• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    Still listening to Ludvig Irgens - Jensen this morning.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011 edited
    NP: FIVE VARIANTS OF DIVES & LAZARUS (Ralph Vaughan Williams)

A wonderful piece on this EMI disc filled with other great RVM pieces as well. This is the sound of the composer that I like -- the pastoral kind.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011
    Thor wrote

A wonderful piece on this EMI disc filled with other great RVM pieces as well. This is the sound of the composer that I like -- the pastoral kind.

That is a fantastic piece, what other works are on the CD?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

That is a fantastic piece, what other works are on the CD?

FANTASIA ON GREENSLEEVES, THE LARK ASCENDING, ENGLISH FOLK SONG SUITE, THE WASPS OVERTURE, NORFOLK RHAPSODY #1 and obviously FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pretty much a 'greatest hits' compilation. ( and I don't mean that dismissively )

Some of those works have become much more popular in recent decades, when I was much younger people would ask what I was playing with real interest when I played Tallis or Lark, now people often know what they are and who wrote them ( though I'm still talking a minority here, the general public are still pretty ignorant on classical ). The Lark Ascending, in particular has become a British favourite and was voted # 1 favourite piece by listeners of Classic FM for a few years in a row.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Brahms Symphony No. 2
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011 edited
    NP : SCARY MONSTERS ( AND SUPER CREEPS ) - David Bowie

Great album that I haven't played for a very long time, love that title track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHywdqH3F6Y punk

I'd forgotten that the legendary Robert Fripp played guitar on this album, gods it's fookin good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011
    I have the Jensen Symphony in D Minor on again
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/s … 1894-1969/

Finished my review of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey Thor, have you heard about the big Pink Floyd releases?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Hey Thor, have you heard about the big Pink Floyd releases?

I have, but since I already have every single album they ever did, I'm content with that. No need for demos, outtakes, alternates etc. Very impressive packages, though!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed! I am intrigued by a version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Stephane Grapelli that apparantly was to be included on Wish You Were Here.

I'd like to hear the outake/demos etc stuff but I'm with you on being content with what I have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Indeed! I am intrigued by a version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Stephane Grapelli that apparantly was to be included on Wish You Were Here.

I'd like to hear the outake/demos etc stuff but I'm with you on being content with what I have.

I already have some of those demos on various bootlegs, and while they hold some curiousity value, it's not really the first thing I would go for if I want to hear the best version of the song!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    Evard Grieg Two Elegaic Melodies for string orchestra. A wonderful composer probably the classical name in Norway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Evard Grieg Two Elegaic Melodies for string orchestra. A wonderful composer probably the classical name in Norway.

Yup, he's part of the trio of our biggest cultural exports ever - together with Edvard Munch (painting) and Henrik Ibsen (playwright).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2011
    NP: A Primer for Malachi - Bruce Broughton

From the rather good Reel Life - The Private Music of Film Composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011
    NP: Passacaglia-Ludvig Jensen. This is another work from this relatively unknown composer.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE HELP - THOMAS NEWMAN

First listen and really enjoying it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/p … 1894-1969/

the review of the passacaglia
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    NP: Brahms Symphony No. 1 Antal Dorati conducts the London Symphony Orchestra. Had not spun this for a long time and I forgot how powerful of a work it is.
    Tom
  1. NP: Music by Ezio Bosso for dance works of Rafael Bonachela (We Unfold, Music for Weather Elements, etc)

Some of the more beautiful minimalist-influences pieces I've heard. Italian minimalism has a lyrical quality I've always like. Bosso recalls fine work by Alessio Vlad and Ludovico Einaudi here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Brahms Symphony No. 1 Antal Dorati conducts the London Symphony Orchestra. Had not spun this for a long time and I forgot how powerful of a work it is.
    Tom

I haven't played asny Brahms for a long time......probably because I'm too Liszt ( sorry, couldn't help that one shame ), seriously, I need to start listening to him again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been making a point of listening to the first symphonies of a lot of composers and I find this one of the best.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : EARTHWORKS - Bill Bruford

A fine late 80's jazz album, Bruford being the drummer, I believe this album was to showcase up and coming musical talents and they are certainly on show here. Bruford has some pedigree himself having been a member or drummed with such names as King Crimson, Yes and Genesis.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    NP : RUBBER SOUL - The Beatles

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Gargoyles and Chimeras by Vierne. This is downright creepy organ music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Gargoyles and Chimeras by Vierne. This is downright creepy organ music.

You might find this interesting Tom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJKCaGha7nE
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited
    NP: CLASSICAL MUSHROOM (Infected Mushroom)

Awesome psytrance! Doesn't get much funkier than "Disco Mushroom", especially from midway on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote

Awesome psytrance! Doesn't get much funkier than "Disco Mushroom", especially from midway on.

Yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

Yikes

He, he....scared you there for a minute, did it? wink
    I am extremely serious.