• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012
    I was thinking classical as you know my brain would.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012
    Part of Francesca da Rimini by Tchaikovsky
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012 edited
    Is anyone familiar with the American composer Paul Creston? I'm listening to his 3rd Symphony and am quite taken with it.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012
    Not at all, what can you compare it to Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012 edited
    NP : Gilles Peterson on BBC Radio 6

A wonderful DJ set of everything from Frank Sinatra to modern stuff, mostly jazz and chill out including early chill such as Les Baxter's exotica music. hardly any of it is anything that would get played on popular stations.

Most enjoyable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012
    While the third symphony got its premiere in 1950 the sound is definitely not atonal. He bases the three movement work on Gregorian chant themes and proceeds to expand upon them. His sound, at least on this work, is very accessible.
    Tom
  1. KEANE - STRANGELAND

Their latest and as always I love Tom Chaplin's vocal. While not as great as their debut 'Hopes and Fears' this is very nice and easy listening and the catchy tunes make me smile.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012
    Mahler Symphony No. 1 "Titan"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012
    NP : SYMPHONY # 11 'THE YEAR 1905' - Dmitri Shostakovitch

Ahhhhhhhhhh, BLISS! Real music. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012
    Top 10 for Russian symphonies on most lists
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012 edited
    NP: AN AMERICAN PARIS George Gershwin. Got a recording with the Seattle Symphony performing. It is a work that is close to my heart as I've studied and played this piece numerous times and the brass got no holiday so I was active but I can tell you that we certainly didn't sound close to what the Seattle did on this clever, schmalzy, wonderful composition. It shares space with Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite. This has a similar if not better sound to the older Telarc Kunzel recordings. If you want an eye opener this one is it.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/2642/

Review of American in Paris
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice review Tom and I'll be buying this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THIS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

A lovely show and the man had, as you would expect, great taste.

Anyways...

Ron Goodwin makes his eight choices on Desert Island Discs. Interestingly, both Rozsa and Goodwin choose Ravel's DAPHNIS ET CHLOE as one of their castaway pieces but only Goodwin chooses a piece of film music, Rozsa's Love Theme from BEN-HUR cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012 edited
    NP : BRIAN BLESSED

p.s. What's going on? Brian also chooses Ravel's DAPHNIS ET CHLOE as one of his castaway choices shocked cool Good to see he also picked a quality piece of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This morning my selection is another classic Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 3 'Scottish' While it is third in chronological order it was the last symphony he completed in 1842, although he made a visit to Scotland in 1829 and the ideas were formed at that time. His style is more like Mozart than such contemporary composers as Berlioz.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    NP : INCANTATIONS - Mike Oldfield

Love this work, I really do! Oldfield is a natural modern successor to Vaughan Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Love this work, I really do! Oldfield is a natural modern successor to Vaughan Williams.

Vaughan Williams can't be compared to Mike Oldfield.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I knew you'd say that Tom wink What they both share is music that is often based on traditional British folk melodies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In that respect you could compare them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    NP : FACE THE MUSIC - Electric Light Orchestra

Lovely!
  2. I was watching a TV documentary on Sky Arts 2, "Here's A Piano I Prepared Earlier". Discussing experimental music of the sixties and seventies, it was quite an eye-opener in terms of the extent to which composers of the time veered away from tonal and melodic music. One of the composers whose work was featured was Cornelius Cardew, a name I had never heard of before.

But, the inclusion of the Portsmouth Sinfonia in this programme answered a question I have had unanswered for many years. This orchestra's work - an orchestra where the musicians were actually non-musicians, or if they were musicians they had to play instruments they were unfamiliar with - I first became aware of at high school where I remember hearing an LP of theirs played in a music class. Why I remember their work from so long ago will become apparent from the following videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLsFGgfv … re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wiRivDM … re=related

Classic!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012
    I read that Cornelius Cardew was a friend of Richard Rodney Bennett.
    While I've never heard anything by Cardew before, he likely belongs to the same generation of British composers, like Harrison Birtwistle and Peter Maxwell Davies, who were the proponents of modernism in the U.K.
  3. Cobweb wrote
    I read that Cornelius Cardew was a friend of Richard Rodney Bennett.
    While I've never heard anything by Cardew before, he likely belongs to the same generation of British composers, like Harrison Birtwistle and Peter Maxwell Davies, who were the proponents of modernism in the U.K.

The likes of Birtwistle and Maxwell Davies did not feature in the documentary, but there were profiles of American composers John Cage, Terry Reilly and Steve Reich, as well as their British counterparts Gavin Bryars and Michael Nyman.

It was interesting to read on the YouTube comments that Nyman and Brian Eno played with the Portsmouth Sinfonia.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012 edited
    Where to begin!

Portsmouth Sinfonia - "Classical Muddley" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQMBsomNLVw

Modelled on "Hooked On Classics". Tim, did you get this when it came out? wink

(Those of nervous disposition - or who have any musical taste - look away now!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely............................................ NOT! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hooked On Classics! biggrin
    Now that brings back memories!

Loved that when it first came out, roughly 782 years ago.
    ...there's been the occasional second thought since. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012
    Tri-corder readings indicate the presense of classical corruption, captain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 3 'SCOTCH' Felix Mendelssohn