• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012
    Various (Including- Sea songs)- Ralph Vaughan Williams
    And some of the Corries. Wha Winda Fecht For Charlie!! beer
  1. Daphnis et Chloé Ravel

Just listened to this for the first time ever while making crab cakes (also for the first time ever!) What a stunner (The music, haven't tasted the crab cakes yet!). Thanks to Timmer for the recommendation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
    NP: ARE YOU SHPONGLED? (Shpongle)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
    RHAPSODY ON MOLDAVIAN THEMES (1949) from Mieczyslaw Weinberg. Talk about obscure but that is what Naxos is all about sometimes. It is a slow building tone poem that offers incredible dynamic range. It offers a rousing frantic dance.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Is the composer Polish?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012
    Yes he is.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    sdtom wrote
    RHAPSODY ON MOLDAVIAN THEMES (1949) from Mieczyslaw Weinberg. Talk about obscure but that is what Naxos is all about sometimes. It is a slow building tone poem that offers incredible dynamic range. It offers a rousing frantic dance.
    Tom

Hello, Tom.

"Obscure" is a relative term when there exits many different levels of experiences. Weinberg might be obscure to most listeners, but there's more than 60 classical music albums containing his music.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Nam … r/127444-1

Never heard any his music myself, but nevertheless I'm aware that he (using the name Moisey Vainberg) scored a well-distributed Soviet film from 1957 called "The Cranes Are Flying".
    Even though of Polish origin, Weinberg is typically associated so much with Russian composers that Wikipedia lists Weinberg as "the third great Soviet composer, along with Prokofiev and Shostakovich".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Daphnis et Chloé Ravel

Just listened to this for the first time ever while making crab cakes (also for the first time ever!) What a stunner (The music, haven't tasted the crab cakes yet!). Thanks to Timmer for the recommendation.

beer

How was the crab cakes?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cobweb wrote

Hello, Tom.

Never heard any his music myself, but nevertheless I'm aware that he (using the name Moisey Vainberg) scored a well-distributed Soviet film from 1957 called "The Cranes Are Flying".
    Even though of Polish origin, Weinberg is typically associated so much with Russian composers that Wikipedia lists Weinberg as "the third great Soviet composer, along with Prokofiev and Shostakovich".

As much as I like Shostakovich the first composer I think of from Russia is Tchaikovsky. I don't know if I agree with their evaluation.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd like to know where Wiki got that information.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    I'd like to know where Wiki got that information.

Doesn't make sense to me at all
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    Got a Eugene Zador CD of his classical work. Anyone know who he is?
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    Nope!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012 edited
    NP: SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE (Supertramp)

Going through all my Supertramps (and solo albums) in chronological order. I'm already up to this comeback album from 1996, after they had been dormant since 1987 (much like their recent break, in fact). More jazzy/bluesy, obviously, as that was Davies' thing (as opposed to Hodgson's more pop-oriented stuff).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012
    I can't believe no one knows. I'm going to wait until Martijn sees this one before I say.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I just googled him and now see why you mentioned Martijn, I think I did know somewhere in my distant collective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Very talented indeed
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll be interested to hear what you think of his classical work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can tell you this. It is not Rozsa sounding material at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/f … orkszador/

The review of the Zador CD.
    Tom
  3. Cello Concerto in B minor Dvorak

Wonderful from beginning to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012
    Francesca Da Rimini, Op. 32 a symphonic fantasia after Dante: Tchaikovsky. This is a 1991 recording from Russia. It is a classic tone poem telling the story of tragic love. Tchaikovsky must have gotten behind this one as he composed it in a mere three weeks. Upon careful listen one can hear the influence that Lizst and Wagner had upon him. There was a section of it used in a controversial film (at least to soundtrack enthusiasts). Does anyone know the name of the film?
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do you know Tom or do you want someone to answer the question?

I do know the answer smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I know the question is do you know my friend
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes I do. I'll let someone else have a try, failing that I'll answer myelf tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GODS AND MONSTERS (Juno Reactor)

Their latest album. More dub than psytrance, but cool!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012
    sounds good to me
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    sounds good to me
    Tom

What? Juno Reactor?! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't even know what Juno Reactor is. Just go ahead and give the answer or I will.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It was used in Hitchcock's Torn Curtain.