• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I checked out some of that Retrowave / Synthwave stuff that seems to be the height of fashion in the EDM scene. Funny, although I love 80s New Wave this rehash doesn't do much for me. I guess the nostalgia factor is missing.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited
    The Final Cut - Roger Waters feat. 2 members of Pink Floyd

So I read that many Floyd fans acknowledge this almost solo effort as a monumental failure.

I don't get that. It's pure poetry in the lyrics department and many standout moments through exemplary Waters songwriting. Masterpiece in my book. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. ^ yeah You got that right brother! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017
    Agreed!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017
    I'm one of those Floyd fans who never liked it despite trying.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. You're more on the Gilmour side of things?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017 edited
    Gilmour is the man too. Who else could do such beautifully complex guitar solo's? Not a lot of artists.

About The Final Cut, as a political statement it's still very much relevant today. On first listen I didn't know who this 'Maggie' person was (Thatcher). But then I'm not a UK citizen.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. That's right. I respect both Gilmour and Waters tremendously. Floyd made some of their greatest musical stuff when they managed to bring their creative forces to a synthesis. Waters on his own is a hell of a poet, his music is super solid but it doesn't excel. Same goes for Gilmour, who on his own makes fine music but somewhat remains in his comfort zone.
    The same can be said about other bands that have two ore more songwriters. There are always antagonistic forces. If these can be bridged, not in the way of compromise which is diminishing the result, but by achieving a synthesis on a higher level, the result will be thrilling. Lennon & McCartney come to mind of course. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Or you have bands like Supertramp, where the two main songwriters (Davies and Hodgson) have very different styles, but somehow their respective songs come together on a conceptual level.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    You're more on the Gilmour side of things?

Mainly, yes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Gilmour still hasn't made a solo album as good as AMUSED TO DEATH, but I might also be veering more towards him in general. Only barely, though. THE WALL is mainly Rogers' baby, and it remains my favourite PF album and one of the greatest rock albums of all time.

Ah, screw it. I can't choose.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Gilmour still hasn't made a solo album as good as AMUSED TO DEATH

yeah

But I would have to say that The Division Bell is bloody fantastic too. Which is mostly Gilmour's baby anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, absolutely. I like all of Gilmour's solo albums, as well as all the post-Waters Floyd, but that album is -- to me -- second only to some of the band's classics. Haven't played it in ages, but it's one of the very first Compact Discs I bought (perhaps even THE first).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. My very fist CD was KuschelRock 1, a pop music compilation. They've churned out over 30 CDs in that series by now. Quite popular here in Germany. If I remember correctly my first score CD was Toto's DUNE. Or the "Best of Space Music" compilation (Williams/Boston Pops) on the Philips label. I played them on my parent's CD player.

Volker
  7. There is one german 80s hit that never fails to raise my spirits: 'Play It Cool' by Freiheit. It's so cheesy by todays standards but god I love that tune. beer

Do you know if that was their only hit Volker or were they more successful in Germany?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017
    Speaking of Pink Floyd, I assume you're all aware that Roger has a new studio album coming out; the first since AMUSED TO DEATH? Release date is unknown, but it should be right around the corner:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/02/ … ally-want/
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I mentioned that a while ago Thor, but didn't link it.

Looks like another concept album, so definitely looking forward to it. cheesy

And isn't Ca Ira (a sort of opera from what I read) his most recent one? But I haven't got that one.

Also, if anyone has interest in Waters and still has to buy Amused to Death, be sure to pick up the 2015 remaster, as it's the definitive version, with a couple of enhancements, additions, stellar sound and the edition with the audio Blu-ray is a must-have, because of the incredible sonic experience. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    And isn't Ca Ira (a sort of opera from what I read) his most recent one? But I haven't got that one.

As you say, CA IRA is an opera, not a studio album. And it isn't very good. I think I've played it all but twice over the years. Very difficult to get through in one sitting.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Maybe my dad should try it out, he's into classical stuff and opera's and such. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017 edited
    Yeah, my dad too. Except that it isn't 'classical' opera, it's a weird hybrid of musical theatre, opera and something else -- more rock-oriented "melodies" that don't suit the opera format very well. It becomes irritating after a while. I simply think Waters is not really able to write more classical stuff; he's better at big ROCK operas. From the brief clip above (from the new studio album), it thankfully seems he's back to his true strength again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2017 edited
    NP: HOUNDS OF LOVE - Kate Bush

Exceptional moments of beauty and madness, as you'd expect from such an diverse and eclectic talent like Bush. I wish there were somebody even close to her producing music today (with the exceptionally bizarre music videos to match... https://youtu.be/sV7w5TaYjRA).

Still... I love her dearly.
  10. yeah Me too! love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2017 edited
    Brrrrrrrrrilliant!
  11. NP: Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) - The Fab Four

It's a cliché and a platitude to state, but this album is a marvel.

Volker
  12. The Planets Holst

I just got this version with John Williams conducting the Boston Pops, I had no idea it even existed until recently and I think it's a really great performance! I also have the seemingly much maligned Herrmann conducted version which I also enjoy, The slow tempo at times makes it feel like it's one of Herrmann's own compositions! Are there any other performances of 'The Planets' out there conducted by film composers?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2017
    John Chambers wrote
    The Planets Holst

I just got this version with John Williams conducting the Boston Pops, I had no idea it even existed until recently and I think it's a really great performance! I also have the seemingly much maligned Herrmann conducted version which I also enjoy, The slow tempo at times makes it feel like it's one of Herrmann's own compositions! Are there any other performances of 'The Planets' out there conducted by film composers?

Just those two as far as I know. My all time favourite recording is Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony.
  13. I love all the recordings, Williams did for the Philips label.

For everyone who loves Holst's The Planets (And which film music fan doesn't?) I'd like to point out the recording Simon Rattle did with the Berlin Philharmonics (Warner) which includes four additional suites by contemporary composers commissioned especially for this album.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    The Planets Holst

Just those two as far as I know. My all time favourite recording is Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony.

oops! How could I forget a version by film composer turned classical conductor Andre Previn shame

p.s. I just listened to The Planets arranged for organ. Pretty damned good. It's on Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    THE PLANETS has become somewhat of an 'evergreen' over the years, especially for film music fans. But as with Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", I'm continously amazed by its quality whenever I give it a go.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    THE PLANETS has become somewhat of an 'evergreen' over the years, especially for film music fans. But as with Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", I'm continously amazed by its quality whenever I give it a go.

Both have been 'evergreens' for decades.

I was once lucky enough to see Andre Previn conduct the LSO in a program of British music which included Vaughan Williams, Delius and Holst Planets suite. I was 14 or 15 yrs old and had not long got into film music, I didn't know at that point that Andre Previn had had a career as a Hollywood film composer.