• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2017
    NP: BARBER ADAGIOFOR STRINGS. This is an important piece of music in 20th century music
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    NP: BARBER ADAGIOFOR STRINGS. This is an important piece of music in 20th century music

Overplayed and overused to the extent of "evergreen", but a brilliant classic nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. To that you probably always have to add:

Screw you, Oliver Stone!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

Overplayed and overused to the extent of "evergreen", but a brilliant classic nonetheless.

Sometimes when I get sick of its string orchestral arrangement, I'll listen to the original string quartet version. It's much more intimate.
  2. Barber's Adagio must be one of the most temp-tracked pieces of classical music. From time to time you come across string passages that seem inspired by it. My brain fails me to come up with any concrete example though. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. While the chord progression and overall evolution is totally different, I sometimes am wondering if it didn't inform the whole three descending notes concept of Journey to the Line.

It has impacted Hans' work a lot as you can most notably hear in the highly dramatic cues from Tears of the Sun.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

I loved it much more when it wasn't overused. The Elephant Man and most particularly Platoon made it super popular, whether used in war documentaries, televised fund raisers for starving countries, a pop hit complete with beats and even lampooned in many comedy shows has diluted its impact for me.

I now have no desire to play a piece I once loved.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I found it intersting that it was coupled with Shostakovich's 5th Symphony, a loud brash affair for much of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

I loved it much more when it wasn't overused. The Elephant Man and most particularly Platoon made it super popular, whether used in war documentaries, televised fund raisers for starving countries, a pop hit complete with beats and even lampooned in many comedy shows has diluted its impact for me.

I now have no desire to play a piece I once loved.

All true. But I think its usage in presidential funerals way back (JFK and the like) was when it first started to attain 'evergreen' status.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed Thor, it may well have been my earliest exposure to the piece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree to its overuse I can liken to popular tunes such as Somewhere Over The Rainbow. The general public relates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017
    MARTIN SCHERBER SYMPHONY NO. 2 IN B MINOR If you're looking for a dark work this is it. While there are 5 movements there is no pause between.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017
    MARTIN SCHERBER, YOU SAY?!??
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017
    wink
  4. NP: Phaedra (1973) - Tangerine Dream

The cult album that made Tangerine Dream. You don't look for lush melodies here but for carefully structured ever evolving textures.

Volker
  5. NP: The Balcony

This song by Danish folk group The Rumours Said Fire from their 2010 album The Arrogant is currently on heavy rotation due to addiction on my part. It's a charming homage to Simon and Garfunkel and was seemingly sort of a hit in Denmark.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2017
    NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny Group

Awesome album.
  6. NP: The Best of Bucks Fizz. But, hush, don't tell anyone!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2017
    PLAYING BUCKS FIZZ DID YOU SAY CAPTAIN?
  7. biggrin Yeah. And actually there are some pretty good songs there. Land of Make Believe is a personal favourite since childhood.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017
    I see you're making your mind up wink
  8. NP: Lounge Legends: James Last

No polonaise here, no polka, no overdubbed reverby whining violins, but a surprisingly bluesy side of James Last.
    I recommend the anthology: John Barry, Roberto Delgado, Sammy Davis Junior, Burt Bacharach, Lee Hazelwood, France Gall ...

Volker
  9. To commemorate Martijn's birthday I just played The Nits, In the Dutch Mountains. Wherever there are mountains in the Netherlands. Maybe there is one in Martijn's garden. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017
    NP: SHOSTAKOVICH SYMPHONY NO. 5 A REFERENCE RECORDING WITH THE PITTSBURCH MANFRED HOSLECK RECORDING.
    This symphony has really grown on me part in fact to this superior recording. The liner notes are detailed and explain a lot of what happened prior tot his work and the changes Shostakovich was forced to make under Stalin but how cleverly Shostakovich managed to retain his personal ideas. I'm preaching to the choir when I tell you how he has influenced Horner and others.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2017
    NP: THE VISITORS (ABBA)

Brilliant album; their last and best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2017
    The more I listen to classical music the more I appreciate it compared to the inferior material they produce today
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017 edited
    www.naxos2017.wordpress.com
    The review of the Shostakovich
  10. sdtom wrote
    The more I listen to classical music the more I appreciate it compared to the inferior material they produce today

Apples and oranges, Tom.
  11. Exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2017
    NP: BALAKIREV SYMPHONY NO. 2 AND RUSSIA

Balakirev was a member of the Mighty Five, the leader who formed a free school with Cui, Moussorgsky, Borodin, and Rimsky Korsakov. While he never attained the status of Rimsky-Korsakov his work is pleasant to listen to and having a CD or two in your classical collection is a good idea. Very much the Russian sound.
    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8550793
    Tom smile