• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    ETERNAL ECHOES - JOHN BARRY

It's a very laid back album, one that is completely in sync with my current state of mind. Not as consistently wonderful as 'Beyondness' but this is the first time it resonates so clearly, it makes me feel very emotional.

RIP Mr. Barry!

Yeah, not quite up there with 'Beyondness' but still a lovely abum.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012
    Korngold Symphony in F-sharp. This was written after he left Hollywood in 1952. It is a huge work of 54 minutes, very tonal, but requires a bit of concentration to fully understand what he was trying to do.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Vangelis - China

Thanks to a very young pal of mine (he's literally 11 years younger than me) I am discovering Vangelis. This is a studio album inspired by the country stated in the title of the album. Interesting sounds in the first track for sure. It is my first listen.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012
    Better late than never smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. It's a brilliant album, too. One of my favourites from the man. Not as great as Oceanics is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Possibly my favourite studio album by Vangelis out of, really, two I've heard (Voices is the other one, I am very interested in The City though). And I tend to prefer those albums to his film scores, with the possible exception of Blade Runner, which last year became a very personal score to me.

You should give L'APOCALYSE DES ANIMAUX a try....my alltime favourite Vangelis album (in addition to BLADE RUNNER, but that's a film score).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I have Direct on my computer too. And now The City. Will listen to those ASAP.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Possibly my favourite studio album by Vangelis out of, really, two I've heard (Voices is the other one, I am very interested in The City though). And I tend to prefer those albums to his film scores, with the possible exception of Blade Runner, which last year became a very personal score to me.

You should give L'APOCALYSE DES ANIMAUX a try....my alltime favourite Vangelis album (in addition to BLADE RUNNER, but that's a film score).

Agree!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny Group

Brilliant album, just brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012 edited
    NP: IRIS - CIRQUE DE SOLEIL (Danny Elfman)

Finally arrived -- a superb score for the stageshow. A perfect blend of his old and new (Glass-ian) style. VERY accessible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nyan,
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Since I'm reviewing Korngold's Symphony I'm listening to it especially the Adagio. There is more than a little reference to the "Death March" from Elizabeth and Essex as well as Kings Row.
    http://www.amazon.com/Korngold-Sea-Hawk … B000007O71
    there are some pretty reasonable copies out there.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE KICK INSIDE - Kate Bush

Her first album and it's pure magic!
  4. Blazin' Fiddles - and a post-Burns Night meal whisky.

beer
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012
    I recognise all those words, but I have no idea what you just wrote? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012
    NP: Love Never Dies - Andrew Lloyd Webber

First listen. Didn't even know about this production until today!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012
    ...where's my garlic, crucifix and silver bullets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    ...where's my garlic, crucifix and silver bullets.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited
    NP : MGV - Michael Nyman

STUNNING!!!! HERE is a little bit of it, very exhilarating music.
  5. Great stuff indeed. So good I include it in my soundtracks favourites playlist.

shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Not a big Nyman fan, but trains and minimalism -- match made in heaven! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "You know, I'm no art critic, but I know what I hate. And ... I don't hate this"
    - Mister Burns
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Great stuff indeed. So good I include it in my soundtracks favourites playlist.

shame

shocked biggrin punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Is that a :like:?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    "You know, I'm no art critic, but I know what I hate. And ... I don't hate this"
    - Mister Burns

GOOD is GOOD! simple!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Is that a :like:?

Yeah, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 50 : MOUNT ST. HELENS - Alan Hovhaness

Astounding work from one of the greatest American composers. I'd happily recommend it to everyone, it's very accessable, very film-music like in places.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Astounding work from one of the greatest American composers. I'd happily recommend it to everyone, it's very accessable, very film-music like in places.

Here's a taster Movement III

I just love the percussion that starts around the 3 minute mark, the piece is book ended by a Vaughan Williams like elegiac music.
  6. Timmer wrote

Agreed. Thoroughly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE VERY BEST OF, VOL. 2 (Manfred Mann's Earthband)

Love the Moog riffs and funky prog grooves. And Chris Thompson's voice, of course!
    I am extremely serious.