• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012
    NP: The Age Of Swing - The BBC Big Band

A four CD compilation of big band jazz greats from the golden and silver era.
    The performances reach from the very good (like Charlie Barnet's Skyliner, Tommy Dorsey's awesome Pinetop's Boogie or Glenn Miller's marvelously melancholy Serenade in Blue) to the rather mediocre (like -oddly!- the opening and decidely lackluster In The Mood. But then maybe it's just that I know that song so well that any other version simply "doesn't live up").

What a great compilation this is though, overall.
    The recording is close, and warm and lends an extra shine to a great number of classic big band tunes, both uptime and sentimental. Swing had a lot to offer, with technically some powerhouse arranging and instrumentation that takes my breath away at times, and emotionally some serious wallop in any direction.

Grand stuff for a warm, sunny day.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. sdtom wrote
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 3 'SCOTCH' Felix Mendelssohn

That would be the 'Scottish' Symphony Tom.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012
    It sure would be the 'Scottish' Alan. My error.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/g … terpieces/

A new Naxos release
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012 edited
    NP: HORN CONCERTO (John Williams)

One of his most recent concerti. Not a brass buff, but JW can always make something interesting out of whatever instrument he's making a concerto of. It's a modern musical language, but at the same time laced in romanticism.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The Goat Rodeo Sessions Ma, Duncan, Meyer, Thile

Thigh-slappingly good music, the performances are unbelievable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012 edited
    NP: SOMEWHERE IN AFRIKA (Manfred Mann's Earthband)

Great prog rock with tribal vibes. I love their version of The Police's DEMOLITION MAN.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012
    Thor wrote
    NP: HORN CONCERTO (John Williams)

One of his most recent concerti. Not a brass buff, but JW can always make something interesting out of whatever instrument he's making a concerto of. It's a modern musical language, but at the same time laced in romanticism.

I've yet to hear it, surprisingly.
    Tom
  3. I think it's terrific, I picked it up at the same time as "On Willows and Birches" which I think is even better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012 edited
    NP : NIGEL KENNEDY'S GREATEST HITS

Some excellent works here played by the violin virtuoso including Mendelsshon, Bruch, Vivaldi, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Beenthoven and Vaughan Williams.

I expect some of you would guess correctly which popular works are represented.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorutelark
    Does anyone know who did the music for the TV series "The Mentalist".
    Especially the season finale last week on Friday. It was really great.
    Thanks Ute smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    utelark wrote
    Does anyone know who did the music for the TV series "The Mentalist".
    Especially the season finale last week on Friday. It was really great.
    Thanks Ute smile

The main theme is by Blake Neely, but you'd be better off asking this question on the film music NP topic wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorutelark
    Ok, thanks, I found it and googled, someone else I need to check out really!
    Ute
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 1 HERRMANN

This has been a work that has grown on me over the years. I've got both the recordings that are available and I now can say I prefer the Unicorn recording which was conducted by the composer. It is now obvious to me that Herrmann understood his work.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/s … 1herrmann/
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 1 IN G MINOR, OP. 13 TCHAIKOVSKY

This is another work that has grown on me over time. It was beset with problems from the beginning and when it was first performed it wasn't as a complete symphony but only movements. Highly criticized it was eventually revised twice and the work performed today is the result. It was given a name by Tchaikovsky as "Winter Dreams" and is really a supreme effort given it was his first attempt into symphonies. I have a recording with Mikhail Pletnev conducting the Russian National Orchestra. It is a SACD coded for those that have that kind of CD player/system.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012 edited
    NP: La Peste - Alabama 3

Very enjoyable, though ever so slightly ominous (mainly due to an overbundance of minor chords, gospel stylings and techno beats) album from a group that defies pigeonholing. It's a bit of rock, a bit of bluegrass, a bit of dance, a bit of blues, it's...well, it's eclectic.
    But it's very good throughout!
    It's the group's second album (from 2000) and I am rather motivated to seek the other ones out!

You may be surprised to hear you actually know them, from their opening theme to the iconic The Sopranos "Woke Up This Morning".
    The whole album is pretty much in this vein, and I like it. I like it a LOT!

Oh, and notwithstanding the powerful southern states vibe as well as their name, it's actually a Brixton-based outfit. cheesy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Due to a friend of mine working at an event here in Bristol I have a couple of free tickets to see them in a few weeks time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    cool
    Nice!

envy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If you were here I could easily rustle up a ticket for you too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, see, that's not really helping! dizzy

...on the other hand, what's "a couple of weeks"?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't know exact date yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    sdtom wrote
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 1 IN G MINOR, OP. 13 TCHAIKOVSKY

This is another work that has grown on me over time. It was beset with problems from the beginning and when it was first performed it wasn't as a complete symphony but only movements. Highly criticized it was eventually revised twice and the work performed today is the result. It was given a name by Tchaikovsky as "Winter Dreams" and is really a supreme effort given it was his first attempt into symphonies. I have a recording with Mikhail Pletnev conducting the Russian National Orchestra. It is a SACD coded for those that have that kind of CD player/system.
    Thomas smile

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/t … er-dreams/
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    NP: We Rose From Your Bed With The Sun In Our Head Swans
    Live album from the newly reformed Swans. Not for the faint of heart. Classical connections, M. Gira draws a lot from Ligetti, and came out of the same NYC no-wave scene as Glenn Branca (he played in a few of Branca's guitar ensembles), but otherwise, this is slow, droning HEAVY music. I caught the tour and it was easily the most intense show (and loudest) I have ever seen. Glad they put out a live cd to document it. I'm absolutely loving it. That said, if you haven't heard Swans, this is not the best place to start. Their farewell album in '96 "Soundtracks For The Blind" is astounding and diverse. Still a far cry from orchestral music, but the patience and dynamics of songs like "The Sound" aren't too out of place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012 edited
    TO THE FORE: GREAT SYMPHONIC BAND MUSIC PERCY GRAINGER. A great pianist who came from Australia who also came up with some pretty wonderful band music.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 9 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

A superb work and yet this is the RVW symphony I'm least familiar with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
    One of the compositions on the Grainger CD is "Ye Banks and Braes o'Bonnie Doon," one that made me think of Alan.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/t … egrainger/

An interesting one to explore.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012
    To anyone who says that nothing good ever comes out of Eurovision Song Contest. Cutest song and choreography ever.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    To anyone who says that nothing good ever comes out of Eurovision Song Contest. Cutest song and choreography ever.

Peter smile

shocked vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Damn you Peter, that's STUCK in my head now crazy cry