• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    NP : MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA - The Cinematic Orchestra

Jazz/electronica chill out, wonderful stuff.

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011
    never heard of it
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's good stuff Tom, I'm pretty sure you'd like some of it, some of their tracks have been used in documentaries and in films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    It's good stuff Tom, I'm pretty sure you'd like some of it, some of their tracks have been used in documentaries and in films.

Never heard the album, but I've seen the film by Vertov -- one of the silent classics of our time and especially of Russian cinema and documentaries.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You may well like cinematic Orchestra too Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA - The Cinematic Orchestra

Jazz/electronica chill out, wonderful stuff.

cool

That I might like
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: FREUDIANA (Eric Woolfson)

Practically an Alan Parsons Project album, this musical nonetheless bears Woolfson's distinct melodies. Grandiose, melancholic, beautiful.

I don't post on this topic much but I came across a recent cover version of song originally done by The Alan Parsons Project. It was one of those tracks that I have liked but never really found out who sang it. So, I am now listening to the "Essential Alan Parsons Project" and I am quite enjoying a lot of the tracks.

And the track I was initially talking about? "The Turn of A Friendly Card" (though I can't find who sang it when I heard it the other day.) "Sirius" is another track I recognise.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: FREUDIANA (Eric Woolfson)

Practically an Alan Parsons Project album, this musical nonetheless bears Woolfson's distinct melodies. Grandiose, melancholic, beautiful.

I don't post on this topic much but I came across a recent cover version of song originally done by The Alan Parsons Project. It was one of those tracks that I have liked but never really found out who sang it. So, I am now listening to the "Essential Alan Parsons Project" and I am quite enjoying a lot of the tracks.

And the track I was initially talking about? "The Turn of A Friendly Card" (though I can't find who sang it when I heard it the other day.) "Sirius" is another track I recognise.

Good call! "Turn of a Friendly Card" is a drop-dead gorgeous song which only Woolfson could do. So melancholic and powerful, he was like the Delerue of pop artists, IMO. "Sirius" is an evergreen as far as instrumentals go, used in everything from sports events to tv commercials.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The use of "Sirius" on TV is probably where I have heard this before. I am pleased to now have this and "The Turn of A Friendly Card" (Parts 1 and 2!). I can now listen to the remainder of the 2 CD set at my leisure...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Balakirev Symphony No. 2. It was he who started the mighty five.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011
    NP: SUMMON THE HEROES (Williams/various)

The Olympic album he did back in 1996. I guess the "American" feel of many of the songs is fitting for today, but that's just by pure coincidence. I have no intention of playing patriotic American music on 9/11. Quite the contrary. Some reflective music would do. Or nothing at all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011
    NP: THOMAS AND THE KING (John Williams)

His one and only musical. It's quite bad and even grating at times, so I can see why he only did this one (as composer).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011
    NP: VIOLA CONCERTO (John Williams)

One of his later concertos, as of yet officially unreleased. It's in the same style of the violin concerto, although perhaps a bit more modern in tone language.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VIOLIN CONCERTO / FLUTE CONCERTO (John Williams)

The former is probably his most famous concert work, romantic in idiom, but quite modern in style. The flute concerto is one of the most avantgarde things he's done, IMO. Quite challenging.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote

The former is probably his most famous concert work, romantic in idiom, but quite modern in style. The flute concerto is one of the most avantgarde things he's done, IMO. Quite challenging.

Until the La Jolla Quartet
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

Until the La Jolla Quartet

I haven't heard that piece yet, as I don't believe any recording exists -- not even in bootleg format.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011
    As far as the La Jolla Quartet is concerned I don't think it was recorded the night I heard it
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Spellbound Concerto/Rozsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Gadfly/Shostakovich
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011
    NP:
    sdtom wrote
    The Gadfly/Shostakovich

That's a good one! I have the Naxos recording myself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011 edited
    NP: TUBA CONCERTO (John Williams)

Arguably one of his most accesible concert works for an instrument that usually doesn't get a lot of solo attention. This it the Marc Easener recording, not the ol' Chester Schmitz bootleg recording. The CD also includes interesting pieces by contemporary composers Taileffere, Tomassi and Mayuzumi.

And with that, I'm through my Williams walkthrough for now. I haven't posted an NP on all of the items I've played, but most of them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    NP:
    sdtom wrote
    The Gadfly/Shostakovich

That's a good one! I have the Naxos recording myself.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/r … composers/

A new compilation of film music from previously released Marco Polo/Naxos
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alan Parson Project. Tales of Mystery and Imagination
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

shocked

I didn't know you were into stuff like this tom? Thor will be impressed. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote

shocked

Indeed I am. Probably their best album, and the orchestral parts are really like top quality film music or even classical music. Very good choice, Tom! beer
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I still need to buy it on CD, i've had the LP since I was a teenager, hence it's been many years since i've heard it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011
    I got a diamond in the rough yesterday in the mail. A world premiere recording from Ludvig Irgens-Jensen. It is his symphony in d minor. Written in 1942 it was performed by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bjarte Engeset. D minor is a great key for a symphony.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote

shocked

Indeed I am. Probably their best album, and the orchestral parts are really like top quality film music or even classical music. Very good choice, Tom! beer

The orchestral section was and could be used as part of a soundtrack.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JOB : A MASQUE FOR DANCING - Ralph Vaughan Williams

More awesomeness! This work is really rambunctuous at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    very nice Tim