• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote

The Album - ABBA
    STAR WARS - John Williams
    Even in the Quietest Moments - Supertramp
    Rocky - Bill Conty
    Saturday Night Fever - Bee Gees
    I Robot - Alan Parsons Project
    Animals - Pink Floyd
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind - John Williams

smile Volker

All brillliant albums!

Not to mention the most important thing:

Birth of Thor.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. biggrin punk

I was already 6 years old then and started to really notice and remember music.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Me too, at age 6. But only kiddie records. My proper musical "awareness" didn't come about untill I was some 8-9. Most of it was influenced by my dad's record collection, which is why several of my favourite artists are from before my birth.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SOMEWHERE IN THE AUDIENCE (Eric Woolfson)

Musicals are hit and miss for me, but I've always loved Woolfson's stuff. This tribute album, released after his death, has some great covers of this material. But I'm sure that for many of you, this is an example of the very thing you hate with contemporary musicals (Timmer would hate this album!).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Day Fever (2017) - Dear Reader

I like this a lot. On Spotify.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017
    NP: OXYGENE 3 (Jean Michel Jarre)

It's OK, but I'm not entirely sold. It's not on the level of either the first or second.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. It has grown on me but I ultimately agree. In structure this third incarnation is closer to the original album then the second one was. The style is up to date, there is no resurrection of yesteryear's sound, but there are constant and rather subtle references to the original Oxygene.
    The final organ like pad sequence gets to me every time. So emotional.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017
    Yeah, I have a feeling it will grow on me a bit. I'm late to the party, but I wanted to wait untill I found a CD I could afford.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017
    I haven't heard it yet. The first was and is brilliant and I liked the second.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017
    Ruin & Memory Howard Shore

If shore decided to focus only on concert works, I'd be okay with this.
  4. NP: Voulez-Vous (1979) - ABBA

UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage. Nothing short of that.

smile Volker
  5. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Voulez-Vous (1979) - ABBA

UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage. Nothing short of that.

smile Volker

An excellent album!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Warsaw Philharmonic: Karol Szymanowski

A collection of Szymanowski's work performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic (an orchestra I got to hear live a few times at least) based on a new deal they have with Warner Classics. I am hardly an expert in Szymanowski's work, having only heard the third symphony live once. This album features it (under a different conductor, but same orchestra). This CD serves as my introduction.

Szymanowski was a great composer, harmonically very complex. I'd be glad to discover that much more of it.

It is on Spotify, so if anyone is interested (also in hearing Polish as it really sounds!), you can listen to it there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017
    NP: FEELING WEIRD (The Infinity Project)

One of the CLASSIC psytrance albums from 1995; raw, lean and gritty. This was before it was all 'lush-ified' (which I also like, btw).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Ommadawn (1975) - Mike Oldfield

This is an enduring masterpiece. I revisit this classic album before giving Return to Ommadawn its first spin.

Volker
  8. NP: Return to Ommadawn (2017) - Mike Oldfield

As Jean Michel Jarre releases Oxygen 3, Mike Oldfield revisits Ommadown. The connection between the 1975 original album and the recent release lies in the orchestration rather than the melodic content. It is pleasant, maybe too pleasant. It lacks the rawness, the grittiness that define certain passages of the original Ommadawn. Still, this is my favourite Oldfield album since Music of the Spheres. A winner.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Return to Ommadawn (2017) - Mike Oldfield

As Jean Michel Jarre releases Oxygen 3, Mike Oldfield revisits Ommadown. The connection between the 1975 original album and the recent release lies in the orchestration rather than the melodic content. It is pleasant, maybe too pleasant. It lacks the rawness, the grittiness that define certain passages of the original Ommadawn. Still, this is my favourite Oldfield album since Music of the Spheres. A winner.

I have still yet to hear this one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. The Moody Blues

Various songs. The albums Days of Future Passed through Seventh Sojourn are part of my collection. Magnificent band!

Volker
  10. I love that song they did with the Aaaaaaaaahhhhh's ... biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017
    A five hour playlist of Ravel. God, I love Ravel.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017 edited
    Josh B wrote
    God, I love Ravel.

Me too! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Who doesn't?
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Snare drum players who have to perform Bolero, I think.
  12. Pink Floyd's The Wall

I give this one a rating of 9 out of 5, because it's much better than perfect. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Pink Floyd's The Wall

I give this one a rating of 9 out of 5, because it's much better than perfect. cool

Agreed. On my own Top 5 of non-film music albums. Overplayed or not.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Funnily enough for me it's not yet overplayed, I only got into the band about 3-4 years ago.

I am quite ashamed of not discovering them earlier. Ignoring them for years and years, what was I thinking? shame

There's a new Roger Waters album coming in May... Can't wait !
  14. DreamTheater wrote
    Pink Floyd's The Wall

This album has been much sneered at for not being as progressive as earlier albums of Pink Floyd. It does mark Waters' takeover and the turn towards arena rock.
    Still I believe this is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. I regard Waters as a real poet. In my view The Wall is first and foremost a musically enhanced cycle of poems. What a great concept this is.
    My praise for Waters does not mean not to appreciate Gilmour's contributions to the album.
    One of my all time favourite rock albums. One to return to time and again.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Snare drum players who have to perform Bolero, I think.

I could live without Bolero. But I'm probably soured by the miserable experience I had of listening to that piece during an MRI.
  15. Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Pink Floyd's The Wall

This album has been much sneered at for not being as progressive as earlier albums of Pink Floyd. It does mark Waters' takeover and the turn towards arena rock.
    Still I believe this is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. I regard Waters as a real poet. In my view The Wall is first and foremost a musically enhanced cycle of poems. What a great concept this is.
    My praise for Waters does not mean not to appreciate Gilmour's contributions to the album.
    One of my all time favourite rock albums. One to return to time and again.

Volker

I agree with your assessment. It's true poetry, the man has written some of the most meaningful, deep lyrics I've ever heard uttered in vocalized songs. Because he uses his poetry to address many of the social and political issues of those times, and what do you know, they're still relevant today.

The Wall is part 1 of a trilogy. The Final Cut (Pink Floyd) is part 2. Amused to Death (his 1992 solo album) is part 3.

IMO if you love The Wall, the other 2 will be absolutely worth your time and attention.

Personally speaking I adore all three of them. Because I think Roger Waters is a legend, even if 4 years ago I didn't even know who he was... crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017 edited
    They're all brilliant. I also like RADIO KAOS and THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCHHIKING. Less enthusiastic about his opera CA IRA.

But I've always felt that saying you like THE WALL is like saying "The Beatles was a popular band". It hardly gives you any cred, since it's such a universally liked and known album. But that's not the album's fault. There's a reason it became such a classic in the first place. One shouldn't be afraid to express one's admiration for a popular album.
    I am extremely serious.