr)

Our own Eirik's theatre score from last year -- some beautiful textures and melancholy here. This didn't get the attention it deserved from the film music crowd, I think. Check it out on Spotify!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2016
    NP : LA MER - Claude Debussy

Such a sublime work.
  2. Requiem Rutter

Listening to this after seeing it performed in Bristol last night, an incredibly beautiful piece of work I hadn't been familiar with. I love the solos, both vocal and instrumental. Any recommendations for other Rutter works I should check out?
  3. NP: James Last Live in London (1978)

Hansi Last in his heyday. He and his orchestra, they were damn good.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2016
    NP : BLOW BY BLOW - Jeff Beck

Jazz/rock instrumental album produced by George Martin. Brilliant!

SCATTERBRAIN
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Good choice! I think this is yet another record you've recommended to me over the years!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Probably. This one and There & Back are my two favourite Jeff Beck albums, both instrumental and both superb.
  4. NP: Sundown Chronicles (2016) - Maximilien Mathevon

Maximilien's recent electronic album. This is nice and easy on the ear and a major tribute to 70s electronica. Albums such like this, reprising the style of electronic music from ca. 1974-1985, seem to pop up everywhere right now. If you call them epigonic or renaissance depends on your perception.
    Well, this album doesn't break any new ground but all connoisseurs of that style of electronic music should check it out.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Sundown Chronicles (2016) - Maximilien Mathevon

Maximilien's recent electronic album. This is nice and easy on the ear and a major tribute to 70s electronica. Albums such like this, reprising the style of electronic music from ca. 1974-1985, seem to pop up everywhere right now. If you call them epigonic or renaissance depends on your perception.
    Well, this album doesn't break any new ground but all connoisseurs of that style of electronic music should check it out.

Volker

Yeah, I've spun it a few times (in fact, it's playing right now). I like it too, just as I do Max's previous albums OUTSIDE and VACUUM LOGIC. Very JMJ with some elements of TD.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Sundown Chronicles (2016) - Maximilien Mathevon

Volker

... Very JMJ with some elements of TD.

That exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I find it more specifically FQY, with a very clear dash of GLURPF and a distinct hint of BLOPDUT.
    To be exact.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Short Electronica Glossary:

JMJ = Jean Michel Jarre
    KW = Kraftwerk
    TD= Tangerine Dream
    FM = Frequent Modulations
    DX7 = 80s bliss
    MIDI = Mind if I detonate it?
    synth = organ, sort of
    God = Robert Moog
    Amp = citius, altius, fortius
    Step sequencer = smart watch that helps you keep shape
    Arp = Playing the piano? Why?
    black out = end of the world

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016
    NP : CLASSIC HOUSE - Pete Tong

Pretty damn good, orchestrally augmented classic tracks such as right Here, Right Now, Good Life, Porceline.... Definitely not gone all Pete Tong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016 edited
    Pete Tong? Wasn't he a reggae man? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RABBIT & ROGUE (Danny Elfman)

Fine ballet score, although he's basically whipping up all his post-Sereneda Schizophrana stylings in a new fashion (a bit more outrovert, and a bit less minimalist). Gets a bit intense as it rolls along, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Pete Tong? Wasn't he a reggae man? wink

You're thinking of Peter Tosh. ( where's the ganja smoking icon? wink )

p.s. You were joking...right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016
    I was indeed, hence the winkie. I'm aware of Pete Tong. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: The Whole of the Moon
    The Music of Mike Scott and The Waterboys

One of the most uplifting albums I have yet come across. Glastonbury Song and Fisherman's Blues are songs I can play in loops through the night.

Volker
  8. NP: Oxygene 3 (2016) - Jean Michel Jarre

This sounds really good.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Oxygene 3 (2016) - Jean Michel Jarre

This sounds really good.

Volker

Have you downloaded it? Is it on Spotify? The CD was released today, and I'm waiting for prices to drop a bit before I buy it.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I bought it in a store today. Like in the old days.
  10. I just discovered that if you play all three albums from the Oxygene Trilogy set in a row it amounts to precisely two hours of music. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016 edited
    NP : FACE THE MUSIC - Electric Light Orchestra

Such a great album.

It was this track FIRE ON HIGH which was on the b-side of the hit single Livin Thing that really turned me on to ELO, a combo of film music, The Beatles, Prog rock etc, utter brilliance.
  11. You and ELO ... I wouldn't have thought. Interesting, for me it's a "best-of" act, not a band that I have individual albums from.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    You and ELO ... I wouldn't have thought.

Erm....why?

Captain Future wrote
    Interesting, for me it's a "best-of" act, not a band that I have individual albums from.

There is sooo much more to them than 'hit singles', you're missing an awful lot of excellent music.