• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Alice is a bit off and I guess it doesn't work as well as Floyd's which was more heartfelt and personal.

I quite like this album interpretation. Have you heard the symphonic Dark Side of The Moon? ( which I like more )

And how about Dub Side of The Moon? biggrin cool <spliff

Didn't know there was one for DSotM. Will check it out.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017 edited
    Got a new download from Naxos of Hollywood music The rendition of Dances With Wolves would have made John Barry smile. Worth checking into. Not familiar with the Vogtland Symphony, anybody heard of them?
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017
    Hopefully Volker can shed some light on the orchestraas I'm most curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    unable to get the link to work. When I click on it it comes up blank.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017 edited
    Should be like this, just do a quote of my post and you will see the correct way to link to a site.

"considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DreamTheater wrote
    Should be like this, just do a quote of my post and you will see the correct way to link to a site.

Will give it a try. I don't think it did it that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Listening to Shostakovich Symphony No. 1 and three early pieces he did, one of which sounds like Tchaikovsky (Scherzo). Excellent for a first Symphony and the other pieces I don't have in my collection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Will give it a try. I don't think it did it that way.

Check out the set Volker. Amazon prime has it for $45.00 which includes shipping. Lots of good stuff in it.
  2. sdtom wrote
    Hopefully Volker can shed some light on the orchestras I'm most curious.

The Vogtland Philharmonie is a public orchestra supported by the states of Saxony and Thuringia. It was founded in 1992.
    There are 130 such orchestras in Germany. Some of these orchestras belong to major PBS stations, like the Bayerisches Rundfunkorchester or the NDR Elbphilharmonie. Others are supported by major cities, like the Gürzenich Orchester Cologne. Other orchestras again are supported by federal states like my local Philharmonie Südwestfalen.
    The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra exists outside that system. It's a private organization.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you read my review you'll find out its a darn good one. Check it out.

Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2017
    working on my review of the early works of Shostakovich. It makes me appreciate all he did for Hollywood film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    [url https://wordpress.com/post/naxos2017.wo … m/115/url]
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://naxos2017.wordpress.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2017 edited
    grr will try again
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2017 edited
    https://wordpress.com/post/naxos2017.wordpress.com/115

My review of the Shostakovich CD.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017
    Hi Tom, very pleased to see you back here and in fine fettle again beer

Did you know about this recent release...

Scott of The Antarctic complete score

Runs at 79 minutes, right up your alley methinks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    it is right up my alley. Looking forward to getting it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Listening to the 1st symphony of Bruckner right now. This is the second release from Gustavo Gimeno and the Luxembourg Orchestra. He is new to the sene and so far quite good. As far as Bruckner goes you must acquire a taste or him as Volker will also tell you.
  3. Yes. Mahler is more up my ally, but Bruckner can be very rewarding too. You have to be patient sometimes, then the music will open up.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bruckner was far more traditional than Mahler. I do like him and I found that several listens will allow you to distinguish between the differences in the symphonies
  4. NP: Adiemus - Songs of Sanctuary (1995) - Karl Jenkins
    With Miriam Stockley

Remember the Delta Airways commercial? I read they still use the title cue as their boarding song. A really great project. They did, I think, five albums in total. Only the first one is still in my collection.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2017
    Like others of Bruckner there are two versions of his first symphony. The one that I'm reviewing is the "Vienna" version of 1890-91. The original version comes from the 1860's. The second is quite superior to the first.
  5. NP:
    Pet Sounds (1966) - Beach Boys
    Revolver (same year) - The Beatles

The good old bad old times!

cool Volker
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017
    Listening to Tchaikovsky's piano music. I'm always fascinated when a large chunk of a composer's output is virtually ignored by performers. But listening to it, you realize quickly the reason why is because it's just really boring. You can tell he wrote it strictly for the paycheck.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP:
    Pet Sounds (1966) - Beach Boys
    Revolver (same year) - The Beatles

The good old bad old times!

cool Volker

Brilliant albums.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    jb1234 wrote
    Listening to Tchaikovsky's piano music. I'm always fascinated when a large chunk of a composer's output is virtually ignored by performers. But listening to it, you realize quickly the reason why is because it's just really boring. You can tell he wrote it strictly for the paycheck.

I certainly don't find his first piano concerto boring at all. Melody filled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    George Antheil who did bothe sondtrack material and classical. His new release of his symphonies is boring, loud, and distorted. The only merit of the CD is a short western piece he wrote.
  6. NP: 2nd (1973) - Agitation Free

Not familiar? Whoever likes early Pink Floyd should check out this Krautrock gem.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2017
    Going through volumes 1 & 2 of the Vogtland recordings of Hollywood music. The track listings on the back of the CD don't match the download grr.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017
    Russian Funeral by Benjamin Britten. Any new classical piece to me is an exciting one.