• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012
    Didn't like it. Same as Reel Steal. I thought Elfman's output for 2011 was relatively weak.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm confused confused Normally, if D says he likes an Elfman score I'll probably like it too? Thor says Iris is one I'd like? I'll have to check out some sound clips.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Speaking of bhangra with kilts....... shocked tongue

shocked LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! biggrin applause

But yeah, I'm looking at getting some Ogham CDs in (if there are any. I'm sure there must be, though).
    Really enjoyable stuff!

(For bagpiping I really enjoy Clann An Drumma, but those guys are amateurs compared to Ogham!
    Still a great act visually , though.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Didn't like it. Same as Reel Steal. I thought Elfman's output for 2011 was relatively weak.

Wow, I really disagree with that. I thought it was a VERY strong year. Loved REAL STEEL, RESTLESS and IRIS. RESTLESS is probably my favourite, but it sadly doesn't have an official release. But I agree that some parts of IRIS are a bit over-wrought, like the noisy "Movie Studio". Elfman is not very engaging when it comes to brass writing, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I liked the Ogham pieces that Bregje posted cool

Clann an Drumma kill them visually though, I can imagine them on a battlefield full of rile for the enemy..... aka Me, Steven, Jim, Lee, Anthony etc aka The English wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Manwe wrote
    sdtom wrote
    The string quartets of Grieg. I'm preparing for a new version of them for string orchestra

Preparing? As in re-arranging? I did not know you were in the arranging field. I have dabbled a bit myself in re-working pieces in this way and have thought about the Grieg quartets as a potential candidate, as Grieg wrote more expansive parts than most musicians can comfortably play, and never with the force that Grieg seems to want from the ensemble.

Keep us posted on the progress!

When I meant prepare it was for a new Naxos release this month of his quartets rearranged for string orchestra. http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.572441 To prepare for it I felt the need to spend time listening to the works as originally composed. My recording is with the Oslo Philharmonic but I am open to other suggestions.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Speaking of bhangra with kilts....... shocked tongue

shocked LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! biggrin applause

But yeah, I'm looking at getting some Ogham CDs in (if there are any. I'm sure there must be, though).
    Really enjoyable stuff!

(For bagpiping I really enjoy Clann An Drumma, but those guys are amateurs compared to Ogham!
    Still a great act visually , though.)

Just to make sure you got it right smile :

You can hear Ogham clips on their website, http://www.ogham.nl/ .
    The band has six members, two females for vocals mostly and the rest is instruments like fiddle, guitar, flute and drums. It's folk music, with ballads and upbeat songs, both traditional songs and new ones.

The clip I posted is from the Ogham concert where the four bagpipe players were guests. They are not members of Ogham so I'm not sure if there are any bagpipes in the Ogham albums?

And to be complete, the bagpipe players are from Antwerp District Pipes and Drums, so from a traditional pipe band: http://www.adpb.be/nieuws.php
    The piper who started with the flute is Thomas Kerkhof. I know him from when we were both playing as a child. He even went to Scotland to play bagpipe top level for two years. He really is among the best.
    smile

Thanks for the other clip, never heard of Clann An Drumma!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

Thanks!
    I did get confused and was indeed looking for the Ogham band when my frame of reference was the Ogham concert!

Clearly I didn't read properly. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012 edited
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 38 "PRAGUE" (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)

Lush and playful and stately, this is performed by the Freiburg Barochorchester under René Jacobs.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLOW BY BLOW - Jeff Beck

Great album.

DIAMOND DUST

The orchestrations are courtesy of George Martin, some very nice photos in this link too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012
    NP : SYMPHONY # 1 - David Bedford

Fantastic work, I love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TWELVE HOURS OF SUNSET - David Bedford

Very subtle orchestral/choral work, very transcendental, very much love it! This could easily be a less harsh version of Ligeti's music for the end of 2001 A Space Odyssey.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012
    NP : THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION - Eddie Kendricks

Classic early 70's funk cool chicken
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

"spiritual" read into that what you will, there's not much out there moves me more than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012
    NP: VOICES FROM THE MIDDLE AGES (various)

CD 5 of the massive Harmonia Mundi 30-CD boxed set. This one is a bit challenging, with lots of Gregorian chants by the likes of Hildegard von Bingen and other anonymous songs.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012
    NP: CLASSICAL SPECTACULAR (various)

Haven't listened to this 2CD set from Carlton in, like, ages. Bought in my early days of classical exploration and containing, well....famous classical 'spectacular' evergreens like the Wilhelm Tell overture, Stars and Stripes Forever, Pomp and Circumstance etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    NP: HERZELEID (Rammstein)

punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    NP: Symphony No. 9 - Gustav Mahler

New recording with Alan Gilbert and the New York Philharmonic. Fantastic. This is the symphony that got me into classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012
    NP: THE VISITORS (ABBA)

My favourite album of theirs after the B&B's CHESS musical. Awesome riffs and melancholic melodies.

Gregorian music, classical evergreens, Rammstein, ABBA....I've been in a diverse mood lately.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mayhap some Cajun music next eh Thor? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Mayhap some Cajun music next eh Thor? wink

Good idea. I have a couple of albums by the band Food for Feet, which is in cajun territory (some of it, anyway). smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like Cajun music, just not too much of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's my favourite film featuring CAJUN MUSIC
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I like Cajun music, just not too much of it.

Small doses, most definitely!

I like the O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU soundtrack, as well as some alternative/rock-ified versions. Not so keen on the traditional stuff. Some friends (or rather acquaintances of mine) have a band called Ila Auto, which has become rather famous here in Norway. Here's a video of them playing on the tram in Oslo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E74Ed6KS … re=related

It may be more bluegrass-inspired than Cajun, but I was never really sure where the line between them is drawn.

They also did a song about my own neighbourhood, Fagerborg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3pp1WTF … re=related
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, they're good!!! cool

I'd say more bluegrass but as you say it is hard to define lines between styles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CHRONICLE, VOL. 2 (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Our debate spurred me to play some good ol', raw, rock'n'roll.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012 edited
    NP : SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND - The Beatles

Choice! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012
    't Most assuredly is. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2012
    cool beer
  1. NP: The new album from Twins In Mind called Sad In Joy
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)