• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012
    Listening to the music of Alexander Scriabin. Great stuff. If you're a fan of older film scores, or really love music that grips you, emotionally, you should really check his music out. It has my heartstrings and won't let go.
  1. A composer I have yet to discover.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes indeed, AWESOME composer!

MYSTERIUM
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012
    NP: FREE AS A BIRD (Supertramp)

Not their best album (drum kits galore!), as it's too slick, but some good songs.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    Got a release from Delos to review which my initial reaction was yuk. It is called To The Fore! Symphonic Band Music of Percy Grainger. What a wonderful surprise when I started to listen to this very creative composer who I knew very little about. I understand from reading that he composed a piece for four theremins which sounds really interesting.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    NP: RARITIES (Eric Woolfson)

Diggin' the old 60's songs (and other things) by one of the greatest (and most underrated) songwriters of all time. RIP, Eric.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Disco tunes on BBC4. Classic tunes from my childhood.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    Urgh. The phrase 'classic' is getting a wee eroded here...

(Really yellow wee too. Hee hee hee.
    God, I'm puerile shame )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012 edited
    How about this non-Classic offering of contemporary (1994 through 2004) music by Harrison Birtwistle?

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Dri … _id=411889

-) Shadow of Night
    -) Night's Black Bird
    -) Cry of Anubis (for Tuba and Orchestra)

Each work is a superlative specimen of challenging/uncompromising abstract composition.
    All above performed by "The Halle" under direction of Ryan Wigglesworth.
    The New York Times is quoted on the reverse side of this NMC CD with their statement: "An invaluable disc".
    On this rare occasion, I thoroughly agree with the critical hyperbole being lauded onto this album (which is true this time around, and not just simply name-dropping commercial plugs)!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012
    Spartacus the complete ballet from Khachaturian.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    NP: BREATHLESS (Camel)

People have been recommended this band to me for ages, since I like stuff like Supertramp or Alan Parsons etc. But I have yet to really 'grab' them. It's not really in the same league or even the same sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    Thor wrote
    NP: BREATHLESS (Camel)

People have been recommended this band to me for ages, since I like stuff like Supertramp or Alan Parsons etc. But I have yet to really 'grab' them. It's not really in the same league or even the same sound.

I quite like them though I haven't heard any for a long time. My favourite is THE SNOW GOOSE, an instrumental album with orchestrations by Mike Oldfield's old collaborater David Bedford.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012
    NP : VERSIONS IN JAZZ DUB - The Modern Sound of Nicola Conte

Great stuff! Very latino flavoured/bossa nova etc.
  3. Can I again put in a word for the music of Ezio Bosso?

http://www.eziobosso.com/en/music.html

Towards the top of this page, ten pieces from a recent concert of his are available streaming. 'Clouds' and 'Rain in your black eyes' are both very affecting.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012
    'Clouds' was beautiful! Very impressed, I'm going to listen to more of his works tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012
    NP : FIRST CIRCLE - Pat Metheny Group

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012
    NP: PERFECTO PRESENTS....ANOTHER WORLD (Paul Oakenfold)

One of my favourite DJ set CD's by Oakie. Even includes a beautiful version of the BLADE RUNNER theme.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012
    William wrote
    Listening to the music of Alexander Scriabin. Great stuff. If you're a fan of older film scores, or really love music that grips you, emotionally, you should really check his music out. It has my heartstrings and won't let go.

His works are superb.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012
    NP: THE DIVISION BELL (Pink Floyd)

I have a strong connection to this for many reasons. But it's just a great album in its own right too, very "Gilmour".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012 edited
    NP: HERE'S WHAT I'M HERE FOR (Harold Arlen)

1957 album featuring a young John Williams (and his band) on piano and arrangements. Smooth jazz standards, from the ultra-famous ("Somewhere over the Rainbow") to the not-so-much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote

1957 album featuring a young John Williams (and his band) on piano and arrangements. Smooth jazz standards, from the ultra-famous ("Somewhere over the Rainbow") to the not-so-much.

My favorite Arlen song is "The Gal That Got Away" sung by Judy Garland. Is this standard included? I would love to get a burn of this CD.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

My favorite Arlen song is "The Gal That Got Away" sung by Judy Garland. Is this standard included? I would love to get a burn of this CD.
    Tom

That particular song isn't included, I'm afraid.

If you can take mp3 files, I can help you out with a copy of the album, Tom. Just PM me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Urgh. The phrase 'classic' is getting a wee eroded here...

(Really yellow wee too. Hee hee hee.
    God, I'm puerile shame )

Perhaps there should be more than one category? Maybe one for 'serious' classical music and one for pop?
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012
    NP : THE LARK ASCENDING - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Needed.

Night' sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012 edited
    NP: CHAMBER SYMPHONY- Shostakovich This work is based on his eighth string quartet and was arranged by Barshai. The 8th String Quartet is somewhat autobiographical.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012
    NP: SPARTACUS- Khachaturian This is a complete recording of the ballet (2 CD's) from Capriccio. Melodic and one can definitely hear that this score produced some film music influences.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    NP: KIND OF BLUE - MILES DAVIS

Sometimes you approach the CD cabinet and you know exactly what you want to listen to. For me, at this precise moment in time, this is it.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    What's a CD cabinet?