• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2021
    NP: TWISTED (Hallucinogen)

This pioneering 1996 album is one of the cornerstones of psytrance. Much "cleaner" in sound than, say, Infected Mushroom or Juno Reactor.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    ... Much "cleaner" in sound than, say, Infected Mushroom or Juno Reactor.

I was just thinking that myself.

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2021
    NP: WINDOWS IN THE JUNGLE (10CC)

This 1983 album is the latest one I own of 10CC (I own 8 in total), and it's obviously not on par with their earlier albums. But it's still Godley/Creme goodness without that actual dynamic duo, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2021
    Thor wrote
    NP: WINDOWS IN THE JUNGLE (10CC)

This 1983 album is the latest one I own of 10CC (I own 8 in total), and it's obviously not on par with their earlier albums. But it's still Godley/Creme goodness without that actual dynamic duo, IMO.

I like this post.
  2. Howard Skempton - Lento

Great piece, very mystical in a Vaughan-Williams/The Thin Red Line kind of way.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2021
    NP: INNOVISIONS (Giorgio Moroder)

Sometimes, I'm a sucker for these super-produced 80s pop hits. Album includes frequent Moroder collaborators Joe Esposito and Paul Engemann (of SCARFACE fame). Also includes Sylvester Levay and Harold Faltermeyer among the personell, so it's all pretty starstudded. Moroder is kinda unrecognizable on the cover, methinks (his moustache-free period).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021
    NP: TALKING BOOK (Stevie Wonder)

I think I might prefer this over the much-revered SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE. Something about the Hohner clavinet that gets me every time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2021 edited
    NP: DARK SKY ISLAND (Enya)

So far her last album (it's from 2015), but it's all very classic her. Need some soothing music to start off the work week (yesterday was our constitution day).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2021
    NP: RARITIES (Eric Woolfson)

Some rare Woolfson songs I've collected over the years (most of them pre-APP). Great stuff! There's still a lifetime of searching involved to find all of the songs he penned over the years. I've been in touch with his daughter Sally, and even she doesn't have total overview of his entire output.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2021
    NP: AMAZONIA (Jean Michel Jarre)

Still need to get this on CD; it's a wonderful ambient album/sonic experience -- one of his best in years.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: AMAZONIA (Jean Michel Jarre)

Still need to get this on CD; it's a wonderful ambient album/sonic experience -- one of his best in years.

It's interesting to read this compared with several of the entertaing Amazon store reviews.

Personally, I don't like his predominantly effects-ridden ambient efforts and much prefer his more in-your-face catchy tune efforts. And, even then, that's no guarantee that I will like it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2021
    I like both.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    I like both.

I like some.

I really like the ambience of the final track on his WAITING FOR COUSTEAU album - so much so that we used it as a soothing background when Anne was in labour waiting to have a baby.

But there's a lot that needs to be right for me to like something. Things like the quality of the sound palette used, how are the various elements used, etc..

It's similar to my likes and dislikes in film music. I don't have a blanket love for a composer. I need to hear what they do project to project. But, that's true for most people, I suppose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2021 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I really like the ambience of the final track on his WAITING FOR COUSTEAU album - so much so that we used it as a soothing background when Anne was in labour waiting to have a baby.

Fantastic track, especially the longer 40+ minute one. Got it on LP from my uncle for a Christmas or birthday (he's never given me a more tailormade gift before or since), which I then subsequently copied to cassette. I didn't use it for anything as dramatic as a pregnancy, but created a whole storyline/short story in my head as I listened to it. Sort of an abstract mental journey through different exotic locales.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2021 edited
    NP: BLUE ALBUM (Orbital)

When all is said and done, this remains my favourite Orbital album. "Acid Plant" is a surely a tribute to The Sparks' "The Rhythm Thief", released two years earlier?
    I am extremely serious.