• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2017
    will do Thor
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I got a download from Naxos of the Turko jazz and philharmonic orchesta. Anyone heard of them? By the way I considered it for me a negative because the sung songs were in Finnish which I'v no clue about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A new release from Chandos is the orchestral works of Busoni (2 CD's) and covers a lot of time from the end of the romantic era to the period of World War I to the new era of modernism. This is a CD that I like overall. My favorite on the set so far is the piano concerto.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017
    https://b2b.naxosusa.com/album.aspx?pro … medium=phy

Cugarte is a label I've no experience with but "Gadfly" is top notch
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017
    new review
    https://wordpress.com/post/naxos2017.wordpress.com/298
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017
    NP: ROSETTA (Vangelis)

This album has skyrocketed in appreciation with me, after an initial lukewarm response.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017 edited
    Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning (1999)

R.I.P. Chris, one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard in rock music. Fell in love with his vocal chords in the early '90s. But Cornell was so much more than a singer, he was first and foremost a superb songwriter.

His first solo album is fantastic, showed his ability to write great songs that stick in the mind, not long after he split from his band Soundgarden.

I'm singing along to your tunes in your honor dude ! punk
    And I'll shed a couple of tears during your heart-breaking singing in "Steel Rain". cry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017

Has everyone been able to reach the page or is wordpress asking for a password. Someone responded to me today saying this was the case
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017
    Yep, asking for a password!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017
    NP: DIVERSIONS (Orbital)

I need some diversions right about now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://naxos2017.wordpress.com/

that should work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    apparently the address had to do with the edit portion of wordpress.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017
    sdtom wrote

that should work.

Yep! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017
    have to make sure I use that address
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017 edited
    A review of jazz material. What attracted my attention among the tracks was a nice "Green Dolphin Street"

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017
    NP : AND GOD CREATED GREAT WHALES - Alan Hovhaness

One of the great American composers IMO. Great piece and selection of great pieces on this album, I love it and it's had many plays from me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    not as many plays for me but I like the piece
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    having a listen to Shostakovich, his hamlwt overture, trumpet concerto, and orchestral version of his 8th quartet. Will review
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017
    Shostakovich String Quartet #8 a powerful work and one that has been used in films the last one being the lobster
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017
    sdtom wrote
    not as many plays for me but I like the piece

I like all the pieces on the album.

I see you're on a Shostakovitch kick right now. Can't go wrong with Dmitri.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017 edited
    I am not too familiar with Shostakovich except for a few pieces I know through my dad. I like the more pounding aggressive side of his music, if you know what I mean. Young James Horner was definitely influenced by him.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You and your "pounding, aggressive stuff", Gilles! wink Don't you ever feel like relaxing with some calm, soothing material?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017 edited
    Oh yeah, there's a desire to listen to that once in a while. But it's not my main interest in music.

But to put it more clearly into numbers. My fave band is Dream Theater. They produce progressive rock / metal music that is always melodic. They have done about 15 % more mellow, softer stuff, and the other 35 % is a bit more, shall we say, uptempo, and quite pulse pounding when played at a sufficient volume. Then there's the other 50 % that makes me go head-banging, because the percussion and guitars are instructing me to do so. That should give you an idea what sort of music in general I prefer to listen to. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I know....just dissin' you a bit, old friend. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    I am not too familiar with Shostakovich except for a few pieces I know through my dad. I like the more pounding aggressive side of his music, if you know what I mean. Young James Horner was definitely influenced by him.

Actually, I think the Shostakovich influence started to be more prominent in his later career. Nothwithstanding the combination of his Fifth Symphony (the Largo, one of my favourite orchestral pieces ever) with Khachaturian's Adagio from Gayane (famous from 2001, reused by Horner in Aliens in a scene that, I think, actually is a 2001 homage). His later war scores, especially Enemy at the Gates is based on Shostakovich's sense of dissonance (and another bit from the Largo is adapted in The Hunter Becomes the Hunted). The underscore in Windtalkers is a slightly more "personal" (as in more filtered through his own style). And then the most obvious lift: Slightly reworked, the theme from the final movement of the Fifth Symphony is, essentially, the Achilles theme in Troy. smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Thor wrote
    Yeah, I know....just dissin' you a bit, old friend. smile

Haha, old friend... Funny enough I'm listening to Shore's The Hobbit right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Listening to quite a unique Russian composer who was a pulitzer prize winning chemist and did music writing as a hobby. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017
    Vito Lo Re. Anyone familiar with his work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Boris (not Peter) Tchaikovsky's War Suite for Quartet with piano and clarinet solos. The suite is based on his score for the 1964 film "While the Front is In Defence."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCYTHIAN SUITE - Sergei Prokofiev

Awesomely barbaric music.