• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    that was nasty stuff tim
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    I've been sifting through a pile of LSO Live CDs that I haven't touched for ages; today was mostly Sibelius symphonies, with Walton's no.1 thrown in for variety.

Brahms tomorrow!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds like good listening Jim cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    I just recently had a chance to listen to the 4 Brahm Symphonies.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OBOE CONCERTO IN A MINOR - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Utterly sublime music. This version is the LSO conducted by Sir John Barbirolli.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'ANTARTICA' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

AWESOME! This version is, IMO, the best, the Halle orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli, the only reason I don't play this version more is that the recording is from 1954 and yet despite that it still sounds remarkably good, it's such a stunning version that I insist you give it a listen ( if like me you're a fan of this work ), such a shame that none of the modern recordings come close to this magnificence.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

There is no composer who consistently touches me at such a depth as Vaughan Williams. This one is the LSO conducted by the late Richard Hickox in 1997 who died far too young and never got to finish his RVW recordings, the 7th was the only symphony he didn't get to record.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'ANTARTICA' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

AWESOME! This version is, IMO, the best, the Halle orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli, the only reason I don't play this version more is that the recording is from 1954 and yet despite that it still sounds remarkably good, it's such a stunning version that I insist you give it a listen ( if like me you're a fan of this work ), such a shame that none of the modern recordings come close to this magnificence.

You know how I feel about this work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I do! Have you heard that version Tom?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PILGRIM PAVEMENT - Ralph Vaughan Williams

A short piece for Soprano and Organ. I'm not very familiar with this work, it's very spiritual and moving, I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can only guess that you're on a Vaughan Williams binge? Speaking of which, my dad's just set up some new speakers and is listening to one of his contemporaries; Ronald Binge.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I can only guess that you're on a Vaughan Williams binge? Speaking of which, my dad's just set up some new speakers and is listening to one of his contemporaries; Ronald Binge.

Yes I am! cool

Ronald Binge? Is it Binge's classical work ( of which I've heard none ) or his 'light classics' that became very popular such as Sailing By and Elizabethan Serenade?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Possibly my favourite of his symphonies ( depending on mood wink ), this one is the LSO conducted by Bryden Thomson and is one of my favourite versions, comparable with Vernon Handley's and Andre Previn's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    LSO Live binge continued - Smetana's 'Ma Vlast' followed by Brahms symphonies and serenades.

I may have to follow those up with some Vaughan-Williams!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    LSO Live binge continued - Smetana's 'Ma Vlast' followed by Brahms symphonies and serenades.

I may have to follow those up with some Vaughan-Williams!

You can't go wrong there. cool

I need to dig out Ma Vlast, that's wonderful music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've just found out that I don't have any Smetana on CD and the rest of my LP's are all stored away so I'll have to rectify this by buying some.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I've just found out that I don't have any Smetana on CD and the rest of my LP's are all stored away so I'll have to rectify this by buying some.

shocked
    YES. YOU DO INDEED!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Symphony No. 10 - Gustav Mahler (Carpenter completion)

Quite different from the Deryck Cooke version, but still wonderful in its own way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    Yesterday I listened to the Hobbit, disc 8. Julian has 'read' the audio book haha.
    Unfortunately he hates reading, books with stories that is. He usually listens in bed but in the afternoon he said he was bored so I said why not 'finish your book'.

We have some more audio books. It can be great to have someone tell the story to you. Unfortunately as a mom I never read books to the children, so this could be a nice substitute. Besides, I found out that I can draw & paint while listening to audio books! Saves me some hours. We have some Roald Dahls on audio and also some lectures (if that means 'hoorcollege' ).

I know this should be in the book topic, but since it's audio, I thought.... wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    It says Now Playing, I think that counts Bregje smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011 edited
    NP : WATERCOLORS - Pat Metheny

This is a beautiful and memorizing album, I don't play it very often as I prefer Metheny's 'full on' sound, this is very minimal and incredibly relaxing.

Here's a sample track...

OASIS

Oddly enough, it really does want to make me get a set of watercolours and do some painting, give it a listen, it really is quite hypnotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I do! Have you heard that version Tom?

I haven't. Maybe you could send it to me.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    I will smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012 edited
    NP : OUR TOWN - Aaron Copland

Wonderful music and a favourite of James Horner's wink

oops! wrong thread shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    NP : SYMPHONY # 1 - David Bedford

Brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    NP : OUR TOWN - Aaron Copland

Wonderful music and a favourite of James Horner's wink

oops! wrong thread shame

Very nice Copland. Not my favorite but I still like it a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BEST OF.... (Electric Light Orchestra)

Excellent, rare compilation from 1994. Have I told you the story how listening to this instantly reminds me of Stephen King?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE BEST OF.... (Electric Light Orchestra)

Excellent, rare compilation from 1994. Have I told you the story how listening to this instantly reminds me of Stephen King?

Yes you have wink

Of their albums I'd recommend OUT OF THE BLUE and FACE THE MUSIC, both feature great non-hit tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've listened to the Electric Light Orchestra before
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I've listened to the Electric Light Orchestra before
    Tom

Cool! I would think that the orchestral element would make it interesting for you, even though it's still very much rock'n'roll.
    I am extremely serious.