• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    NP: BIBLE OF DREAMS (Juno Reactor)

punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012
    Shostakovich The Jazz Album just shows how versatile he was as a composer.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    Piano concerto No. 1 Rachmaninov

I was recently advised to leave a certain score for those who love the finer things in life (wink), so I obliged and now I'm listening to this instead.

Bam.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

It's a lovely album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012
    Obrigado Brasil - Yo Yo Ma and friends

A lovely collection of interpretations Brazilian songs and classical works as well as original works.
    I'm not a big fan of Yo Yo Ma's, and here too to me it's really the peripheral musicians that make the CD....but it is a thoroughly sunny and joyful collection, which I enjoy very much.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012
    I'm listening to a ballet suite Shostakovich created from his flop The Bolt. It was eventually banned by Stalin.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012
    After playing some BEACH BOYS earlier I've been looking at a few videos, here's a fantastic track but can you spot the one on the strongest drugs?

BREAKAWAY
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Rite of Spring - Igor Stravinsky (Daniel Harding & New York Philharmonic)

This piece never fails to amaze me. Sheer brilliance, and such an influence on film music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

What is this? It sounds interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/mystery-clip/

William this is a different side of Shostakovich that is very interesting. Read the review and decide for yourself. The Bolt is very early on as is the Jazz Suite No. 1. He was young carefree and hadn't yet been influenced by Stalin.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I'll check it out! Thanks for the link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My pleasure
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Ryuichi Sakamoto - Out of Noise

Pleasant and some unpleasant (but not necessarily bad) pieces with piano, electric, nature and weird sounds... it's nice to play in background while writing cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Vangelis - Oceanics

Studio album. Very relaxing, soothing and beautiful.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Oceanics

Fantastic album, one of my favourites by the master.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Possibly my favourite studio album by Vangelis out of, really, two I've heard (Voices is the other one, I am very interested in The City though). And I tend to prefer those albums to his film scores, with the possible exception of Blade Runner, which last year became a very personal score to me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012
    William wrote
    NP: The Rite of Spring - Igor Stravinsky (Daniel Harding & New York Philharmonic)

This piece never fails to amaze me. Sheer brilliance, and such an influence on film music!

Shostakovich thought it was given too much attention.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    William wrote

Tom

Really? I didn't know that and maybe in retrospect he has a point, it IS an incredibly influential work and of that there is no doubt ( and not just on film music William ), maybe there was some envy on shostakovitch part? Whatever, the likes of Shostakovitch and many other early 20th century composers are just as important and perhaps don't get the same kudos that they deserve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Oceanics

Fantastic album, one of my favourites by the master.

Love it indeed, great atmosphere. Very nostalgic and soothing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    BASQUE MUSIC COLLECTION Volume 11
    music by Luis DePablo

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Dri … ame_role=1

Arturo Tamayo conducts the Basque National Orchestra in 2 works by DePablo on the Claves label.

The 1st piece on the program is "Danzas Secretas" (written in 2007) for Harp & Orchestra. Everything about this selection is superb: the performances, the sound recording quality, and - of course - the music.
    Any words of mine attempting to describe it will fail to do it justice. However, if anybody is familiar with music Dominic Frontiere wrote for the 1st season of THE OUTER LIMITS and loves the prominent presence of the harp (both in short phrases and in longer cascading arpeggios) in episodes like "Controlled Experiment" and "The Forms Of Things Unknown", then this disc is worth a blind buy.

The other work on the program is "Frondoso Misterio", completed in 2002, for Cello & Orchestra.
    This opus is not as endearing to me as its album counterpart, plus there's a number of other works by DePablo that I have on other albums which I'd prefer to recommend in its place (but that's another story).

Luis DePablo was born in 1930, and himself has scored dozens upon dozens of films in his native Spain throughout the 1960s & 1970s. The highest profile Spanish-language films DePablo worked on are several directed by Carlos Saura (like PEPPERMINT FRAPPE) and Victor Erice (THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE, which is in the Criterion Collection)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD - ELTON JOHN

cool

Any fans, check out this great performance of Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, with orchestra conducted by JNH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAXkdZFW8D0
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    LSH wrote

cool

Any fans, check out this great performance of Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, with orchestra conducted by JNH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAXkdZFW8D0

I know, that whole concert was amazing! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    William wrote

Tom

Really? I didn't know that and maybe in retrospect he has a point, it IS an incredibly influential work and of that there is no doubt ( and not just on film music William ), maybe there was some envy on shostakovitch part? Whatever, the likes of Shostakovitch and many other early 20th century composers are just as important and perhaps don't get the same kudos that they deserve.

I'm reading a biography called "Shostakovich: A Life Remembered" by Elizabeth Wilson. I didn't know he died from smoking and vodka. He use to drink it in very large glasses at his meals and other times.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited
    Composer - Anthony Hopkins

Rather surprised to not see any discussion of this here. Excellent live recording made at Birmingham Symphony Hall last July with the CBSO conducted by Michael Seal.

Unsubtle, but rather entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    William wrote

Tom

I agree completely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    More will be revealed in the book I'm reading. Shostakovich was an incredible talent.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    markrayen wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

It is, I know. Got it on DVD. The performances of Take Me To The Pilot and Philadelphia Freedom are highlights for me as well.

NP: FORWARDS - THE EGG

It's Friday evening, so out come the beers and smooth tunes.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    markrayen wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

It is, I know. Got it on DVD. The performances of Take Me To The Pilot and Philadelphia Freedom are highlights for me as well.

NP: FORWARDS - THE EGG

It's Friday evening, so out come the beers and smooth tunes.

cool

I approve of this post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012
    I approve of this post too.
  3. ETERNAL ECHOES - JOHN BARRY

It's a very laid back album, one that is completely in sync with my current state of mind. Not as consistently wonderful as 'Beyondness' but this is the first time it resonates so clearly, it makes me feel very emotional.

RIP Mr. Barry!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.